1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 46
Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/5/20 10:29 p.m.

Have now!

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/20 10:59 p.m.

My oldest picked up skateboarding during COVID-19 time this year. So for his birthday, he learned to use some tools and we built a mini ramp for him to practice. It's 30" tall in each end, and had a 4' flat section in the middle.

We we're looking for a good place to put it in the yard, but were running out of time to level out a spot before it gets cold. So, we threw it all on the screened in porch. Poly goes up on the windows soon to keep some of the wind out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/20 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Glad to show it!

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Is he going to be ramping in the porch now?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/7/20 9:17 p.m.

Finished up the metal work on a side table that's been kicking around on my workbench for a few months. Needs a little more finishing and paint.

It's 2 tiered, lower side is sheet metal spot welded on, and the upper flats will take glue/adhesive for a thin wood upper. Not sure how it'll come out, but at least it's out of my garage now!

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/12/20 12:17 a.m.

Gift boxes for my wife's friends. She's going to fill these with handmade soaps and washcloths. 

Boxes are finger jointed aromatic cedar finished with tung oil.

Someone called my radial arm saw a dinosaur so I made a new table and dust collection box to give it some love.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/20 6:06 p.m.

Grandma walks out to the shop wednesday evening and says, "the grandkids are going to be in the parade this Saturday, Right?"

Yes dear...  Bring me your golf cart.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/20 6:57 p.m.

I made SWMBO a homemade Christmas gift. We both shoot so I think she will like it.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
12/12/20 7:05 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Very cool. In high school a friends parents allowed us to build a halfpipe in there 2 car garage. We used 4 foot radius transitions. It was interesting dropping in as the garage had an 8 or 9 foot ceiling

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 12:34 a.m.

sorted through my huge bin of bolts and built pull-out sliders with hardware organizers mounted to it.

This is for SAE and I have another slider for metric (which will be tricky since I have so many metric bolts scrounged from various cars over the years) and one unfinished for the screw guns and more hardware organizing, maybe the wood screws and similar.

Adding the labels made it really real even though I need to sort the nuts and washers next.

I was just happy to complete something to the point that I could clear some parts of the bench.  That's a major accomplishment for me, especially lately.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
12/13/20 12:41 a.m.

The handle for the pizza cutter broke.  So I printed a new one on the 3D printer and after heating up the metal parts of the cutter with the heat gun, I was able to slide them together and it's much more solid than it ever was.

A better solution than just junking the bits to sit in the landfill and it cost me a few cents in PLA filament.

Unfortunately I touched the guard and burned my fingers because no project is complete without some sort of sacrifice.

I sharpened the blade a little while I was at it, hopefully it will work better than it did before.  I suspect I'll cook some frozen pizza on the Traeger tomorrow and test it out.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/13/20 8:38 a.m.

I didn't make it, but the best thing in the world for cutting pizza is an Ulu knife...

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
12/14/20 10:24 a.m.

Starting a little side hustle to make my vintage motorcycle addiction self sustaining.  First three pipes I made are effectively wall hangers, number four is good enough for my own bike, and number five and six are good enough to put my name on and sell.  Feels like it's been two straight months of ups and downs, but it's immensely rewarding to see my work improve and the response from the Ossa community has been pretty overwhelming.

Here's #005 of my stock Ossa Stiletto replica pipe.

Now I just have to make ~20 more. cool

Trent
Trent PowerDork
12/14/20 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

Stellar!

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
12/14/20 2:59 p.m.

Pipe looks great.  That's awesome that you already have orders for 20 more.  Are you welding part of it with silicon bronze and part with regular mild steel filler?  If so, can you explain the reason?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
12/14/20 3:13 p.m.
Rodan said:

I didn't make it, but the best thing in the world for cutting pizza is an Ulu knife...

Um, thanks? I guess?!

I was just happy that I made something useful and didn't have to just throw something in the trash.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
12/14/20 6:43 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:

Pipe looks great.  That's awesome that you already have orders for 20 more.  Are you welding part of it with silicon bronze and part with regular mild steel filler?  If so, can you explain the reason?

Yessir, the idea is that the silicon bronze has a much smaller HAZ.  I use it on all the mount overlay parts in hopes that it won't fatigue on the edge of the heat affected zone.  Thin wall expansion chambers like this expand and contract as the exhaust pulse pressure wave whacks back and forth from the exhaust port, to the baffle, and back again.  You'll supposedly see failures on the edge of the HAZ on mounting points because of this.  That's the idea at least.  Mostly I'm just copying Scalvini and a couple other small players.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/14/20 8:19 p.m.

I "made" this post 100% less evil by adding this comment to +1 the thread

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
12/15/20 7:30 a.m.

When immensely upgrading my e350 van/pickup tow beast - probably the only e350 with a 5th wheel hitch, I needed to cool the air charge down so I made a diy water/methanol injection system to inject the washer fluid. The turbo outlet looks like a snail now. 

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/15/20 7:50 a.m.
mdshaw said:

When immensely upgrading my e350 van/pickup tow beast - probably the only e350 with a 5th wheel hitch, I needed to cool the air charge down so I made a diy water/methanol injection system to injection the washer fluid. The turbo outlet looks like a snail now. 

I like that! Have you added an inter cooler yet? I just removed my trans cooler (switching to a ZF5) so I'm hoping that buys me enough room to squeeze one in. 

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
12/15/20 7:59 a.m.

No room for an intercooler. Much less room than pickups. You're changing an e350 to manual? I considered that but had the E4OD built by some experts.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
12/15/20 2:54 p.m.

Made boat seats into "bomber" seats for my T-bucket

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1ErQtedx9vw

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
12/16/20 1:48 a.m.

Car trailer out of a wrecked 35' 5th wheel. It only works because I used a 1" aluminum corrugated semi trailer bed & many 3"x7"x5' long x 3/8" thick steel angle scrap warehouse forklift guards for reinforcement. I don't recommend using old 5th wheel trailers. Was a ton of work.

Also replaced the axles with 4- 2500lb torsion axles.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/20 10:05 a.m.
mdshaw said:

Car trailer out of a wrecked 35' 5th wheel. It only works because I used a 1" aluminum corrugated semi trailer bed & many 3"x7"x5' long x 3/8" thick steel angle scrap warehouse forklift guards for reinforcement. I don't recommend using old 5th wheel trailers. Was a ton of work.

Also replaced the axles with 4- 2500lb torsion axles.

I recently discovered these ratchet straps that contain all that excess strap so you don't have to find creative ways to tie them off. I bought 6 of them for my work trailers and they have made life so much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRG8I16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/20 10:30 a.m.

We needed a way to catch seed batches after cleaning them at work so I made up some funnels that we can clamp our seed storage bags to to speed up the process and reduce spillage.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/20/20 1:07 p.m.

This isn't quite finished by my daughter and I made this clock memorial thing for my MIL.  It's going to get a picture of her Dad on it below the star clock and then the angle area is going to get stenciled with "US ARMY" and his Name.   She helped cut all the wood, paint/stain it, and refine the design details.  But she's pretty proud of what we've made.

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X46OG7VZTLC9aqo2bxIMv2aMXBmgSGjW0N0K1rMdbDp1esdaVn8PbMeTaRdYuxeH