SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:04 p.m.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/2877660533.html

I e-mailed. Couldn't resist. I'm not terribly familiar with the breed, but $750 is not a lot, and it's pretty easy to identify serious rust on older trucks like these...any advice from y'all? I feel like for that price it'd be worth a gamble.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:13 p.m.

Yes.

Yes you should.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/1/12 12:16 p.m.

Or the $600 CJ-5 in Wisconsin Rapids http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/2875869265.html

Jeep parts are easier to find, but other than that; get it!

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/1/12 12:19 p.m.

All i can think of is you stranded in the middle of nowhere, trying to get parts.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:22 p.m.

Once running properly, I hear they're bulletproof.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:31 p.m.

You're asking on here if you shouldn't buy some cheap vehicle? Really ?

SlickDizzy
3/1/12 12:32 p.m.
seller said: clear title never been off road rig all org at 700 im losing money paid 900 3 weeks ago 139000 miles ive had 30 e mails on it the snow is making people scared the man that had it drove it and it lost spark he parked it got new coil and points and cond clutch slave cyl froze up he got new one i have not on toy yet i woult say can get running in a day no problems cold in garage getting rid of for 68 cougar if wanted for 2 years going to get wife only wants 1 here

I am so disappointed my tax return check isn't here yet.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:36 p.m.

i'd like to put that into google translate but it's not recognizing the original language. also concerned with the bullE36 M3 factor of "i bought it three weeks ago" and "boo hoo it's too cold in my garage to work on it even though it could be running in a day"

wasn't it cold three weeks ago?

i'd either part it out or avoid it completely.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
3/1/12 12:43 p.m.

I drove a '79 for years. 100% stock. Enormously strong axles and ring and pinion. Gears: 4:11. Tons of low end grunt from the straight six. Wicked cool back seats. Crazy strong vehicle. I'd keep the six but Advance Adapters has been helping small block Chevy's find thier way into TLC's for many years.

If there's a potential downside it'd be the Birfield joints in the front axle. Under power with wheels fully turned they can "explode". Mine never did... Never seen one fail either.

I think the hardtop and doors weigh just under 17,000 lbs

SlickDizzy
3/1/12 12:43 p.m.
seller said: wife only wants 1 here

That's all the answer I need. Also, they have some 3' of snow on the ground up there currently, so his claim is valid...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/1/12 12:50 p.m.

Watch for rust rust and more rust. The tailgate area on those tend to rust horribly. Also, expect around 10-13mpg

Great machines when they are right, but parts are hard to find and expensive when you find them. Check it out thoroughly, try not to fall in love, and make a logical decision.

An FJ40 can be a real money pit if you get the wrong one.

Check this for more info, and decent ones for sale: http://www.vintageoffroad.com/sale_start.cfm

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/1/12 12:58 p.m.

Glass bodies available - tough drivetrain - along the lines of vehicles that can be fixed with a hammer and a couple of screwdrivers - but if it fails, easy enough to swap in other stuff. My room mate in school had a chevy powered one. It was a cool ride to bash around in.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 4:23 p.m.

Yes

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/1/12 4:38 p.m.

I would, but then again I always do

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/2/12 10:34 a.m.

I haven't read any part of this thread except the title, but my answer is "yes."

Having helped my neighbor take off and put on his hardtop several times, I suggest you start pumping iron though. Or rig up a nifty pulley system in your garage ceiling. That thing is heavier than a mofo....and has to be lifted head-high to clear the posts.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/2/12 10:56 a.m.

DEAR GOD YES. HOLY BALLS GO GET IT RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, have you priced those out lately? $10k+ for a driver isn't unusual & restored peachy ones fetch well into the high twenties.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
3/2/12 11:19 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I think the hardtop and doors weigh just under 17,000 lbs

I LOL'd.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
3/2/12 11:32 a.m.

I believe this thread is mis-titled. Should read; I bought this FJ40.

so did you?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 11:37 a.m.

If you restore the front winch, that alone may be worth the asking price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6BRDiCuXhm962Bp7QEuCWQUKLYikNZxF1MwvSC9q7y3K6cn9ave773aPE1Ehwrhg