oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/16/19 12:28 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
8/16/19 12:34 p.m.

I’m not shocked by this first gen Celica is definitely a popular and collectible cars especially if original and in great shape. Means the earlier celicas should be even more money.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 12:36 p.m.

Not too bad if you've seen how much those wheels usually go for cheeky

Seriously though, I don't doubt that somebody will pay that price...

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
8/16/19 1:19 p.m.

Isn't that a second generation Celica?  

There is always someone out there that will pay the money for something.  I didn't look too closely at the add, so other than the late 80's wheels, any other updates done to the car? 

Lotsa money for that.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/16/19 1:35 p.m.

The price curve does go up pretty sharply for extremely nice examples of most any car.  It may be priced high, but not if someone comes along and buys it.

I do wonder if there are any cracks in the dash pad under that cover...the vinyl in Japanese cars of that era wasn't very durable, especially in sunny parts of the country.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/16/19 1:43 p.m.

That's the nicest I've seen since they were new, but I'm going crack price.  It was a decent car when new, but nothing outstanding in any area except reliability.  Someone may pay it, but I really see that in a museum somewhere.  It is nice they are getting some recognition though.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/16/19 5:27 p.m.

Could have bought a clean SoCal one of those with a bad clutch for $500 in 2001.  Didnt.  Oops.  

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/19 5:32 p.m.

Not twice as nice as this for 19k, in my opinion, but yeah, I remember these beauties being $500

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/16/19 5:35 p.m.

51,000 miles on a 20R means it's just about broken in.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/19 5:49 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Not twice as nice as this for 19k, in my opinion, but yeah, I remember these beauties being $500

Early bumpers > late bumpers, every day all day. 

The wheels on the orange ones are way too big for that body style. Also I wanted one of these badly in the 90’s and would have loved to find one for $500, cheapest would be $3-5k. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/16/19 5:53 p.m.

It's got the wrong wheels.

Properly restored and everything correct, price is probably less than you would spend to have it done.

Proper paint and body by a shop that knows what they're doing will easily be $20k

I agree, the North American bumpers kill the look for me.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/16/19 7:04 p.m.

whilst that is a seriously good looking car the one below is the one I lusted after as a kid.

My fathers cousin had one of these in yellow.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
8/16/19 7:47 p.m.

Well that's an insane amount of money for an old remember-when penalty box. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/16/19 10:07 p.m.

Makes me really regret selling mine for 3500 lol. 

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
8/17/19 4:35 a.m.

surprise

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/17/19 6:31 a.m.

While a Celica Liftback is on my short list of favorite Japanese cars, I wouldn't pay $42K for that one.  Now $19K for the JDM bumper car? Definitely. 

I wonder if blaze86vic still has his earlier notchback track car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
spNuFjyDaLxrgccFSVpnG8O6ByPQF9IQDqOsY5efL35Tmzlwp8Vl4wykMUwBQkn0