1 2
2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
3/11/19 3:32 p.m.
pirate said: Somebody steal your morning coffee or pee in your Cerritos! LOL I did see the anthem and agree there were words missed or sang out of order. I’m pretty old and old school when it comes to The National Anthem. I think it should be sung straight forward without a lot of interpretation as some try to do. Some of the best renditions have been done by members of the armed services. I will say NASCAR is one of the last vestiges of patriotic America with the presenting of the colors, invocation and meaningful national anthem. Too many other sports and events treat it as an afterthought or necessary nuisance. I don’t think you will ever see a NASCAR driver or crew take a knee at a NASCAR event.

Wow! Had to bring in, "taking a knee" , didn't ya? SMH!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/19 4:42 p.m.
pirate said:
captdownshift said:

I don't have much care for poems written by racist attorneys and I find being a prisoner of war a fitting role for them. 

Somebody steal your morning coffee or pee in your Cerritos! LOL I did see the anthem and agree there were words missed or sang out of order. I’m pretty old and old school when it comes to The National Anthem. I think it should be sung straight forward without a lot of interpretation as some try to do. Some of the best renditions have been done by members of the armed services. I will say NASCAR is one of the last vestiges of patriotic America with the presenting of the colors, invocation and meaningful national anthem. Too many other sports and events treat it as an afterthought or necessary nuisance. I don’t think you will ever see a NASCAR driver or crew take a knee at a NASCAR event.

As a Veteran, I'd like to take this time to point out that all of NASCAR'S "patriotic services" are paid for by the US Department of Defense as part of a recruiting contract. Don't confuse capitalism and patriotism.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/11/19 4:47 p.m.
2GRX7 said:
pirate said: Somebody steal your morning coffee or pee in your Cerritos! LOL I did see the anthem and agree there were words missed or sang out of order. I’m pretty old and old school when it comes to The National Anthem. I think it should be sung straight forward without a lot of interpretation as some try to do. Some of the best renditions have been done by members of the armed services. I will say NASCAR is one of the last vestiges of patriotic America with the presenting of the colors, invocation and meaningful national anthem. Too many other sports and events treat it as an afterthought or necessary nuisance. I don’t think you will ever see a NASCAR driver or crew take a knee at a NASCAR event.

Yes I think it is relevant. I believe the National Anthem deserves respect. Too many people have served, suffered hardships and died for what the flag stands for. It is not my flag or your flag it the flag of a nation of all people who have offered more hope, opportunity and done more good for all people of the world then any other nation.  If people want to exercise their first amendment right to free speech I have no problem with that but do so in a meaningful way. What exactly has taking a knee accomplished other then being disrespectful?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/19 5:10 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

Dale Earnhardt never stood for the anthem.   Like Javelin said it’s currently paid for but prior to 9/11 when it was being played for free the drivers were strapped in their cars waiting for the final verse, “Gentlemen, start your engines!!”  Fans generally didn’t even remember to take their hats off until they had to be better than football players. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/11/19 5:53 p.m.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/11/19 11:02 p.m.
pirate said:
2GRX7 said:

Yes I think it is relevant. I believe the National Anthem deserves respect. Too many people have served, suffered hardships and died for what the flag stands for. It is not my flag or your flag it the flag of a nation of all people who have offered more hope, opportunity and done more good for all people of the world then any other nation.  If people want to exercise their first amendment right to free speech I have no problem with that but do so in a meaningful way. What exactly has taking a knee accomplished other then being disrespectful?

I'd say it's driven a meaningful discussion about racial inequality and minority discrimination by highlighting where we're failing to uphold all the things that everyone serving swore to protect. If you don't have a problem with people exercising non violent free speech, you shouldn't be putting qualifiers after it. Maybe instead of contradicting yourself, you could educate yourself about what you're complaining about, so you'd know that taking a knee was the way that people doing so landed on as a way to show respect for those serving and who served while also trying to draw attention to the fact that what they serve for isn't happening.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/11/19 11:41 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Right, because in 2018-2019 there’s no other way to get your point across than to effectively insult millions of Americans. If only there were such a thing as Social Media or at least sympathetic news outlets that’d bend over backwards to help promote your cause. 

The last thing I’ll say on this topic is that doing the polar opposite of what Americans have always done during the National Anthem (proudly standing) was one of the most effective ways to take the focus OFF the cause at hand and create even more division than there would’ve normally been. But pointing out that folly is likely to get me labeled a racist in this backwards time we’re living in.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/12/19 1:03 a.m.

I don't necessarily think it was effective or agree with it. But I believe it's within freedom of speech. Of course that doesn't protect the person from what everyone else has to say about it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/12/19 1:30 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Tac1
Tac1 New Reader
3/12/19 1:54 a.m.
GTXVette said:

I Don't Care If you can Sing But Maybe know the words to the Anthem AND Pledge of Aliegence. Not Caring About things like Really do Weaken A Country, Emotionaly Mentaly,And We are acting pretty Soft Right About Now,

It Is The Best Country.  Where Else Can Any Idiot  Just Decide To Run For Office And Win  and get Rich And Have So Much FUN!      

Why do we force our children to pledge allegiance to a flag every morning? Isn't that the same type of stuff that goes on within dictatorships? The North Korean population is indoctrinated heavily through such rituals, more so than us, but I would hardly call them a strong country.

As a proponent of small government it really bothers me how much it is involved in our every day life. I think freedom should trump all else in this great country.

Stop forcing your personal beliefs and values on everyone else.

Tac1
Tac1 New Reader
3/12/19 2:02 a.m.

On another note it sucks how much politics is just becoming apart of everything we do. Which is actually not healthy.

Can't even go to the race track without these hyper "patriots" giving each other Nazi salutes or bad mouthing previous Presidents. Not the place for it. Let it go, have some respect and let people live.

Tac1
Tac1 New Reader
3/12/19 2:18 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

But they did. For example NBA players wore "I can't breathe" shirts following Eric Garners death. There was outrage over that as well so there's really no way you can win unless you simply "shutup and dribble".

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/12/19 2:42 a.m.

One more thing even though I said that last time...

Outrage? Wanna see REAL outrage? Try publicly, yet peacefully protesting the gluttony of abortions in this country. Then you’ll face some real outrage but this time your physical health and safety will be in jeopardy.

Kneel for the National Anthem and sure, you’ll get some ridicule and derision from the “other side”. 

But dare to stand up for the rights of the unborn? You’re likely to get punched and kicked or worse but this time it won’t be a fabrication by someone seeking attention to further his career. Im looking at YOU Jussie Smollett!

I pray that Martin Luther King’s dream is a reality but in the meantime, I’m not shedding a tear for millionaires telling me how bad they have it. And if anyone comes to me with a real racist scenario with an actual racist and actual racism, I’m right there fighting by your side. Until then, I’ve had enough with the ridiculous cries about  “institutional racism” (With credits given to Ben Shapiro).

PS, maybe after others have a chance to add their two cents, this thread can be shut down. Though it’s been pretty civil considering this stuff has a tendency to make me pretty uncivil.

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
CsgxTS04JKgHkVa3EJPXu5RHaxB47zvp9TIwuKpEvxifs1QKCvjkJLNvXU5EbJzB