1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 46
Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/20/20 7:56 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

That's awesome, mind posting what it is and a pic of the outside?  I want to build a Skoolie in the worst way

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/20/20 8:31 p.m.

Ingot trays for the foundry.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/20 12:51 a.m.

I made a Hydraulic adapter for my JD3 Model 3. 

Total Cost $12

-3x2.5" exhaust clamps.  Buy the nice ones with thick metal and 3/8" u-bolts

-a piece of scrap 1/4" x 2" HR Plate 24" long.  

-3" piece of 1" OD x .125 wall DOM

-2" piece of 1.25 OD x .065 wall DOM

The other end is just a metal T made out of the two tubes.  The end of the cylinder just presses into it and it's captured by the drive pin on the JD2.

I'm using the Cylinder from my engine Hoist.  I didn't have to modify the cylinder and the large bracket I attached can stay on the cylinder though removal requires disassembling the bender so I will probably just undo the 3 U-bolts.  One could easily buy a cylinder but this way I only have one.   It took a bit of Iteration to get to the final size/placement for things.  Now I know and could make the second one easily.  

And to prove it works here it is bending 1.625 x .095 wall 4130.  I can get 60* per full cylinder stroke.  It is about 1* per pump of the jack.  

Yay for something working!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/21/20 9:57 a.m.

My sister wanted a recipricating saw for her birthday so I made a box for it to go in. Lasers are cool!

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
9/21/20 10:05 a.m.

One trick pony, but at least it's a good trick.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/21/20 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

That's cool. What's it for?

And...when you draw up the parts of the cone, how do you figure the radius of the edge lines? Like, I get the lengths are the circumferences of your pipes, but when you draw the flat piece those lines are part of a circle. How do you know what radius to use?

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
9/21/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

It's an adapter for some air ducts.  Nothing fun.

Pulserate Cone Layout does all the hard thinking.  Absolutely invaluable (says the guy still using the freeware version 300+ days after the trial ended...)

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/21/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Thanks! Sure. It's a '73 Airstream Safari. I did the work over about 5 years and we lived in it for 9 months while we built our cottage on our land in TN. We sold it Friday and it's outside waiting for it's new owner. I was looking at all the old pictures from start to finish and I don't think I could do it again smiley Edit: If you build your skooly, Google "joggle stick method" It's how I made my curved parts.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
10/1/20 1:02 a.m.

It's nothing major, but I made a custom exhaust for my 128i and finally got some half way decent audio of it. It's an N55 135i midpipe and muffler, that I picked up cheap, welded to the first 12-18 inches of the 128i exhaust. The stock 128i exhaust starts out 50mm for the front 3 cylinders and 55mm for the rear 3 cylinders. The 135i midpipe runs both 60mm.  So I took a bit of the excess 55mm tubing to transition between the 50mm and 60mm tubing.  With a max of 2mm total slop and significant overlap at each joint, it all slid together easily (actually tighter than expected) and nicely held itself in place on the car for tacking before coming off for final welding. So 3 crappy welds later, I had this:

This has dramatically improved the sound of the car, which was pretty much non-existant from the factory:

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/1/20 1:20 a.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

I've always wanted an Airstream. They just seemed so much better than the tin boxes with beige graphics. Most travel trailers look like you could accidentally put your foot through it.  Airstreams look like they're a booster rocket away from being a NASA vehicle

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/20 4:33 p.m.

Can anyone guess what year this was?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/2/20 6:47 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The way things are going, I'm gonna say 2020.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/20 5:02 p.m.

A first grader probably could have done this if you were willing to let him use a drill.

Since I'm home retired, on suitable weather days I like to put up a kite and leave it tethered to something in the yard-- usually the fence or the propane tank.

Some of these pull really hard (shown is 80# test line, I've a 10 square foot foil that uses 150#), so taking a loop through chain link is kind of difficult sometime.

So, I got some little cleats and put the rest together out of scrap, hardware and some 'biners I had laying around.

Much easier.

solfly
solfly Dork
10/8/20 7:23 a.m.

Car seat anchor 2.0

Just need to deburr and add eyelet

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/10/20 2:19 p.m.

My brother and his wife just had a baby a couple months ago.  I made this as a baby gift just to hang in his room.  My brother is a big bow hunter and frequently goes out to Colorado to hunt.  I made the "bow" using a piece of 1/8" mild steel and put the curve in it by bending it around my welding bottle until it looked good.  The "arrow" is 3/8" rod and the fins on the arrow or a couple pieces of 16ga sheet metal that I cut and put a little bend into give them some shape.   I heated up the arrow with a propane torch to give it the blue and gold color and then clear coated it with some spray paint.  I'm happy with how it came out and I think he will appreciate it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/10/20 3:25 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Justjim75 :

Thanks! Sure. It's a '73 Airstream Safari. I did the work over about 5 years and we lived in it for 9 months while we built our cottage on our land in TN. We sold it Friday and it's outside waiting for it's new owner. I was looking at all the old pictures from start to finish and I don't think I could do it again smiley Edit: If you build your skooly, Google "joggle stick method" It's how I made my curved parts.

Dude, we have the same exact trailer. Ours is a '72 Safari 23'. I wish I'd seen this a few years back- could have gotten some resto tips from you. I took it down to bare frame and fixed a few frame crossmembers. We took 1.5 years to make it "campable" and have been camping in it for two. I love it! Just a couple months ago I started the polishing process. I'm not sure I should have started this at all!  Haha. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/10/20 3:47 p.m.

The open ends of the pickup front end that I used in my Datsun replicaare ugly, and I've decided to make covers for them.  Better, not only making covers, but using them as a place to mount parking lights, and to have nifty backlit logos for car shows.  Here's the one I did before

Here's the one I made today

And here's a step-by-step of how

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/10/20 5:25 p.m.

Finally got my uncle's toolbox off the shelf, where it was too tall to open. Casters on all 4 corners,  brakes on the front. Lincolin buzz box is going underneath. With a 2 motorcycle garage, I want things to be mobile, in case I need that particular corner for a project.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/11/20 5:10 p.m.

Put together some cribbing this weekend - need to use it under the courier for wiring work, and under the Austin for any/all drive line evaluation and repairs! Pain, but they should be great to use. Miata on tall jackstands for scale.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
10/11/20 6:12 p.m.

Picked up some 8/4 ash for a new dining room table, yesterday  

Sanded and cut the top Today, I'll have to assemble in the house, wayyyy to heavy to move as one 12 foot by 45 inch slab!

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
10/11/20 6:27 p.m.

Concrete countertop for my in-laws  bathroom remodel.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
10/11/20 6:31 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Picked up some 8/4 ash for a new dining room table, yesterday  

Sanded and cut the top Today, I'll have to assemble in the house, wayyyy to heavy to move as one 12 foot by 45 inch slab!

Beautiful....err got wood .....oops I'll show myself out ..late

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/11/20 8:04 p.m.
SlowNB said:

Concrete countertop for my in-laws  bathroom remodel.

Right side cubby for wastebasket, or clothes hamper? Looks really good!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/14/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

Finished with the stucco and paint 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/14/20 12:20 p.m.

Just wanted to follow along to see cool things built. So ill post something i did that took about a year and i finished in may. 

Built, modified, and rebuilt this deck that wraps all around my house. Here is just the Back, which was completely gone and fallen down when we bought it. For hand rails we implemented seats so there is never a need for you to stand. The back portion is the largest spanning 72ft x 12ft. 

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AYaDn0iS9PbCbsealQ9jkrzve1wizq7LPSu8c11NeFFIQdglpBBbYwB6ZVBuB7Q3