1 2
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/15/08 8:37 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: I know in the old days, cars were called "motors". Hey, how's Grassroots Enginesports sound?

How about 'Enginecycle'?

Clay
Clay Reader
8/15/08 8:46 a.m.

Yeah, the whole "most people call it X so it IS X" is not exactly a good argument. That's the point I was making about "boat motors" or "outboard motor." Most folks call it a motor, but that doesn't in and of itself mean that's the correct use of the word.

I used to get folks irritated all the time pointing out grammar mistakes when I lived out in Cali. Being a Southerner (with a noticable accent) this royally ticked them off. They would swear that it had to be right because that's the way everyone there said it. I told them grammar is like math, it's right or wrong, not majority rules.

Prior to this informative post I was of the opinion that motors are always electric and ICE were always (and only) engines. I've been edumacated...

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
8/15/08 11:57 a.m.
integraguy wrote: "So scale is the deciding factor...." Gee, I'm amazed anyone would come to that conclusion from what I posted. Until you find a refrigerator with a compressor powered by gasoline, or wood, or ? a refrigerator's compressor will always be a motor. Same with the mechanism for powering the windows and locks on your car. As a previous poster said, if it's powered by electrical current, it's pretty much a motor, by a combustible fuel...it's an engine. A Prius is powered by a gasoline engine and an electric MOTOR. I doubt anyone, even a Toyota engineer, will tell you the Prius has 2 engines. (Or is that 6 engines? 4 more for the electric windows.) And again, like always, the above is just my opinion...others are free to agree or disagree.

I got it from the whole "a motor is used to move SMALL parts on a car"

No need to get all uppity, just giving you a hard time!

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/15/08 12:56 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Now I'm gonna go drink a pop and pay my hydro bill while I sit on the chesterfield. jg

I always knew that there was some Ontario in you. Unless by hydro you mean your water bill...

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/15/08 1:00 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Until you find a refrigerator with a compressor powered by gasoline, or wood, or ? a refrigerator's compressor will always be a motor.

A Propane refrigerator is the closest that I can come up with. Alas, as far as I know, these contain neither motors, not engines...

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
8/15/08 1:29 p.m.

Let's do this the old fashioned way...

motor Pronunciation: \ˈmō-tər\ Function: noun Etymology: Latin, from movēre to move Date: 1586

1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a: a small compact engine b: internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

3: motor vehicle; especially : automobile

engine Pronunciation: \ˈen-jən\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English engineering, from Anglo-French, from Latin ingenium natural disposition, talent, from in- + gignere to beget — more at kin Date: 13th century

4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mLMkffRnxJVv1crTyRH9qs2dBmLlq44mKLDvkZYkOvECYB2sWwG8ncpHjrL2I8Yz