David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/16 4:01 p.m.

Welcome to Daytona Beach, our hometown. We might not have a decent local music scene, but our backyard does feature one of the world’s most famous race tracks: Daytona International Speedway. In fact, we’re probably a bit jaded by its presence, since we pass by often (it’s next to our local Home Depot, and across the street from Target). My …

Read the rest of the story

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
1/14/16 5:27 p.m.

Daytona is also home of the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University which is right next to the race track. At Embry-Riddle is one of the largest space telescopes in the United States. If anyone cares, my FIL is the vice-provost of physics and could arrange a private tour. Pretty cool to see in person.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/14/16 6:33 p.m.

Question: any mass transit from track to beach?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/14/16 6:35 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab:

Details? We will arrive Thursday and have some time to kill.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/16 6:45 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Question: any mass transit from track to beach?

I took a ride a few years back.
http://www.votran.org/

I am regretting my decision to not go this year. It's by far my favorite race weekend as a spectator.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/14/16 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

GRM offers the best experience in motorsports , if speed is your god, Daytona is your shrine. Back to steam power at Ormond.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/14/16 7:17 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote: Daytona is also home of the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University which is right next to the race track. At Embry-Riddle is one of the largest space telescopes in the United States. If anyone cares, my FIL is the vice-provost of physics and could arrange a private tour. Pretty cool to see in person.

My niece went to Embry-Riddle. I went down with my sister to help her get settled. But, I accidentally went on a tour of the speedway while I was supposed to be helping her move stuff. It was worth it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/14/16 7:18 p.m.

I'll be there, my third year in a row..........and looking forward to it. Getting out of the lousy Michigan winter is a big plus too. Don't forget to mention the Hibachi Grill which is sort of across the street from the track and down just a bit. You can hear the cars from the restaurant. All you can eat Asian buffet style for $10.00. Nothing fancy but we hit that once or twice while in town. Don't forget to bring a powerful hunger with you on that visit. See you soon!!!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/16 7:41 p.m.

Yeah, you're looking at Votran, a taxi or Uber.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/14/16 8:02 p.m.

Oober active, viable?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/20/16 11:41 a.m.

What?

DPEXP
DPEXP New Reader
1/20/16 12:20 p.m.

Mikes galley in Daytona beach shores, best breakfast ever.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/20/16 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Would Uber be better than the taxi services? Never used them?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/20/16 12:46 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:
I took a ride a few years back. http://www.votran.org/ I am regretting my decision to not go this year. It's by far my favorite race weekend as a spectator.

so we're both missing out this yr ... hope we'll see each other next yr

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/20/16 12:49 p.m.
DPEXP wrote: Mikes galley in Daytona beach shores, best breakfast ever.

on US 1 ... a few blocks south of International Speedway Blvd ...there's a little hole in the wall type of breakfast lunch diner .. called the Ultimate Omelet ... awfully hard to beat them

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/20/16 12:51 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: In reply to Tom Suddard: Would Uber be better than the taxi services? Never used them?

Yeah, I certainly prefer it to taxis.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/20/16 1:36 p.m.

You forgot the Gene's STEAK place... and you do have a good music scene but its a traveling show called Bike Week. :) Like Ron Jones who used to play at the California patio by the beach entrance was great music to sit and watch the chuckle heads dump the old lady off the back getting on and off the sand...but its gone now or changed hand. think Ron play Hang Dog's solon on Ormond now.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
1/20/16 1:42 p.m.

If you're wanting to park early Friday and leave a vehicle all weekend, do you have any options?

Last year, we parked near Turn 4 outside the track Friday morning (free) and then had to move to the campground parking that night (outside west side of track?) where we were allowed to stay for the rest of the weekend ($20 I think).

Staying in a friends RV for the weekend so would love to just park and be done with it...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/20/16 2:38 p.m.

Other good places in the area:

*Breakfast--- Howards--- on US-1 in Holly Hill---Mom and Pop joint, nothing fancy, just good eats at cheap prices

For something a little classier, check out La's Bistro on Nova Rd., just South of Rt 40 (Granada) Great eats, in a nice, casual environment.

*Lunch--- Brickyard--- on International Speedway Blvd. (Rt 92) Best burgers in town---- bar none.

North of town on A1A in Ormond by the Sea is Crabby Chris's Crab Shack----- if you like Mahi tacos, or delicious BBQ--- go there....you won't be disappointed!

If you are staying South of Rt 92 (ISB) try the Shores Festhaus. It's a nice little surfer bar next to the Win Dixie grocery store in Daytona Beach Shores. They have fantastic sandwiches! Try the Cajun Dutchman........one of the best sandwiches in the world!

*Dinner--- Stonewood on A1A in Ormond Beach--- good quality steak, ribs, chicken, pork, etc.

*Drinks---- Robbie O"Connell's Irish Pub--- friendly local joint with great service. Very smoky inside though, so be warned

Ocean Deck--- live music nightly, good food, and it's one of the only places directly on the beach.

The Daytona area has it's quirks, so if anyone wants, I can also provide a list of places / areas to avoid--- but I'm not going to post here for liability reasons. Feel free to PM me.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/20/16 2:56 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: You forgot the Gene's STEAK place... and you do have a good music scene but its a traveling show called Bike Week. :) Like Ron Jones who used to play at the California patio by the beach entrance was great music to sit and watch the chuckle heads dump the old lady off the back getting on and off the sand...but its gone now or changed hand. think Ron play Hang Dog's solon on Ormond now.

add the Brickyard to the burger/steak joint ... best burgers I've ever had

edit: should have read all the posts before mentioning the Brickyard

The0retical
The0retical Dork
1/20/16 3:49 p.m.

I have my BS, MS, and A&P from ERAU. If you get a chance go look through the new A&P building as well. The program is top notch and I hear the new facilities are a lot nicer than what we had when I attended. Also see if you can weasel a "demo" in the simulators, that's usually fun.

I wish I was going to be able to make the Rolex this year. I'm traveling home that weekend and I'd stop off but I think the wife would get angry if I went to a race instead of home to her after four and a half months.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1cTaJq2Q4NuoHfGUZOUx5BBteLuZBUhJYPYOi0ouz2Jjov0ZHRzSCQghxx4xEACw