dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/09 10:03 a.m.

For those of you in attendance, what cars did you like (or dislike) from an exhaust note perspective?

I'm always surprised at how brutally loud the Corvettes were. We walked almost the entire track and could hear the Corvettes accelerating out of a turn on the other side of the track!

The diesels are eerily quiet but scary fast out of turns.

The GT2 Porsches have an incredibly distinct "bark" when shifting under full throttle.

My favorites were the Acura prototypes. What a beautiful engine note!

curtis
curtis New Reader
3/23/09 11:02 a.m.

i thought the gt40 sounded particularly badass. The porsches did shift with a loud bark.

I dont know if you felt it but the vettes when they came at you in a turn it feels like they are sucking air out of your face. Its crazy i didnt know why but then when i saw the katech motor they run in the booth. wow. ITB's the size of my head. probably was sucking air out of my face.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/23/09 11:08 a.m.

Vettes (P&M and Riley/LG), Panoz, and GT. I couldn't stand the freakin' noise the F430s made when they lifted on the throttle or downshifted, sounded like a dog yakking or something. OOooo I did enjoy the noise that Vantage made, almost like the Panoz or Vette but a bit smoother.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/09 11:16 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I couldn't stand the freakin' noise the F430s made when they lifted on the throttle or downshifted, sounded like a dog yakking or something.

That is so true. When they would stumble through the pits, all that could be heard was snap, crackle and pop. Nothing glorious there. Under full throttle though, they sounded damn sexy.

I too love the Vantage. A-M is doing some great stuff these days!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/23/09 12:14 p.m.

Were the M3's running or did that program get axed?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/23/09 12:49 p.m.

There was one M3 that I saw running at the beginning of the race. It was a gorgeous car, but didn't make it to the end.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/23/09 4:26 p.m.

both eventually got on track during the 12 hour race but were plagued with problems. Sounded nothing like a V8...more like a strait 6.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/24/09 12:22 a.m.

yeah, unfortunately BMW #90 (Hand, Auberlin) was sidlined at the start with ignition issues, and #92 (Mueller, Milner) blew an engine in about the 7th hour...

my favorite sound will always be the GT1 Corvettes.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster New Reader
3/24/09 6:39 a.m.

I remember from last year the Panoz being the loudest ground vehicle I have ever heard. The Corvettes are my favorite though, besides the wind noise of the Audis

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sR1dLqe6UqVrJ9XOX8xw53LFruvAbD1jnTxjTzW8owU3a9AladeBPKka9DxR9JCV