petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/10 11:05 a.m.

I'd like to upgrade struts/shocks on the Accent to something more Rally-x suitable. Bilstein HD would be my first choice. Of course, the only aftermarket choices for my car are plane-jane KYB, or crappy & expensive D2 RS coilovers.

Looking under the car, everything is suspiciously similar to A2 VW, so I'd like to get some measurements & compare. I'm familiar with the Monroe shock master list, but haven't looked to see if it lists anything that would fit the rear, so I could cross it to something else. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar list for McPherson-strut cars though?

If not, any A2 VW guys care to take some measurements for me?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
12/20/10 5:48 p.m.

A2 VW struts/shocks are very tall, so not so great for most cars. The only one I have easy access to is fully assembled, but I could probably ask my friend ot take measurements if no one else car do it.

petegossett
12/20/10 8:22 p.m.

That would be awesome!

I haven't had a chance to measure either end of the Accent yet, but the backs are very tall.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
12/20/10 8:50 p.m.

Is it possible to do the universal Koni strut inserts?

petegossett
12/21/10 8:38 a.m.

I'd have to modify the top of the strut housing, but that's basically what I'm hoping for with the Bilsteins - if the stroke is close enough.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
12/21/10 9:42 a.m.

I've got some Bilsteins for an A2 in the garage . Which dimensions are you interested in ? I'll measure them up for you.

petegossett
12/21/10 11:28 a.m.

If you could measure the total-length fully extended & compressed(both front & rear, if you have them), distance between the lower mounting bolts, and also the spacing between the tabs for the lower mounting bolts, that would be great!!! The measurements don't have to be super accurate, I'm just trying to get a general idea if it will work at all.

The Accent front swaybar attaches to the front strut housing, so if the general dimensions are close, I need to figure out if it would be easier to get an old pair of VW housings & weld on a swaybar tab; or if I'd be better off gutting a pair of Accent front struts, then trying to adapt the threaded cap for the VW strut insert onto the Hyundai housing.

By the way, this car is friggin' awesome in the ice & snow! Oh, and I picked up a 30"x30"x1/4" sheet of aluminum for the skid plate yesterday for $10.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
12/21/10 1:03 p.m.

Pete, My front struts are the ones that have the upright brackets welded right to the shock body, not the type with the removeable caps and an insert, but the basic dimensions should be the same.

-mounting bolts are 2.4375 center-to-center

-spacing between the tabs is 1.0625

-front shock overall length is 22.75 extended and 17.75 fully compressed

-rear shock overall length is 28.375 extended and 20 fully compressed

I measured with a carpenter's tape and put the results in decimal form. I couldn't measure any more accurately while my son did the compressing. Let us know if this will fit. I've been wondering about an Accent or Rio to build a DD/rallycrosser myself. Warren

petegossett
12/21/10 5:33 p.m.

Thanks Warren! I'll be sure to update you with whatever I find out.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy HalfDork
12/21/10 5:51 p.m.

If you can find a print (Might be online too, but books are better for this kind of stuff) Monroe catalogue, they have all the dimensions for shocks and struts in the back. I usually find the dimensions and mounting type for the car I'm working on, then backtrack from there to find similar size, then convert to Koni or Bilstein or whatever. Sometimes you can get lucky, and have a light car use the same rough dimensions as a much heavier vehicle. Monroes make good race shocks when they are on a Hyundai but designed for a 2500 series truck..

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
12/21/10 7:13 p.m.

I went into the Monroe catalogue and looked up a1998 Accent to see. It shows McPherson struts on the rear,too. Is that what they've got, or do they have a tube shock similar to the VW?

petegossett
12/22/10 4:34 a.m.

My '07 Accent has a standard shock on the rear, with a separate spring. So even if the VW ones don't fit I'd imagine there's something that will work.

petegossett
12/22/10 7:24 a.m.

Well, Monroe shows an application for the '07 Accent - 72297 & 72298 front, and 5621 for the rear. Unfortunately, none of them are listed in the PDF catalog with the dimensions.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZvkK88OR9TkEADSify5gJH3sudSMpKIVI0lR0jLrB3DEz1Cmwk7mfdkKKfAINRda