1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/9/10 8:42 p.m.

My 2000 expedition has about 145K on it and has the original shocks. I really have not noticed that the ride is bad. Tires are waring ok. I just replaced them and got 70K on them they were to the ware bars evenly. I am just thinking. The shocks are now 10 plus years old with 145K. Replace them on principal? If I do I will probably go get another from ford as the original have lasted really well.

On a side note: This truck is a bit odd. I got it used from ford. It was a ford fleet vehicle used by ford in Michigan to hall executives around in for the first 4 years of its life. I got it from a ford dealer that purchased it from ford in Michigan. I was told by the dealer that it was a bit of an odd duck as it had alot of heavy duty parts in it that were normally found on half ton trucks (250's). But it is all there in the build code from the factory. They told me that Expeditions should come with a basic F150 drive line. The truck sits about 3 inches higher than other "normal" Expeditions. I was told that the towing package was also installed by ford from the factory but that would not account for the half ton drive line. I have never seen another one like this.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/9/10 8:58 p.m.

I think you mean 3/4 ton.

An F-250 is 3/4 ton. But nothing will bolt over.

The 3/4 ton chassis is a completely different animal. Even the window glass is different. F-250 and F-350's use the heavy duty chassis. F-150's (half ton) use a different chassis.

I don't think there is such thing as a half ton Expedition. They don't come with an F-150 chassis or drive line. They are on the heavier chassis, like the F-250 and the F-350.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/9/10 9:02 p.m.

Shocks never last 145k, but if it ain't broke...
Yeah, I'd replace them. They may not make a big difference in "normal" driving, but when E36 M3 hits the fan you want your tires to stay on the ground.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/9/10 9:03 p.m.

No, wait a minute. I'm thinking of the Excursion.

But what I said about the parts swap over is still right. The Excursion is 3/4 ton based (F-250), the Expedition is 1/2 ton based (F-150). Completely different platform. Very few parts will swap.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/9/10 9:29 p.m.
SVreX wrote: No, wait a minute. I'm thinking of the Excursion. But what I said about the parts swap over is still right. The Excursion is 3/4 ton based (F-250), the Expedition is 1/2 ton based (F-150). Completely different platform. Very few parts will swap.

I think that is somewhat false. This is an F-250:

They made an F-250 "light" duty for two years I think. It sounds like you got some parts from there. From Wiki:

Wikipedia said: The regular F-250 (light duty) was basically an F-150 with the same body panels but with heavy duty axles and suspension, along with 7 lug wheels. Additionally, the F-250 Light Duty also offered a load leveling rear suspension system. The F-250 HD (Heavy Duty) was in the same series as the F-350. With the arrival of the all new 1999 "Super Duty" series in early 1998, the standard F-250 ('light duty'), F-250HD (Heavy Duty), & F-350 line was totally dropped and the F-250 (light duty), which was a temporary model from the start, became the "7700" package for the F-150 (noted on the tailgate emblem).
mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/9/10 9:34 p.m.

Huh, look what comes up with a google search:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/f150-7700/9203/page1/

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/9/10 9:44 p.m.

Wait a minute...

It's a 2000 model year. There was no "light" then.

The F-250 and the F-150 were different platforms from 1998 on, according to your Wiki post.

But the Wiki post is confusing me too. It says the 250HD and 350 lines were dropped altogether. They are still around...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/9/10 9:46 p.m.

My daily driver is a 1999 F-250. There is nothing similar about it and an F-150.

I know. I've tried.

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
12/9/10 9:52 p.m.

All bets are off if it was a mule of some sort. A guy I work with had a Mustang with a 302 with cams on each cylinder head. He also knew a guy with a FS Bronco that had a 7.3 diesel. Sometimes, these vehicles make it to the general public.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/9/10 9:57 p.m.

OK, so this is a 150 7700 4x4, right?

It's a 1/2 ton truck with the F-250 (3/4 ton) "light" components- extra leaf in the springs, front brakes, and 7 lug wheels.

