1 2
flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/15 11:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
flatlander937 wrote: I know Jag trans fluid is silly $$$.
The trans shop we use puts synthetic Dexron in everything. They warranty everything they work on. Thus, we also use synthetic Dexron in everything. It's not $$$. It's only, what, $5/quart retail? (That is not $$$. I was pricing out fluids for Certain German Cars and noted $30/qt just for the oil, trans fluid was quite a bit more than that) We even used it in VW DSG transmissions... the world failed to end Although long term use in that case is still unknown, as the longest we've seen one go was only 80k after we serviced it and she traded it in on an Acura, so it might cause a failure eventually after 200k or so.

Good to know, but if its something at work, I'm using what's recommended personally.

If I ever buy a Jag that's good info though

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/29/15 3:27 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Ayup. We actally use bulk trans fluid from I forget who, but from what we've learned, there is a lot of repackaging so that may be the same product.

About the only place we won't use it is old Fords that call for Type F. Type F is the opposite of modern trans fluids. Mdoern fluids are to the "more slippery" side of Dexron III, while Type F is to the "more grippy" side.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/29/15 1:38 p.m.

As I recall type F is basically red AW hydraulic fluid, no friction modifiers. I wouldn't doubt it if it's the same oil and add pack as one of the better "universal tractor fluids" (e.g. John Deere Hy-Gard). I know some people swear by the stuff in built up automatics, very similar to B&M Trick Shift but way cheaper.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
8/29/15 2:24 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6HOemxzwSW7PXvwxjLBviTapntliizQeO6qM8AEPQ2c4aHqqaGUBMPpI3UOxzsPf