1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 46
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/19/19 8:11 p.m.

Did not make the art, but built the frame.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
3/19/19 8:53 p.m.

Still printing parts for this guy.....

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
3/19/19 9:00 p.m.

Made the art, but no frame yet. 18'x36" acrylic on canvas.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/19/19 9:01 p.m.
WheelPowerracing said:

Coat and hat hangers, folk art from recycled horshoes and industrial bearings for my daughters horse club to auction off

Did the used shoes all come from the same place? 

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/19 2:43 p.m.

Built this for the kid's coats and backpacks etc a couple years ago. I had almost an entire sheet of 3/4 plywood leftover that I needed to find something to do with. My daughter's birthday was coming up so I built her a dollhouse that can be converted into a bookshelf once she grows out of it.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/7/19 3:41 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
NOT A TA said:[/URL]

what is that wondrous machine behind the box?

It's a Factory Five GTM with a lot of additional modifications I've been working on and off for years. LS engine, Porsche G 50 trans, Isis electrics, Kooks exhaust, roof scoop, C pillar scoops, fender louvers, blah blah blah. Currently doing bodywork. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/7/19 5:44 p.m.

Finally finished my new work/fab bench...

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
4/7/19 7:11 p.m.

I have to wear my ID on a lanyard at work but I hate lanyards, so I make my own. 

SlowNB
SlowNB New Reader
4/7/19 8:01 p.m.

Concrete countertop in our master bath addition.

freetors
freetors Reader
4/7/19 8:20 p.m.

Didn't really "make" this per se, but I did modify this wrench to fit in my bicycle's saddle bag and be really lightweight and compact. It's a 15mm wrench for the axle nuts on my wheels. It started out as a ~110 gram combination wrench and now it weighs 40g!

bustedplug
bustedplug New Reader
4/9/19 3:17 p.m.

Here something I made about ten years ago. its roughly 6' wide x 8' tall x 2.5' deep. When I took the commission the client wanted it to "go with" some other furniture they had and they also supplied the lumber. I made the sketches and it got approved. The lumber that they provided was trees from the clearing of their house site and showed up at the shop as 8" x 12"s. That was a bit unexpected. So a little bit of negotiation and a lot bit of re-sawing later the armoire materialized. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
4/9/19 9:48 p.m.

Here are a few way things I made:

The frame is an old bed frame  

Frame here is also old bed frame and the mirror was a sliding closet door that I cut down

Used an an old pallet and reclaimed cedar paneling and window frame brackets and toilet bowl bolts:

This was made from an old bottom cabinet from an old kitchen and the top was a damaged upper we got that they replaced.  I had to make the upper deeper to match the lower:

The cabinet sides and backs  are fencing material that I cut down and stained different colors and depths

Made from the same reclaimed cedar paneling:

Pretty much everything here is born from me being cheap and prideful: I don’t want to buy something I can make and I don’t like to get compliments on something I don’t make.

pretty messed up to spend 8 hours making something I could just buy for $20.  

But things like the mirror are more worth it - something like that cost me $0 and would sell for $200-500

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/9/19 10:40 p.m.

^Please can you share some details on the way the backside of that mirror is constructed?

I have had similar thoughts of making a frame like that for a few pieces of artwork and also a mirror, but I always get hung up on finding the right way to hold it in from the backside and also how to hang it on the wall.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/19 12:44 a.m.

3D Printed a mount for the charge cord for the new hybrid.  Got tired of it being sling over random objects in the garage, etc.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
4/10/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

i wish i had some super trick method but I believe I simply siliconed it into place!  I used clear so it wouldn’t be as noticeable on the edges  

As far as hanging it, I figured out where I wanted it and located a few studs   I drilled two holes on the top of the frame that lined up with the studs and welded up a pair of brackets that would bolt to the wall and had short bolts sticking up that went through the two holes and put some shiny jam nuts on it that you can’t see unless you get up high.

i think I welded a bracket onto the inside of the bottom that engaged a bracket that screws to the wall that the mirror drops down onto to keep it from being pulled out from the bottom   But I may not have.....   can’t recall!

it might have been easier to weld little triangle gussets in the corners on the backside that were drilled large enough that a 1/4-20 bolt head (maybe ground down a little) could fit through.   Then take a 1-2” wide bar that just fits inside the frame on the back and weld the bolts to it so they will engage the holes to make a hanger     Then you can drill holes in the hanger wherever the studs are, Mount the hanger, then put slide the mirror onto the bolts  

D2W
D2W HalfDork
4/10/19 9:54 a.m.

This was my last watch build. A lot of custom work to the dial. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
4/13/19 12:45 p.m.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
4/13/19 12:46 p.m.

Made these matching guitars from wood found on my brother’s land........

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
4/13/19 12:46 p.m.

Thought David Wallens would really appreciate these.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
5/15/19 12:01 a.m.

Finally got around to mounting a shelf I made a few years ago. I was shooting for a vintage aircraft look and had the copper rivets laying around. 0.083 aluminum and pine.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
5/15/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

spalted maple?  i have a gear shift knob made of it on my Miata

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/15/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls (Trent) :

That top would look great a burnt finish IMO. 

Nice looking shelf anyway. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/15/19 2:33 p.m.

Yeah, cool guitars. Thanks for sharing. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/15/19 2:35 p.m.

And I made more zines. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/19 3:30 p.m.