rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/14/15 9:10 p.m.

Hello again, I've only owned my 2008 MINI 'Justa' Cooper for about a year but we recently adopted a boy and also already having a daughter, the MINI is getting a bit crowded. I had to put some money into the car over the winter (water pump, coil packs, new rad and battery), now I need to put on new rotors. I still love the car but since I've been using the Mustang for autocross, leaving the MINI parked, I find myself looking for a nice Forester XT (a unicorn 5 speed 2004) again, or even an Impreza hatch WRX (2009-2010). I had a look at a Honda Accord Coupe V6 6speed and even though it's a coupe it has lots of room in the back seat. We have a Toyota RAV4 that I've been driving to haul the kids around but I'd like to have another fun family hauler in case I need to take the kids here and there. Plus the RAV4 makes me sleepy when I drive it...not that exciting a ride. Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep in the $8-10K mark as I could probably get that for the MINI, maybe.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/15/15 11:37 a.m.

So, you have kids, the car needs some work, and you find yourself looking for more suitible cars. Well, if you find yourself a more suitible car, I'd say trade in.

If I posted something like this, it would be because keeping the car (and getting a more suitable mommy mobile) would be making a decent chip in my pockets and I would want someone to convince me it was ok to get rid of it. Enough about me.

In the end, how bad does it hurt the pocket book? If you think the money spent on maintining the car could be better spent on your growing family, don't hesitate to sell. Get something with a little more space and toy around with it.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/15/15 4:36 p.m.

It's true I'm just looking for some justification as I've wanted a MINI Cooper for years but now that I have one, well, you know the chase is better than the catch. Thanks for the input, if I do trade I'll post up some pics of the new ride.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/15 8:28 p.m.

I have a love/hate relationship with Mini Coopers. They're super fun to drive but time-consuming to work on and unreliable in general. I've done far too many pain in the ass things on them at far too low mileages to consider one as my sole transportation. Plus rear seat access kinda sucks.

My Mazda2 is my Mini(non-S) substitute and frankly it's a blast to drive. I have a 2yo son(going on 3) and he fits fine. I'm not sure what your car seat situation is, two may be pushing it, but its worth a look. Overall they're bulletproof too, very few common real problems. Nothing like timing chains failing or water pumps and thermostat housings every time the moon changes phase.

A 2 with a rear sway bar and some Corksport springs/struts/shocks would make for a good sport daily driver.

Mazda 3 is a good car worth looking at too, had an 09 2.0l model, traded it for the 2 because its just more fun.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
6/15/15 8:42 p.m.

I purchased a new 03 Mini S and it was a blast. It's what got me into auto x . When we bought a bigger house in 04 for the growing family I sold it and got a used 00 golf tdi. Just got rid of the VW. I miss my Mini.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/16/15 2:56 p.m.
flatlander937 wrote: I have a love/hate relationship with Mini Coopers. They're super fun to drive but time-consuming to work on and unreliable in general. I've done far too many pain in the ass things on them at far too low mileages to consider one as my sole transportation. Plus rear seat access kinda sucks. My Mazda2 is my Mini(non-S) substitute and frankly it's a blast to drive. I have a 2yo son(going on 3) and he fits fine. I'm not sure what your car seat situation is, two may be pushing it, but its worth a look. Overall they're bulletproof too, very few common real problems. Nothing like timing chains failing or water pumps and thermostat housings every time the moon changes phase. A 2 with a rear sway bar and some Corksport springs/struts/shocks would make for a good sport daily driver. Mazda 3 is a good car worth looking at too, had an 09 2.0l model, traded it for the 2 because its just more fun.

I test drove one when I sold my Legacy wagon and I liked it. Later in the summer we had a journalist come to one of our autox's and he brought along a regular Mazda2 and a B-Spec racing 2. I was able to take it for a spin (the B-Spec), I let him take out my Mustang, and it was awesome! I was able to run about half a second faster than my Mustang in it. There's one a the local dealer with a $3500 dollar rebate sticker on the window. I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm sitting at about 160km on the MINI and I'm just waiting for the dreaded 'death rattle' as they call it. I've been keeping up with my oil changes (5-6000km) so I'm hoping that helps. Another benefit is my 4x100 rims should fit.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/16/15 3:45 p.m.

4x100 rims is a great benefit. I'd strongly factor that into your decision..

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/15 6:14 p.m.

In reply to rustysteel:

Do eeeet!

Here's my build thread if you want to read a bit more up on them. Only issue I've had is the spark plugs needed changed at 50k, supposed to last to 70 or 80k.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2011-mazda2-not-so-srs-bzns-stf-build/100748/page1/

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/21/15 11:24 a.m.

I tried to put the kids in the back of the MINI with their car seats, it's tight but can be done. I'm 6' and with the seat moved up a little bit my 8 year old daughter could fit behind me. My son is 6 and with shorter legs might be a better fit. If a nice WRX or Forester XT shows up at my favourite used car dealer I might still have a look. They have on Mazda 2 left on the lot in town, going to have a look at it today.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/23/15 8:06 p.m.

Test drove an '08 Honda Accord Coupe V6, nice but it was an auto. Kids loved it but I would need to drive the 6 speed. Drove the MINI home through my favourite route back from Peterborough, felt great. Struggles continue...

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/28/15 8:04 p.m.

Well I bought another booster seat and I'm going to make the MINI work for awhile longer.

Seats

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/29/15 11:24 a.m.

You can rebooth this thread later, then.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/29/15 7:55 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: You can rebooth this thread later, then. </blockquote

I will, going on a MINI rally this weekend, kids in the back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uxKXmISKciJ4F7rLpMoOKtsPsPgNN0oBHOiwfjl3dgtOUXG2SdsUe7UlXHqqShdo