1 2
Dootz
Dootz Reader
5/23/19 4:13 a.m.

Debate time - I think that it'd be fun to see Chevy throw their hardcore suspension tech and a bigger-displacement 4 for fun and see how badly the Ecoboost Stang would fare against it

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/23/19 5:15 a.m.

Can't you get the 1LE package on the 4cyl Camaro already? Isn't that basically the same thing with a bit less displacement? And doesn't it have basically the same performance as the 335hp V6 1LE Camaro? You don't get the fancy carbon brakes or the spool valve shocks that the last Z28 had, but they'll still compete very well against an Ecoboost Mustang with the performance pack.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/23/19 5:28 a.m.

The L3B was designed exclusively for truck use, so I'm not sure it would fit in the Camaro and even if it did, it's powerband would likely not be particularly sporty. It's more optimized for low end power. They'd be better of turning the wick up on the LTG instead. but, yeah, a 2.0T 1LE already exists.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/23/19 5:42 a.m.

More like they need to make a new z24.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 5:46 a.m.
STM317 said:

Can't you get the 1LE package on the 4cyl Camaro already? Isn't that basically the same thing with a bit less displacement? And doesn't it have basically the same performance as the 335hp V6 1LE Camaro? You don't get the fancy carbon brakes or the spool valve shocks that the last Z28 had, but they'll still compete very well against an Ecoboost Mustang with the performance pack.

The Camaro looks nicer than the half-melted Mustang, too.  But I'd be worried about the dealership constantly passing the buck if it developed some problem like running so rich all the time that it misfired and fouled plugs often.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 7:31 a.m.
Knurled. said:
STM317 said:

The Camaro looks nicer than the half-melted Mustang, too.  But I'd be worried about the dealership constantly passing the buck if it developed some problem like running so rich all the time that it misfired and fouled plugs often.

What you did there, I see it!

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
5/23/19 9:51 a.m.

They could do it, but it'd still be a GM and impossible to see out of.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/23/19 11:02 a.m.

I was at the dragstrip a few weeks ago, and watched a 2016 2.0t go 12.8 in the qtr.  That’s 1.1 secs. quicker than stock.  He told me all he had done was a downpipe and an E85 tune.

There was a GT-R running 8.50’s there too.  And when he went home, simply turned on the a/c and turned onto the highway.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 11:15 a.m.
racerfink said:

I was at the dragstrip a few weeks ago, and watched a 2016 2.0t go 12.8 in the qtr.  That’s 1.1 secs. quicker than stock.  He told me all he had done was a downpipe and an E85 tune.

There was a GT-R running 8.50’s there too.  And when he went home, simply turned on the a/c and turned onto the highway.

Downpipe and E85 tune was probably worth 80whp and tq though. Turbo engines LOVE E85. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
5/23/19 11:54 a.m.
Knurled. said:

To clarify, it's a corporate GM problem, the dealerships (while bad) are simply acting on the direction provided. In case you're wondering, after months of accumulated time in service over the course of half a year, the problem is still going on. It currently needs an 8th set of plugs. They will not address the underlying conditions resulting in this problem. Their warranty covers severe events with CEL on, or after multiple CEL events, they will acknowledge issues just below this threshold, but no underlying issues resulting in anything other than immediate severe issues. GM corporate/GM dealership employees have flat out lied about their misfire experience with the car. From their perspective I believe they consider themselves to be adhering to truthiness, because their definition is not abnormal amounts of misfires, their definition is catastrophic misfire occurrence. GM corporate is actively participating in the game. There is no end in sight and as far as I can tell, there is no threshold where they would consider themselves to have acted unfairly. I know this sounds extreme. It's all true. It's beyond hideous.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/23/19 8:34 p.m.

but no underlying issues resulting in anything other than immediate severe issues.

Well they have to find some way to exclude all their turbo cars that crack pistons. Not immediately, you know, just... soon.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 8:38 p.m.
Vigo said:

but no underlying issues resulting in anything other than immediate severe issues.

Well they have to find some way to exclude all their turbo cars that crack pistons. Not immediately, you know, just... soon.

I'm not saying that I've read a few iATN posts asking about piston replacement in-chassis on 2.0t ATSs that were not warrantied, because that would be a violation of iATN's TOS.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/23/19 8:44 p.m.

I would rather they offer some sort of 4.20L engine in the new Blazer. That would be funny.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/23/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

How is this car STILL not burned with fire? 

And no, a Camaro with a 4-banger and really expensive suspension/brakes is not going to sell. Maybe 20 or so a year to autocross fans.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
5/24/19 1:30 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Well, they did have a 4.2L inline-6 before in the Trailblazer platform....

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/19 6:31 a.m.

Bring back the kappa platform! 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/24/19 6:37 a.m.
Dootz said:

In reply to T.J. :

Well, they did have a 4.2L inline-6 before in the Trailblazer platform....

Wasn't that based on the Jag i6?

cheeky

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/19 6:37 a.m.

From the thread title I was thinking that GM was going to make a Camaro with a hatch so we would have a RWD caviler. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/24/19 7:02 a.m.

3rd and 4th generation Crammits had rear hatches. 

dean1484
5/24/19 8:18 a.m.

So all they need to do is put a squared off nose on it and tone down the rear body work and we could have a rwd cavalier. 

That would actually be cool. The return of the z24

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/19 8:21 a.m.

If they did a rwd turbo I4 hatch with a usable hatch opening, ala S52 M Coupe, with magnetic suspension and magic differential sauce, I'd be hard pressed not to be very very tempted. That being said, there's a less than zero percent chance of such a thing occuring. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/24/19 8:23 a.m.
captdownshift said:

If they did a rwd turbo I4 hatch with a usable hatch opening, ala S52 M Coupe, with magnetic suspension and magic differential sauce, I'd be hard pressed not to be very very tempted. That being said, there's a less than zero percent chance of such a thing occuring. 

The Chevy 130R concept was kind of along those lines, but didn't make production, although supposedly GM gave it a long hard look

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/24/19 8:44 a.m.
captdownshift said:

Why would you want an S52 M Couple when there was an S54 M Coupe? smiley

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
5/24/19 9:04 a.m.

Hot turbo truck engine?  Sounds like time for a Mitsubishi Starion reboot.  Hatch and all.  GM would give the thing a foot long trunk lid and a C-pillar about a mile wide.  

dean1484
5/24/19 1:02 p.m.
NickD said:
captdownshift said:

The Chevy 130R concept was kind of along those lines, but didn't make production, although supposedly GM gave it a long hard look

Ohh I really like that!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4CMT1qPqkGs52NbyLQ1PIugDE3CMVZbFEFbSBdqkVK2xud5fCMvLjPaUiHg76nMG