Adjustable standing desk for my wife.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/21 6:02 p.m.

Everyone loves speed holes

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/2/21 9:15 p.m.

The tool holder in my lathe is crap. I bought a hopefully nice one, but rather than a Tee nut, it came with a square of steel with a tapped hole in it so you can make a Tee nut the size you need.  That is a good job for a mill. I do not have a mill.  I have a sawzall and a lathe with a crappy tool holder.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/20/21 5:57 p.m.

Forced air propane burner for the keg foundry furnace. 130 CFM 12V DC bilge blower w/ motor speed controller. Black pipe and fittings, some PVC fittings, 3D printed adapters, flex tubing and MIG tip orifice. Built only as a test piece it'll be good enough for foundry use w/ a couple more tweaks. 

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/21/21 3:19 a.m.

We have this crooked little plumeria in our backyard, and I’ve always wanted to try and train it to grow more upright.  So I whipped this up out of some scrap redwood, a pulley, and some string.  Tie one end to the tree, and the other to something heavy (an old cast iron pulley I use as a paper weight on my bench) and let gravity do the rest!

With any luck, over time we’ll have a straight(er) tree down the road.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
2/21/21 7:15 a.m.

In reply to jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) :

I think you should run your cord through a length of old hose where it goes around the tree, to protect the tree.  It looks like you could girdle the branch as you have it now, killing that branch.  I'm not an arborist, though.  :-)

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/21/21 7:23 a.m.

Had to clean out a storage unit that I had because they sold the property and are bulldozing them down...

Problem is I have "no room" in my current unit. Well until...

What I started with initially...

Plus all this..

2/21/21 3:46 p.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT :

Yes I think so too.  Did not have time to get down to the store yesterday, but the “proof of concept” seems valid, so I plan on swapping out a thicker cord today as well as some hose to protect the bark.  \m/

Edit: Also “girdling the branch” sound like arborist talk to me, lol. :)

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
2/21/21 5:56 p.m.

i fly fish and tie my own flys     

Yourself
Yourself New Reader
2/22/21 6:41 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

i fly fish and tie my own flys     

I fry fish and zip my own fly.          (Sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, really nice job on the flies!

79rex
79rex Reader
2/22/21 8:20 p.m.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/21 8:25 p.m.

made a support rack and welded on corner stabilizers for a friends rooftop tent camping trailer.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
2/22/21 9:56 p.m.
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) said:

We have this crooked little plumeria in our backyard, and I’ve always wanted to try and train it to grow more upright.  So I whipped this up out of some scrap redwood, a pulley, and some string.  Tie one end to the tree, and the other to something heavy (an old cast iron pulley I use as a paper weight on my bench) and let gravity do the rest!  With any luck, over time we’ll have a straight(er) tree down the road.

Arborist here. Just dig it up, cut/break away the plastic pot and plant it deeper & straighter (bury the nasty looking lower trunk section). It'll be fine even if you have to hack off roots. I'd cut half off each branch and stick them in the ground somewhere else you'd like one, they'll root by themselves where you are without using hormones and the original plant will look better in just a couple months with the new growth it will put on. If it's got flower buds on it now I'd wait till it flowers before digging it up or pruning it. I grow them to sell. 

2/23/21 3:32 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Arborist here. Just dig it up, cut/break away the plastic pot and plant it deeper & straighter (bury the nasty looking lower trunk section). It'll be fine even if you have to hack off roots. 

That’s legit advice, problem is this is a rental home and the landlord planted it.  So I’m trying not to screw with what they did too much (seriously though, they didn’t bother to take it out of the nursery pot?!?) but do what I can to give this little tree a better/more upright life.

And I did not know you grow plumeria to sell.  Also legit!  \o/

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/23/21 8:20 p.m.

New water pump impeller for a 1913 Buick.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/23/21 9:27 p.m.

Vegetables

didn't really make anything, besides mud in the kitchen. But still, kinda neat. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/23/21 10:28 p.m.

Why are you building a live-action Q-bert game in your yard?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/23/21 10:43 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

It's a sort of retaining wall that was installed by a previous owner. The morning lighting and out-of-focusness does make for a fun effect though. It's just  dirt stained concrete. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
2/24/21 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Yourself :

thank you

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/25/21 8:20 p.m.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/28/21 7:30 p.m.

This hardly counts, but I quit all my other social media so now you all get to bear the brunt of the inconsequential junk I'm assembling.

I cut up an unwanted crib and turned it into a skateboard rack. These were all in my super small garage and were constantly being shuffled around as I worked on stuff.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
2/28/21 9:17 p.m.

I made a folding steering console, and some low side panels, so my pontoon can fit under the bridge to the river at high tide:

Also built a leaning sidecar for my SV650 so Bogart could come along for rides

Christmas Parade selfie

RIP Bogart

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
2/28/21 9:41 p.m.

So, maybe not the traditional "made something" you guys usually see here, but I've gotten back into writing and have an ongoing series over on Reddit. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/comments/lnwuc5/humans_are_stealthier_than_the_aliens_think_we_are/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 46

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eth4KoL18vGAJ9O4yVYRQCNeZh2Jt2WNhkpejyGDeXqS5mPK1ecYRzEOz0gTTnvG