impster
impster Reader
2/9/09 5:11 a.m.

Greetings all,

A bit off topic but...

I am arriving in Lorton, VA (south of Alexandria) on March 13 with my Triumph TR8 on a single axle trailer. The plan is to unload the car and put it on Amtrak's auto train and head to Florida for a quick vacation away from the cold weather of Maine. A little top down motoring in the Florida Keys. While the Triumph heads south on Amtrak, my tow vehicle (SUV) and trailer will be parked. Amtrak has an unsecured lot next to the station but I am reluctant to leave my rig there for one week. No parking lot attendant and I suspect the station closes each night after a certain hour. The implication to would be thieves is that my vehicle is going to be there for awhile. I would instead prefer to park somewhere more secure, even at the expense of paying a fee.

Does anyone who might be familiar with the area have parking suggestions? Having a single axle trailer in tow might make it difficult to find a gated parking lot as most / all places have automated ticket dispensers for one parking space and I will require two end to end. I don't want to park it in a big box store parking lot as I'm sure they would have it towed. But might there be someone on this list who has a business with enough space that would like to rent me a one week parking space? Anyone nearby with an oversized driveway at home that has room? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance, Tony Yarmouth, Maine

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
2/9/09 5:48 a.m.

My sister in law lives right in the area but has about zero space. Her house/condo costs way too much (in excess of $500k) and only has the two parking spaces in her garage. Guests park down the street.

I did a quick google maps search and you may want to check out

Public Storage 9915 Richmond Hwy Lorton, VA 22079 (800) 883-8369 www.publicstorage.com

two miles away from the train

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
2/9/09 6:29 a.m.

I feel for you. I had a similar situation years ago and ended up leaving my vehicle ( no trailer) in a busy big chain hotel parking lot on the advice of a friend. I had a happy ending and everything was fine but would not recommend doing that. I worried the whole time I was in Florida. So much for relaxation. Good luck.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/09 7:51 a.m.

Lorton is part of the Nova (Northern Virginia) urban sprawl zone. Parking is going to be a hassle. I'd follow Feedyurhed's advice and park in a hotel if you can. At least you know people will be coming and going from the location at all hours and days. I don't think you have an airport near there or I'd recommend long term parking. Drive the Tri down?

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
2/9/09 8:32 a.m.

There are a fair number of industrial areas down around Lorton near the Amtrak stop. You could find a garage or autobody shop explain the situation and give them a few bucks to park it in there area. It will still likely be unsecured but you could give them $20 now and $20 when you get back.

davidjs
davidjs New Reader
2/9/09 11:45 a.m.

I think JRW may have the best idea, find some local storage places, and rent a spot for a month.

Below are two "used" auto parts places with secure fencing that are only a few miles from the train station, you might be able to work out a deal with them (I would put large "DO NOT PART OUT" stickers on your windows)...

Aaaaco Auto Parts Inc‎ - more info » 10212 Richmond Hwy, Lorton, VA‎ - (703) 550-9440‎ Write a review B Davis Industries Inc‎ - more info » 9920 Richmond Hwy, Lorton, VA‎ - (703) 550-7402‎ Write a review

Carson
Carson HalfDork
2/9/09 12:59 p.m.

You could park it illegally and get it impounded, then you'd be in a secure lot.

Seriously though, a lot of storage places have "first month free" offers with no contract commitment. When I moved, I put my stuff in their storage for a week, signed up for the first month free, and picked up my stuff later that week at no cost to me.

Maybe you could find a similar deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZU4IJT8T7ojzGRKqEKaTzrimbuv0AYFqntvs3UGr9xTWpcQFDg0RfDiLWqCafMhp