So, the parts will essentially be 1/2 ton F-150 parts, except for the springs,wheels and front brakes.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/9/10 9:58 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Wait a minute... It's a 2000 model year. There was no "light" then. The F-250 and the F-150 were different platforms from 1998 on, according to your Wiki post. But the Wiki post is confusing me too. It says the 250HD and 350 lines were dropped altogether. They are still around...

It confused me too, but I did read that when the F250 light was dropped in 1998 or 1999, the option continued, called the F150 7700. I don't know how long that continued though, but either way I could't find anything to suggest that the Expedition ever came that way so it was probably a factory-special with those particular parts. OP, does yours have 7 lug wheels? That would be a definitive way of knowing, although it not having them wouldn't disprove my idea.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/10/10 5:46 a.m.

Ford has always been willing to build individual vehicles "off spec" as it were. I've known a fair number of them. From Vans to Mustangs to Crown Vics. Makes getting certain parts for those vehicles real interesting, in a most unpleasant manner.

Personally, I would pass because of this. It's not fun to be arguing with a parts guy, including the dealership, about why the brake pads they insist fit this Explorer do not actually fit. Especially when they can't figure out what the pads you are holding from the Explorer actually are. Or the calipers, or the rotors, or the ball joints, or, or, or. It's just not fun.

I also don't like fleet vehicles. They get abused and neglected.

dean1484
12/10/10 6:36 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I also don't like fleet vehicles. They get abused and neglected.

I took a gamble on this one. It came with all the service records since new from ford. They included oil every 3k not at 5k. Mmmmmm?

It has been a great vehicle only normal maintenance to date. I had the 100K tune up at the dealer. I will probably have the 150K service done at the dealer. I do the 10 K required service. Btw it is badged as an XLT.

The dealer I got it implied that the ford exec's can order vehicles the way they want them and that is why my expedition is the way it is. As for parts the VIN has been spot on every time.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/10/10 8:51 a.m.

Great. I am glad it's worked well for you.

Gotta quit typing when I'm this sick. I swear, I thought you were asking about getting this vehicle, not about the shocks. I think maybe I'm sicker than I realize.

dean1484
12/10/10 9:32 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Great. I am glad it's worked well for you. Gotta quit typing when I'm this sick. I swear, I thought you were asking about getting this vehicle, not about the shocks. I think maybe I'm sicker than I realize.

LOL No problem hope you get better!!!

jhaas
jhaas Reader
12/10/10 9:37 a.m.

that oddball year F250 had 7 lug wheels, WTF?

iceracer
iceracer Dork
12/10/10 9:39 a.m.

Does it bounce when going over a speed bump ?

dean1484
12/10/10 9:50 a.m.
ice racer wrote: Does it bounce when going over a speed bump ?

No not really. It passes the "up down test". It will just go "up and down" once when I hit speed bumps and I don't get that scating feeling on washboard. However this truck as the traction control / stability control on it. So it masks all sorts of things. The sensor in the rear diff died and the truck several years back and it was a handful. Off ramps were scary. It felt really top heavy, washboard roads the back would skate around. Replace the sensor and the truck was transformed.

It is funny that instead of making a good handling vehicle Ford makes a truly scary handling vehicle then makes it with electronic stability and traction control.

turbo2256
turbo2256 New Reader
12/10/10 10:17 a.m.

There is or was a light duty 250 a 150 on steroids and the comerical 250 and up series. This migtht explan something. As far as shocks go my F350 purchased new in 96 shocks were toast in about 15000 miles. Replaced them with Rancho adjustable ones about 15000 miles later wish I had done it way sooner.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/10/10 10:30 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Ford has always been willing to build individual vehicles "off spec" as it were. I've known a fair number of them. From Vans to Mustangs to Crown Vics. Makes getting certain parts for those vehicles real interesting, in a most unpleasant manner. Personally, I would pass because of this. It's not fun to be arguing with a parts guy, including the dealership, about why the brake pads they insist fit this Explorer do not actually fit. Especially when they can't figure out what the pads you are holding from the Explorer actually are. Or the calipers, or the rotors, or the ball joints, or, or, or. It's just not fun. I also don't like fleet vehicles. They get abused and neglected.

