1 2
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/22/20 4:11 a.m.

Seems as though I may have an opportunity to buy a 2010 Buick LaCrosse.  I remember seeing it when it was new and it was pretty loaded with options as I recall.  Pearl white paint. Heated seats. Sunroof.  The car has 110,000 miles on it and well maintained I have been told and it wasnt until this past year that it even was driven in the winter. (Ohio)

I do not know if its the 3.0 or 3.6 V6 or if it is AWD.

To be honest I was not even shopping for this type of car but with a baby now, a sedan thats comfy and quiet and holds a carseat has a new appeal.  This would be my daily driver and hopefully for a few years.

With the limited info, is this a GM car to avoid due to 3.6 timing chain issues or was it cured by now? If its a 3.0, are these reliable?

Anything to be leary of?

Basically , is it worth pursuing.

Thank you all

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/20 5:46 a.m.

Isn't this just a renamed LeSabre?  I get all those L-names confused.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/22/20 6:36 a.m.

My parents have nearly that same car, and it has been ultra reliable and comfortable for them.  I say go for it.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/22/20 6:47 a.m.

You will be the envy of Chinese Nationals everywhere! 

These are the classic American sedans that the Chinese love and Americans have nearly abandoned. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/22/20 7:14 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Isn't this just a renamed LeSabre?  I get all those L-names confused.

2010 LaCrosse:

It's GM's "Epsilon II" platform that underpinned most mid-size or large GM sedans for the last 10 years (Malibu, Regal, Impala, etc)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/22/20 7:24 a.m.

If it's a 3.6, make sure the oil has been changed way too often, and the timing chains might be ok.  If they change based off the oil life monitor, the chains are either new already, or just about ready to start setting cam timing codes.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/22/20 7:57 a.m.

My parents just got rid of a 2006 (I think) lacrosse with over 200k miles because of rust issues underneath. It had a few minor issues in its life, but it's your typical gm sedan. Boring and reliable with good fuel economy for the size. A perfectly fine commuter. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
10/22/20 8:05 a.m.
CarKid1989 said:

...and well maintained I have been told and it wasnt until this past year that it even was driven in the winter. (Ohio)

Since we live is the same geography with you even more is the snow(rust) belt, this lack of exposure is a big deal.   I would say that this Buick is a rightfully responsible choice for a new dad.  

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/22/20 9:42 a.m.

Aside from the oil changing and time chains it should be good.  Our 2010 9-5 is on the same platform and I really like it.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/22/20 10:25 a.m.

My grandparents had one; it was every bit as good as the Avalon that they had at the same time (seriously). 

A member at the very swanky golf course I worked at bought one as the family hauler for his wife. His DD was a Quattroporte, and I think he had an NSX as well. I always thought that the LaCrosse made an odd choice with his other vehicles, but he said it was really an excellent vehicle, and he took it to visit clients if he thought that looking American, not over the top, but still being luxurious was important. 

It will not excite you, but it should be a decent vehicle. 

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
10/22/20 12:21 p.m.

Pass if AWD.  My dad has one that had a failed transfer case, luckily under warranty.   Otherwise his has been reliable, but he is 87 and only drove 40k miles.

Saab had the same Halden AWD system and had tons of diff and transfer case failures at early mileage.

His is rusting now too around wheels.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
10/22/20 1:11 p.m.

I have a road-warrior sales friend who swears by his LaCrosse if stealthy and rapidly eating highway miles is on your menu. Apparently police don't seem to notice them and if they do, slowing down and blending in with traffic seems to make the Buick the least likely suspect in the pack... Bonus points for AAA sticker on the bumper.    

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/22/20 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Aspen :

As long as the fluids and filter are changed regularly in the AWD system they will hold up.  Unfortunately GM did not, as far as I know, publish a service interval so I have read everything from 30K to 60K miles.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/22/20 2:45 p.m.

How good of a deal are you getting and what would it be replacing?

Would you be willing to cage it, cover it in alligator livery, wear polo shirts in the pits and paddock and run as team LaCoste at LeMons races? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/22/20 2:48 p.m.

No. 

Get a LS430/LS460L instead. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/20 3:39 p.m.

isn't that the same halden system that volvo uses that needs equal sized tyre diameters all around or it dies an early death?  

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/22/20 4:18 p.m.

Someone needs to get one of these and run it in Rally LaCrosse...

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/23/20 6:14 a.m.
noddaz said:

Someone needs to get one of these and run it in Rally LaCrosse...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....I see what you did there yes

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
10/23/20 7:05 a.m.

Every time I think about these cars, I think about how they had to be named something else in Canada and I giggle.

If you don't know why, do a quick Google search. You're welcome.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/23/20 7:34 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

isn't that the same halden system that volvo uses that needs equal sized tyre diameters all around or it dies an early death?  

Which system is that?  Volvo systems are really slack about tire diameters, which kinda shocked me.  They even say it's acceptable to tow rear wheels down.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
10/23/20 8:44 a.m.

The haldex system in automatic transmission subarus is very sensitive to wheel size, or at least it was a common trend in transmission failure when I had my SVX. But it seemed related as much to an overall weak transmission and aggressive AWD clutch programming (engagement ramps quickly with relatively small wheel speed difference) as much as anything. If the system engagement threshold is low and it runs FWD only until significant slip is detected, I could see tire size mattering much less.

I wonder if towing rear down is okay because with the engine off, the clutch pack driving the rear wheels doesn't have any engagement pressure so it effectively runs open? Still seems like the relative speed between drive and driven side in a multiplate clutch like that would cause some wear, but maybe not catastrophically and maybe not if it still gets some dip lubrication (bottom of the pack is immersed) when turning. My 2 stroke dirt bikes have the same kind of clutch and are only lubricated by dipping the bottom in oil, and they tolerate some incredible abuse.

On the Lacrosse topic, no personal experience but I have had that generation Impala with the 3.6 as a rental car many times, for 10+ hour drives. I was very impressed with its ability to gobble up miles, and it felt much better put together and more comfortable than the V6 chargers I occasionally got. FWD doesn't really matter for that kind of driving, and the 3.6 made more than enough power to get the job done. I imagine the Buick would be a step better, too.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/23/20 11:18 a.m.

Is that not pretty much every AWD system ever?

I've always heard that you should rotate AWD tires often and replace all 4 at the same time.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/23/20 12:28 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

The haldex system in automatic transmission subarus is very sensitive to wheel size, or at least it was a common trend in transmission failure when I had my SVX.

Subaru never used Haldex.  They always did it in house.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/23/20 9:37 p.m.
Duke said:

Is that not pretty much every AWD system ever?

I've always heard that you should rotate AWD tires often and replace all 4 at the same time.

Same here. SWMBO 's old Santa Fe had AWD. She replaced 2 tires with different brands of the same size. Except we know how every tire with the same size listed on the sidewall is the same size, right? Nuked the trans in about 4 months. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/23/20 11:25 p.m.
BoostedBrandon said:

Every time I think about these cars, I think about how they had to be named something else in Canada and I giggle.

Due to "self pleasure" in Fench didn't they name it Allure, but later renamed it back to LaCrosse?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F8aLvC8jB9QtK7ZWPbSvqE3nIQyMUEUrIBI4qExrsJdo0I1Hbw5swbR3dNPRI7rt