1 2 3 4
HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
9/6/14 5:17 p.m.

I think most of us dream of big garages or shops to build our cars in. Garages that you could eat off the floor, and everything you need is an arms reach away.

But in reality, at least my reality, my garage is too small, too cluttered, too ill equipped for what I try to do in it. Not that it has stopped me from trying. So I'm curious what other GRM peoples use for their builds. A lop sided shack? A 4 bay garage? the driveway? I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/6/14 5:41 p.m.

Is that a 70s Civic in there? Awesome! I assumed they were all gone now.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/6/14 5:54 p.m.

Work in progress. You can read about it here.
Grosh Build Thread

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
9/6/14 6:33 p.m.
XLR99 wrote: Is that a 70s Civic in there? Awesome! I assumed they were all gone now.

Yep, it's a 78 Civic. It's a stalled project that I hope to make progress on this winter. Getting an engine swap from a 93 Civic with vtec.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/14 6:37 p.m.

Cool! That's the lightweight trunk model too!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/6/14 6:43 p.m.

I have fairly limited space (normal 2-car in-house garage) to do all my stuff (mostly I get about 1 1/2 bays). I won't re-invent the wheel and write again here (though it was featured in Classic Motorsports a few years ago as a "budget build garage"), so here's a link to my fairly short build thread over on GarageJournal. It may give you some ideas on cheap/easy ways to "make space" and organize stuff on a small budget.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198129

here's one pic:

from humble beginnings 5 or so years ago...

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/6/14 9:08 p.m.

The patch of grass my truck is sitting on and the driveway next to it. That's my garage/shop.

Photo was from a big thunderstorm and I was complaining about all of the water everywhere.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/7/14 12:06 a.m.

Nothing special. Just a big garage with a lonely Corvair.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
9/7/14 4:00 a.m.

I have a giant garage that's capable of parking at least 40 cars.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 parking space, and I'm not allowed to work on my car. The life of a city-dweller.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
9/7/14 7:55 a.m.

this was the 28x28 garage the week we were moving in. its probably the cleanest it has ever been (aka empty)

so far it is still completely unorganized, and the wife has found ways that we can drag E36 M3 home and "store it in the garage" to the point that one of the bays is currently completely useless and filled with some furniture we got for free but she decided she doesn't want. To be fair I have my share of crap in there too. I still can move stuff around and I have a lot of space to work with and it has so much potential.

I still lack adequate shelving/cabinets/etc for organization, I need to get building but currently the garage is mostly backburner status behind projects in the house which never seem to end before another one is lined up.

kylini
kylini Reader
9/7/14 9:20 a.m.

Here's an older pic of my tiny condo garage that doesn't fit my Dodge Intrepid with the tool chest anymore. Good thing my other car's a Miata!

Winter tires, hardtop, and tools take up the entire back. Shelving was originally for a closet but works great.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/7/14 10:48 a.m.

Not a great picture, but you can see some of the garage here:

And a little bit from the outside here:

I wish it were larger(that's what she said), but it's a decent garage. Ceilings are too low, and it isn't deep enough, but it has decent storage above it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/7/14 2:34 p.m.

So does anyone know how to post a picture with the new Flickr or should I just start drinking now?

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/7/14 4:22 p.m.

My garage is similar to the OP's - single car (well, historically maybe 1.5 - 2.0 cars, but the walls 'grow in' with each project).

Wide angle lens makes it appear more capacious.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
9/7/14 7:20 p.m.

Hey Jack, Here is ours, just did a dump run and cleaned up some stuff. Still trying to make the MINI fit in there with the Mustang. Maybe I can work some angles once the Mustang is put away for the winter.

Our Garage

Glenn

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/7/14 8:07 p.m.

Here is my garage with too much stuff in it. The newest addition is the bit of counter top and the laundry tub sink in the far right side.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/14 8:25 p.m.

21' deep by about 20' wide, although one bay loses 4' in depth due to some stairs. Coming from a gravel driveway and more recently a fabric garage on a pressure-treated wood platform that I built with my father-in-law, I'll take it.

Mini projects have included painting it, hanging the SafeRacks for some additional storage, hanging some cabinets we picked up for a song on CL, extending the dryer vent to the outside wall, and the Belgian block you can see out front where we connected a downspout so it doesn't empty in front of the garage door. It's been very functional, and we can store two vehicles in the winter, in addition to the lawn tractor, snowblower, and generator.

Wishlist (apart from a detached 30' by 30' shop) is some better lighting and more outlets. I'd love a two-post, but the column in the middle kills any chances if that...

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
9/7/14 8:37 p.m.

A bad pic but here's my garage. mazda's in garages seems to be a trend in this thread

This picture conveniently hides a lot of the clutter!

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
9/7/14 9:00 p.m.

Ok updated picture as it sits right now:

It's a bit more cluttered. The work bench needs to be cleaned off but i'm in the middle of 2 projects. A chair for the baby and a birdhouse for my parents. RC car top left is an HPI RS4 2 w/ lots of carbon fiber and a trinity sirio 'outlaw' engine. I think the outlaw version had an additional small intake port or something? It was slightly more powerful so I went with that one. Why not.

A bunch of wood you couldn't see in the previous shot, mostly destined to someday become bows. Ugly, intrusive wood cabinet holds car washing/detailing stuff, mostly rags to stop sawdust from getting on them and such. Pink bike is an old trek road bike I painted up for my wife when we were dating.

Another corner. More wood in log form to become future bows, lots of vertical storage

A bit more clutter here. I haven't found a permanent home for the compressor. The chair is out of an old 80's econoline. I don't know if it was from my econoline (which has custom flexsteel seats) or from another one since my dad had a lot of econolines. I want to make it into a chair, so I need to figure out how to make it swivel-ly, or just deal with it not being swivel-ly. I'll start on that once I get the other 2 done.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/7/14 9:12 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Work in progress. You can read about it here. Grosh Build Thread

Just read through that whole build thread. Especially now that I've learned you're so close to me, I'm even more inspired to have a similar setup one day.

Here's my current setup. At one point in the last month I had seven cars permanently at the house.

travellering
travellering New Reader
9/7/14 9:42 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

What's your posting device? On my Android tablet, I go to the picture I want, and the is three dots to the lower right of the picture. Under that menu is "view all sizes.". I click that and the pick the size I want 800medium for this example. When that opens up, I click and hold on the picture and select view picture in new tab. When I have the new tab with just the picture open, I copy and paste what's in the address bar to the insert picture link on this board...

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
9/7/14 10:57 p.m.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/011_zpsced79d40.jpg.html][/URL]

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/8/14 12:10 a.m.

How do you people get anything done in all that clutter. My OCD would go nuts. This is the worst photo I could find so I could fit in.

Other side.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
9/8/14 3:11 a.m.

3 cars in a 2 car attached garage:

from the front:

my project as of tonight:

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
9/8/14 5:25 a.m.

Already I have garage envy to most of you.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gffwaLk3KeLCW8Ge9goixHKlGlabhITbEdt4OwCBfl4flruSNG1fehYVbRQt5GYe