SlickDizzy SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:04 p.m.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/2877660533.html

I e-mailed. Couldn't resist. I'm not terribly familiar with the breed, but $750 is not a lot, and it's pretty easy to identify serious rust on older trucks like these...any advice from y'all? I feel like for that price it'd be worth a gamble.

Woody SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:13 p.m.

Yes.

Yes you should.

RossD SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Or the $600 CJ-5 in Wisconsin Rapids http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/2875869265.html

Jeep parts are easier to find, but other than that; get it!

snap_understeer New Reader
March 1, 2012 12:19 p.m.

All i can think of is you stranded in the middle of nowhere, trying to get parts.

Gearheadotaku SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:22 p.m.

Once running properly, I hear they're bulletproof.

BoxheadTim SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:31 p.m.

You're asking on here if you shouldn't buy some cheap vehicle? Really ?

SlickDizzy SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:32 p.m.
seller said: clear title never been off road rig all org at 700 im losing money paid 900 3 weeks ago 139000 miles ive had 30 e mails on it the snow is making people scared the man that had it drove it and it lost spark he parked it got new coil and points and cond clutch slave cyl froze up he got new one i have not on toy yet i woult say can get running in a day no problems cold in garage getting rid of for 68 cougar if wanted for 2 years going to get wife only wants 1 here

I am so disappointed my tax return check isn't here yet.

AngryCorvair SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:36 p.m.

i'd like to put that into google translate but it's not recognizing the original language. also concerned with the bullE36 M3 factor of "i bought it three weeks ago" and "boo hoo it's too cold in my garage to work on it even though it could be running in a day"

wasn't it cold three weeks ago?

i'd either part it out or avoid it completely.

ebonyandivory New Reader
March 1, 2012 12:43 p.m.

I drove a '79 for years. 100% stock. Enormously strong axles and ring and pinion. Gears: 4:11. Tons of low end grunt from the straight six. Wicked cool back seats. Crazy strong vehicle. I'd keep the six but Advance Adapters has been helping small block Chevy's find thier way into TLC's for many years.

If there's a potential downside it'd be the Birfield joints in the front axle. Under power with wheels fully turned they can "explode". Mine never did... Never seen one fail either.

I think the hardtop and doors weigh just under 17,000 lbs

SlickDizzy SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:43 p.m.
seller said: wife only wants 1 here

That's all the answer I need. Also, they have some 3' of snow on the ground up there currently, so his claim is valid...

Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
March 1, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Watch for rust rust and more rust. The tailgate area on those tend to rust horribly. Also, expect around 10-13mpg

Great machines when they are right, but parts are hard to find and expensive when you find them. Check it out thoroughly, try not to fall in love, and make a logical decision.

An FJ40 can be a real money pit if you get the wrong one.

Check this for more info, and decent ones for sale: http://www.vintageoffroad.com/sale_start.cfm

oldtin SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:58 p.m.

Glass bodies available - tough drivetrain - along the lines of vehicles that can be fixed with a hammer and a couple of screwdrivers - but if it fails, easy enough to swap in other stuff. My room mate in school had a chevy powered one. It was a cool ride to bash around in.

EvanB SuperDork
March 1, 2012 4:23 p.m.

Yes

aussiesmg SuperDork
March 1, 2012 4:38 p.m.

I would, but then again I always do

irish44j SuperDork
March 2, 2012 10:34 a.m.

I haven't read any part of this thread except the title, but my answer is "yes."

Having helped my neighbor take off and put on his hardtop several times, I suggest you start pumping iron though. Or rig up a nifty pulley system in your garage ceiling. That thing is heavier than a mofo....and has to be lifted head-high to clear the posts.

Jay SuperDork
March 2, 2012 10:56 a.m.

DEAR GOD YES. HOLY BALLS GO GET IT RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, have you priced those out lately? $10k+ for a driver isn't unusual & restored peachy ones fetch well into the high twenties.

Twin_Cam SuperDork
March 2, 2012 11:19 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I think the hardtop and doors weigh just under 17,000 lbs

I LOL'd.

March 2, 2012 11:32 a.m.

I believe this thread is mis-titled. Should read; I bought this FJ40.

so did you?

Woody SuperDork
March 2, 2012 11:37 a.m.

If you restore the front winch, that alone may be worth the asking price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

5 hours ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

10 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

11 hours ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

1 day ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

1 day ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

1 day ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

1 day ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

3 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
3qnS9EqP4hs2Cvy2DHsduvN41jfKF0ny