Fox Anybody that has had Spitfires knows each one is a grab bag of "whats in it now". Where's your sense of adventure?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
12/10/10 10:32 a.m.

Well since it has been decided he needs new shocks, what is the recommendation for replacements.

I am in a similar boat with my 4runner. 124k miles and original shocks. They seem just fine.

dean1484
12/10/10 10:51 a.m.

Since the stock ones seem to ahve lasted so well I will shop them out. I am betting that I can get either Koni or Bilsteens for what the dealer would want for the OME. The Koni has been my go to shock for years. Yes it costs more but it really is a case where you get what you pay for. The current set in the rear of my 924s has lasted 17 years and is still working fine. The frount struts died last year but I killed them by not running bump stops on them. I posted an intresting writeup on this over a CC a while back as I had a very intresting discussion with Koni about this. In a nut shell if you are running a lowered car you move the working area of the schok lower (or higher) in in the tube thus you run the risk of bottoming out the piston in the housing. This will in no uncertian terms kill a Koni. They sell a bump stop kit seperate from there struts that will protect the struts from bottoming . It is a conical shaped piece of foam that goes over the shaft costs about $20 a set.

My post from over at CC a couple years back

Me from CC said: A follow up to this: I ended up ordering these from LTB Motorsports. I spoke to Lewis. He is a great guy!! Knows racing. Understands the needs of a driver/crew-chief. Not just a parts number jockey. In addition to this I spoke directly with Koni (Lee in the motorsports division) who also knows Lewis from LTB (car racing can be a very small world some times). The reason for speaking to Koni was to see if it would be worth getting my struts rebuilt. Bottom line is it would cost the same as new ones and unless I needed a special valving for my car (I don't) I was better off getting new ones and the warranty that comes with them. Re-valved units have no warranty I was told. Now the tech On Konis that I got from all this. It turns out that it is critical that bump stops be used with these units especially if the car has been lowered (as mine has). When you lower the car you move the "working area" of the strut lower into the tube moving the static position of the piston closer to the bottom of the strut. In my case about 1 1/2" inches. This reduces the effective compression travel that the strut has before it bottoms. Koni Sport struts (and I assume shocks) are made so that if you bottom out the piston with any kind of force you will destroy the valving on the bottom of the piston. This is due to it crashing in to the bottom of the tube. If this happens it is game over for your strut. The bump stops prevent this from happening. They will stop the strut from compression all the way. Additionally I was told that it is very important to install with the bump stops the plastic "C" spacer between the strut housing and the bump stop. This gives a place for dirt that is wiped off the rod a place to go and keep it from getting compressed into the top seal of the strut. Anyway. I just wanted to follow up with this information as I felt that it may be helpful to others and again I would like to restate that I was extremely impressed with both Lewis at LTB and Lee at Koni. !!!!
Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/10/10 11:20 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Wait a minute... It's a 2000 model year. There was no "light" then. The F-250 and the F-150 were different platforms from 1998 on, according to your Wiki post. But the Wiki post is confusing me too. It says the 250HD and 350 lines were dropped altogether. They are still around...

In 98.5 , Ford dropped the F250/350 nameplate for the SuperDuty designation. The confusing thing is they are still marketed as 250 and 350's and the pre-98.5's, aka old body style or OBS, had a SuperDuty model which was the "F450".

Confusing huh?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/10/10 1:01 p.m.

Then why does my 1999 have badging on it that says "F-250 SuperDuty"?

Every Ford truck I've ever seen, new or old, has an "F" series tag on it.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/10/10 2:16 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Yes. This is why the f-series is the best selling vehicle in the us, the line includes everything from 1/2 ton on up in ford trucks.

Sounds like the op has an expedition (f150 short bed reg cab chassis) with the drivetrain and suspension from an f150 7700 gvw model. The final tell all would be if it has 7-lugs and it might have 17.5" wheels too. I have heard of some other non-exec custom ordered expeditions coming that way before.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GDm8XJ4cliBhuynpC8bs569qJjFUL5Ks1eeux1I4dA41KsKz6zpqdy86VQiizkuh