1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 46
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/20 5:14 p.m.
Brotus7 said:
CAinCA said:

Tonight's quarantine project was a BXA dial indicator holder for my lathe.

GENIUS!

Thanks, but I can only take credit for making it reversible. I've seen a few of these on The Hobby Machinist forum.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/20 1:01 a.m.

I made and packed a box of garage sprays and fluid. I'm surprisingly low on cardboard boxes, but have a bunch of 12"plywood strips from a previous project. 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/10/20 6:53 a.m.

Drew this up and 3D-printed some for work.  Part of the disease-control measures.

Lever adapter for spherical doorknobs

The intent is to make it easier to turn the knob using a  "no-touch" tool, elbow, or even forearm.  

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/10/20 7:39 a.m.

I made this last year. I mean I didn't MAKE the metal, but I put it together! I didn't know how to weld, so I picked up a Hobart 220V welder from my buddy and watched some YouTube videos. After a bit of practice I was ready to go.

Build Requirements:

Cheap (under $1000 all in), Lightweight (within reason), narrow (I have a narrow gate it had to fit through), long tongue so I can tow it with the tailgate down, 8x6.5 bolt pattern to match tow vehicle.

The trailer is obviously a little more sensitive to weight distribution, but it tows 10 times better than any of the dual axle trailers I've used before. I honestly forget I'm towing a trailer at times. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/10/20 8:39 a.m.

Beautiful. I have the fixin's for a similar one in my driveway .

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/10/20 10:31 a.m.

To go with the stormtrooper earlier.  (Below for reference):

(501st Legion and now Rebel Legion, charity costuming groups)

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
4/10/20 12:37 p.m.

Doing a motor swap in a ZA MG Magnette.  Installing a 5 main 1.8 MGB motor. The linkage for the H series SU's didn't line up with the HS4s on the new motor.

Take the original linkage and mill a hex onto it and shorten it 75%

McMaster wants $80 a foot for flexible shaft, however the harbor freight 2 blocks away had 1/4" impact extensions for under a five

Turned out a new piece to connect to the butterfly shaft and flex shaft

Crimp the new end to the repurposed HF tool

Complete

And installed 

It actually works very well! Great pedal feel

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
4/10/20 6:10 p.m.

Short version.

Sis, nurse, California. Last night managers told staff to get own masks by Monday. Mild panic to find masks. 

She knows I was making a few. Called me. She is going sell them with an eye toward need. I told her if a nurse is having a rough time and she just gives them a mask that's cool.

But if they want to throw some money my way, I won't mind. After the worst need is met I'll be a little less charitable.

Finalized pattern today. Made good patterns to trace. Wood was first prototype. There is also another style like the MASH surgical masks.

Shipped what I could today at 2pm.

So from truck driver to college student to software tester to seamstress. cheeky

Back to the sweatshop.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/10/20 6:21 p.m.
Trent (Generally supportive dude) said:

Doing a motor swap in a ZA MG Magnette.  Installing a 5 main 1.8 MGB motor. The linkage for the H series SU's didn't line up with the HS4s on the new motor.

Take the original linkage and mill a hex onto it and shorten it 75%

McMaster wants $80 a foot for flexible shaft, however the harbor freight 2 blocks away had 1/4" impact extensions for under a five

Turned out a new piece to connect to the butterfly shaft and flex shaft

Crimp the new end to the repurposed HF tool

Complete

And installed 

It actually works very well! Great pedal feel

That came out great!

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
4/10/20 6:35 p.m.
WillG80 said:

I made this last year. I mean I didn't MAKE the metal, but I put it together! I didn't know how to weld, so I picked up a Hobart 220V welder from my buddy and watched some YouTube videos. After a bit of practice I was ready to go.

Build Requirements:

Cheap (under $1000 all in), Lightweight (within reason), narrow (I have a narrow gate it had to fit through), long tongue so I can tow it with the tailgate down, 8x6.5 bolt pattern to match tow vehicle.

