1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/26/14 2:22 a.m.

Oh yeah ... it's got box flares. It's rough ... like pretty damn rough.

The interior is spectacularly bad even. The wiring looks like a rat nest, the fuel pump and cooling fan are on a switch. It has only lap belts with prelude seats, etc.

All that said. I want it, I want it bad. Talk me up or down. He's asking too much for it, but I might be able to wiggle it about.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/14 4:02 a.m.

Rust?

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
6/26/14 4:37 a.m.

three things matter in a car like that. you know from the start that you will have to 're-do' most everything that was hacked up. but to make it worth fixing, and not replicating, three things must be true.

1-can you get it to where you want it to be for CHEAPER than buying a decent 510 and 240sx doner and starting from scratch?

2-are the main components of the car good enough to warrant the laundry list of repairs? (engine, trans, frame, body, glass?) all these things make the wiring and interior easy, cause your 'finishing' a project. but, if these things need attention too, you're really just 'starting' a project, and your starting two months behind.

3- how bad do you want it?

-J0N

solfly
solfly Reader
6/26/14 7:43 a.m.

dont buy it, give me the contact info though

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/26/14 8:14 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: 1-can you get it to where you want it to be for CHEAPER than buying a decent 510 and 240sx doner and starting from scratch?

It's not JUST a matter of money, but the cost + your time to get to a similar point. So you find a 510 + 240 combo for $2000, and this is $4000- are you willing to pay the extra $2000 to get to that point?

Some may not care about the work and the effort to get rid of the left overs, others do care, and would rather start with most of that done. That's kind of up to you.

As for the wiring, search the many threads about doing your own harness or getting a painless one. Sounds like it's worth the effort to rewire the entire thing.

I almost got a Alfa Berlina with a TS motor in it. Instead talked some friends into getting it. It was rough, too- but they love it. So if it's worht it to you, of course, get it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/14 8:30 a.m.

Should you buy that? That's like asking us if you should continue to inhale and exhale.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/26/14 8:40 a.m.

I did a KA24/Dime swap a few years back, man was that thing quick. So don't look for me to talk you out of it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/26/14 8:54 a.m.

Uh.... yeah. As long as it's not a total rust heap, buy that E36 M3.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
6/26/14 9:08 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Uh.... yeah. As long as it's not a total rust heap, buy that E36 M3.

This. If there's no rust and the engine is healthy, just clean up the wiring and paint. Because box flares!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
6/26/14 10:45 a.m.

Is it pre, or post 1970?

70 and earlier cars have a unique wiper system that use unobtainium unicorn horn, and so is none existent or very EXPENSIVE

I was very close to buying something similar... 510/KA24DE swapped. The wiper issue and the price($4500) stopped me

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/26/14 11:15 a.m.

Can you not swap in wipers from something else? Mounting a wiper motor/transmission assembly seems way less daunting than an engine swap.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/26/14 11:17 a.m.

I'm with jmthunderbirdturbo with this one, unless you live in an area that no one is enough of a hot rodder to re-do THAT car and you want to rescue it

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
6/26/14 11:38 a.m.

Do want.
Also, +1 on retrofitting easily found wiper equipment

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/26/14 11:39 a.m.

Ahh logic says stay away, but the X-factor says: "GET ON DAT E36 M3"

That and the fact that it pulls harder than my MS3.

Thanks for all the viewpoints gents, I'm still thinking on it.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
6/26/14 11:49 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I did a KA24/Dime swap a few years back, man was that thing quick. So don't look for me to talk you out of it.

Geez- looking at an actual picture reminds me of a question I posted in a different forum a couple of weeks ago...

So we remember the Datsun 1600 and 2000- same car, just a different engine. And that the 2000 was a pretty darned good engine, much more power than the 1600. Not super aweome Lotus motor, but darned good.

But when the 510 was made, it got a version of the pushrod 1600. Why not the 2000?

Especially when a derivative of that motor (OHC, U flow head- same exact concept) ended up in the 240.

A back in the day 2000 powered 510 would have matched up really well against a GTV and BMW 2002 stock.

hmmmm

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
6/26/14 1:14 p.m.

Ive wanted this combo for several years now.

Please do a re-build thread......

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/26/14 1:22 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Can you not swap in wipers from something else? Mounting a wiper motor/transmission assembly seems way less daunting than an engine swap.

Or leave the non-functional originals as is and keep it RainX'd up.

Seems unlikely you would be driving it in the rain much anyway.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/26/14 1:44 p.m.

The alternative, a road legal spec miata with nothing but 0 mile components on it, was just too clean to pass on. It was less than the cost of the datsun, though the engine is much less lively.

I wanted a reliable track car, so it was essentially impossible to pass on.... Sad panda.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/26/14 1:48 p.m.

The winner.... The a/c even works still.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
6/26/14 1:50 p.m.

One more

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
6/26/14 2:28 p.m.

Good choice... In my fantasy world I would have the 510 as a daily too.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
6/26/14 2:51 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: I did a KA24/Dime swap a few years back, man was that thing quick. So don't look for me to talk you out of it.
Geez- looking at an actual picture reminds me of a question I posted in a different forum a couple of weeks ago... So we remember the Datsun 1600 and 2000- same car, just a different engine. And that the 2000 was a pretty darned good engine, much more power than the 1600. Not super aweome Lotus motor, but darned good. But when the 510 was made, it got a version of the pushrod 1600. Why not the 2000? Especially when a derivative of that motor (OHC, U flow head- same exact concept) ended up in the 240. A back in the day 2000 powered 510 would have matched up really well against a GTV and BMW 2002 stock. hmmmm

Fairly certain that all the US versions of the 510 had the L-series motors (all OHC), not sure the remainder of the globe. Even did a head gasket on a buddy's 510. Same same as my L24 but with two less cylinders.

Unfortunately, he wasn't a car guy, and traded it in on a then new Fiesta (I think - 88ish or 89, something in that time frame).

The 2.0 L motors were supposed to be good for 150hp with some cam & carb work, as I recall.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/26/14 4:04 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

RainX, lots of it.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
6/27/14 11:07 a.m.

Just curious... what does a KA-swapped 510 go for in Cali?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/14 12:29 p.m.

A fair amount of money - 510s are pretty expensive out here, no matter what the engine. The non-Flintstoned ones then to come in somewhere between $7.5k-$10k, although you can sometimes find them in need of a little work for less.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MLjdUMiIv3J6KFKmNLgZdreAUi5wloK05X72Lm5jmEkkHuFEEMG1TOilFMkunt63