Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
1/23/12 3:06 p.m.

This one looks really cool...

This one is MUCH mobetta...

alex
alex SuperDork
1/23/12 3:15 p.m.

This doesn't exactly solve the problem so much as mitigate it, but I've long thought this is a nice color combination.

It would be especially nice on a less goofy looking car. And I really don't care for these wheels.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/23/12 3:15 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/06/meet-first-modified-2012-volkswagen.html

I really like the new new Beetle.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/23/12 3:19 p.m.

The New New Beetle looks like someone stepped on the New Beetle. Too bad they didn't finish the job.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
1/23/12 3:37 p.m.

Lots more here- http://www.realautosport.com/nb_rallycars_world.htm

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/23/12 3:49 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The New New Beetle looks like someone stepped on the New Beetle. Too bad they didn't finish the job.

Non-curmudgeons might say "It looks like they chopped the roof. Sweet."

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/12 3:50 p.m.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/23/12 4:12 p.m.

They can't be cool.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/23/12 4:34 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: The New New Beetle looks like someone stepped on the New Beetle. Too bad they didn't finish the job.
Non-curmudgeons might say "It looks like they chopped the roof. Sweet."

HEY! YOU KIDS! GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN OR I'M CALLIN' THE COPS!'

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/12 4:57 p.m.

Seriously guys, TDI Beetles are going for sub-$2k around here. The drivetrain is worth that alone; let alone the car that's built around it! I know they are generally pretty tacky but there HAS to be a way! I'm starting to think it is possible...

To be honest, I'm actually kind of disappointed that everyone here is rallying around the "it can't be done!" mantra. Be a little creative, guys, instead of googling "Gay New Beetle" and posting the results here...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/23/12 5:14 p.m.

IMHO the single biggest problem with the car is the interior. It is completely useless and uncomfortable. You can fix looks but fixing the interior is a major PITA.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/23/12 5:15 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Seriously guys, TDI Beetles are going for sub-$2k around here.

Where? I sure could use one....

SlickDizzy wrote:

Looks like it has Pur-shhhhh wheels on it.... I rike it a rot.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
1/23/12 5:19 p.m.

I like the new New Beetle soooo much better, but if you are talking sub $2K for a TDI car.... I would drive the E36 M3 out of one, I don't care. I might put a sticker on the back like ">40mpg" or something with a blurry middle finger underneath it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/23/12 5:20 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I can tolerate that....

Because it starts to look like a 911 if you squint a bit.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/23/12 5:21 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Capt Slow wrote: LOL
Just needs the stick-on eyelashes to compliment the whole package.....

And the TTRS drivetrain.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/23/12 5:21 p.m.

I saw a yellow one lowered quite a bit with steelies, black hood and black smoke coming on the back.

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/23/12 5:22 p.m.

93Civic is right, the interiors are pretty much garbage, Rubbermaid sells nicer plastic for low low prices. This isn't a joke either, I seriously think Rubbermaid could do a nicer interior, hard plastics all painted to look like... more hard plastic isn't a turn-on.

Also the ride is pretty choppy for something that doesn't really handle that well. And it's got that awesome VW build quality! I don't want to turn this into a VW love/hate argument thread because those are easy to start and useless to read but I don't think it's a turn-on there either.

It's hard to get excited about cheap junk just because it's cheap. There I said it.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
1/23/12 5:25 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

The engine is the only good thing. It really is a driving motor swap, other than that, screw it.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/23/12 5:43 p.m.

Under $2k? Man, it's a damn shame Smyth didn't base the G3F on these things...

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/23/12 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

True dat.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/12 6:29 p.m.

Aren't used Phaeton's damn near free now? Seems like their drivetrain stuffed in the back could drastically change things.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/12 6:31 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Aren't used Phaeton's damn near free now? Seems like their drivetrain stuffed in the back could drastically change things.

If $18k is "damn near free" to you, you're doing a hell of a lot better than everyone else on this board

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/12 6:31 p.m.

FWIW, the New new Beetle is, according to VW, just the Beetle now!

I like the new one with the retro steelies and center caps. And I pointed out in another thread that it indeed does hint at dare I say 356?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/12 6:35 p.m.

If you can get them for sub 2k up there make a quick 2-3k per as all TDI's sell for 4-5k plus just 250 miles south in central Il.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
1/23/12 6:38 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: FWIW, the New new Beetle is, according to VW, just the Beetle now! I like the new one with the retro steelies and center caps. And I pointed out in another thread that it indeed does hint at dare I say 356?

The "Beetle" finally shows the lines of the original Beetle, something the "New" Beetle lacked. I came from the aircooled E36 M3box ranks and still like them, but the "New" Beetle looked hideous compared to the newest of Beetles. Dare I say VW is going in the right direction, something they hadn't done since '92.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d7uAetiZgL6P2crJkxVrNJeCBP5KF3sTlBQa67SfeJD65b9seeR3NYHvcNLvwvO1