The trailer is obviously a little more sensitive to weight distribution, but it tows 10 times better than any of the dual axle trailers I've used before. I honestly forget I'm towing a trailer at times. 

That looks so much better than the way I towed a ZX2 to the Challenge last year. 

Nice work!

79rex
79rex Reader
4/10/20 9:15 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

Do I spy, with my little eye, a combination of a Neon and Toyota shifter?  Where's it going?

Its all neon parts going into a neon. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/11/20 7:06 a.m.
spandak said:
malibuguy said:

Custom 304ss header i built for a customer the other week.

Then the week before that this custom 304ss exhaust for a Boxster

Ohhh pretty

Did the Boxster drone after that or anything? I hear rumors that a non droning exhaust that isn't stock doesn't exist 

Can confirm, tried TechArt and B&B, gave up.Drone city

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/11/20 7:32 a.m.

In reply to spandak :

It was reported to me it did not drone at all.  I did not drive it so I cannot verify.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/20 3:58 p.m.

80% done on my going-out-in-public COVID mask.  Needs straps and some seals along the top edge.

Makes me feel shiny and chrome.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/11/20 5:05 p.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
4/11/20 9:12 p.m.

Used some sorta rusty but very free sheet to make new pillars. Used some angle and clamps and my fat backside since I don't have a brake. Also a bfh.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/12/20 1:53 a.m.

I made a stick with a screw in it. 

And while I prefer a stick with a nail in it, this was hardwood and needed drilled to not split the wood.

Sadly, this is the only thing I have made in nearly two months. frown

BTW, it worked for it's intended purpose. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
4/14/20 9:18 a.m.

DIY bandsaw table. I can buy one online for a reasonable price but where would the fun be in that? And I then learned that the single attachment point for the purchased table would have resulted in an unacceptably wobbly saw. So on my DIY version I ended up adding a weird jib structure and modifying a vice grip to provide a 2nd clamping location.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/20 8:51 p.m.
Sparkydog said:

DIY bandsaw table. I can buy one online for a reasonable price but where would the fun be in that? And I then learned that the single attachment point for the purchased table would have resulted in an unacceptably wobbly saw. So on my DIY version I ended up adding a weird jib structure and modifying a vice grip to provide a 2nd clamping location.

I have the swag offroad table for mine and while yes its a bit pricey.  It went together PERFECTLY.  I thought for sure i was going to have to egg some holes, something.  I dont get so satisfied with a purchase often.  Ive had it 5 years and it gets regular use.  Im on my 3rd saw LOL

EfiniMotorsport
EfiniMotorsport New Reader
4/14/20 9:45 p.m.

Made a cart so I can roll around my current project car. It probably shoulud have been about 6" shorter in height though

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
4/14/20 10:46 p.m.

I made a shed. Wanted to buy one, but building was a fraction of the price and I could make it exactly how I wanted it. I loosely followed plans I found on the internet. I added a couple feet and put doors on both ends. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
4/14/20 11:21 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

Looks good, what plans did you start with?

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
4/15/20 1:48 a.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

I used these as a guide...

https://myoutdoorplans.com/shed/8x12-barn-shed-plans/

I made mine 14x8 instead (under 120 sq ft doesn’t require a permit in my area, otherwise 16x8 would have been better.) I added doors on both sides, a loft, and hanging shelving. Very easy to follow plans. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/15/20 7:50 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

80% done on my going-out-in-public COVID mask.  Needs straps and some seals along the top edge.

Makes me feel shiny and chrome.

I gotta make the same! Do you have more pics?

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
4/27/20 9:31 a.m.

Vice pedestal enhancements!

A: 4 outlet electrical box and 15' 20 amp extension cord.

B: Hammer holder.

C: Portable bandsaw caddy bracket.

Still to do:

D: A way to stow the bandsaw table when not in use

E: (Not pictured) a little caddy to hold some wood & metal blocks that I use to beat/bend stuff in the vice.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3cNsZHaLmDqUU364COBPfJex1qr0WwvGO7GARNm3drtlUCEJk0J2FsBmRvT5WKxl