MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/16 10:18 p.m.

So I am considering selling my samurai and getting miata. Like a late NB or an NC. The samurai just isnt for me as I dont have anyone to go 4x4ing with as they have a family now and dont have time anymore. I realistically need a vehicle that can safely do highway speeds and is fun. The samurai is likely going to make money if i sell it since they are popular and I likely wont be out much on it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
10/20/16 10:39 p.m.

I say do it if you aren't going to use the samurai as intended.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/21/16 4:35 a.m.

Something between Samurai and Miata?
Is the answer x90?

einy
einy Reader
10/21/16 5:54 a.m.

Yea, but don't those usually come with a giant Red Bull can fixed to the "trunk" lid, John ??

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/21/16 6:49 a.m.

As you know, Samurais do one thing well. Really well in fact. I'd sell it to someone who'll use it as intended and buy something that you'll actually use.

(Coming from a guy who built 3 Samurais)

trucke
trucke Dork
10/21/16 8:03 a.m.

You have a family and are considering a Miata???

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/21/16 9:16 a.m.
trucke wrote: You have a family and are considering a Miata???

To quote Jake Blues, "OK, I can see that."

I would like to strongly recommend finding an NB2 (has the VVT engine) with 6-speed and torsen.

MrChaos
10/21/16 9:21 a.m.

In reply to trucke:

no im single and my friend i went 4x4ing with now has a family and he doesn't have the time anymore

mith612
mith612 Reader
10/21/16 10:48 a.m.

As the owner of both a Samurai and Miata (concurrently) I agree that the Miata is the more well rounded vehicle. A highway cruiser, though, the Miata is not. The gearing means the engine revs fast enough at highway speeds to drone obnoxiously. If I had a highway commute, I would definitely choose something else to drive. But for the occasional highway trip, its bearable.

trucke
trucke Dork
10/21/16 11:21 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to trucke: no im single and my friend i went 4x4ing with now has a family and he doesn't have the time anymore

Oh!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/16 11:36 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Something between Samurai and Miata? Is the answer x90?

Or...

But seriously, the Samurai is only good at one thing, no sense owning one if you don't go off-road with it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/16 11:48 a.m.
mith612 wrote: As the owner of both a Samurai and Miata (concurrently) I agree that the Miata is the more well rounded vehicle. A highway cruiser, though, the Miata is not. The gearing means the engine revs fast enough at highway speeds to drone obnoxiously. If I had a highway commute, I would definitely choose something else to drive. But for the occasional highway trip, its bearable.

As an owner of a Samurai and occasional driver of a Miata (NB), the Miata feels like a Rolls on the highway compared to a Samurai.

I imagine dive-bombing in a WW1 fighter plane feels something like driving a Samurai at highway speeds (or as close as it'll get to highway speeds, depending on your local speed limit).

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/21/16 11:54 a.m.

You're in the right area for either a Samurai or a Miata. Those mountain roads, not far from Uwharrie.

If you buy a Miata once the weather turns and convertible weather is over for most people, you'll probably save some cash. The NC is generally regarded as a better car for every day use. I don't know your budget, but getting one of the PRHT models improves the daily use of the car over the soft top. I am also willing to bet that a PRHT is more likely to be owned by somebody who didn't thrash on the car. Keith Tanner can help with the underwhelming suspension.

MrChaos
10/21/16 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Budget will likey be around what the samurai sells for.

Here is the ad i posted in the Open Classifieds for it

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/87-suzuki-samurai/123006/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fkFdhxipqXhn2aQQuEmyz1x2QD00WbLwky9wxDeRjh7WHaNN4D0Jn8qop0flHzrx