1 2 3 4
93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/25/10 4:12 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Reproduction graphic are pretty easy here in the digital age. Back in the 1990's I used to buy my autocross graphics from Solotime and it seems that they are still in business. http://www.soloperformance.com/

Cool site!

Bummer that they don't have most of my aftermarket stuff, though.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/25/10 4:37 p.m.

I've got a set of old BFG's in (I think) 185-60-14. I was actually just selling the wheels they are on. If you look closely you can see the "T/A R1" in the bottom of the pic. Right about where my foot print is. BTW, the wheels are the same vintage, same bolt pattern, and for sale.

Very cool project!

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
1/25/10 6:35 p.m.

I think many of us may be feeling a bit "aged" while reading this thread discussing a vintage race car restoration - on a Miata!

I definitely prefer the looks with the white top and Actual Size graphics. However, that's a strong argument in favor of making it look like it did during its historic win. I suppose it depends on whether you want to show off the car for looks, or for historical accuracy. I'm not sure which way I'd prefer!

Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/25/10 8:34 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Yeah, because there's been such a shortage of Miata coverage...

Blah, blah, blah...

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
1/25/10 10:43 p.m.

Very cool project, that Miata is a piece of motorsports history. Well at least as far as Miatas are concerned. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/26/10 1:41 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: I've got a set of old BFG's in (I think) 185-60-14. I was actually just selling the wheels they are on. If you look closely you can see the "T/A R1" in the bottom of the pic. Right about where my foot print is. BTW, the wheels are the same vintage, same bolt pattern, and for sale.

If they are 185/60R14, then I might be able to use them. Don't need the wheels, though. I have three sets of SS originals.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
1/26/10 5:21 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: I think many of us may be feeling a bit "aged" while reading this thread discussing a vintage race car restoration - on a Miata!

It's true. at 20 years old, Miata restoration has become all the rage. I am in the process of a full body panel off restoration of an 90 early VIN myself.

While you can still "barn" find early Miata's with with less than 30k miles for $5-8k (I recently saw a 92 with 4.5k miles on it and was never prepped by the dealer - still had all the chalk marks on various underhood and chassis parts. was bought for $9k) they are getting harder to find and prices are starting to shoot up for pristine low milage cars. Miata restorations has become a legitimate business model as an alternative.

in 1990 the typical buyer was in their 30's. They sold them a few years later as life got in the way. They are now in their 50's and some approaching 60 and want that car back. I have several people lined up as prospects for my restoration when it is complete.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
1/26/10 10:57 a.m.
actualsize wrote:
16vCorey wrote: I've got a set of old BFG's in (I think) 185-60-14. I was actually just selling the wheels they are on. If you look closely you can see the "T/A R1" in the bottom of the pic. Right about where my foot print is. BTW, the wheels are the same vintage, same bolt pattern, and for sale.
If they are 185/60R14, then I might be able to use them. Don't need the wheels, though. I have three sets of SS originals.

I'm pretty sure they are, but I'll make sure after work today.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/10 2:32 p.m.
RandyS wrote: in 1990 the typical buyer was in their 30's. They sold them a few years later as life got in the way. They are now in their 50's and some approaching 60 and want that car back. I have several people lined up as prospects for my restoration when it is complete.

That doesn't match up with the stats I heard back in the day. I remember the average age being around 50 in the US, and the car was usually a second car. It was lower in Europe and lower yet in Japan. Regardless, there are some people who want to restore them. More that seem to want to "restomod" them and make 'em run a little harder at the same time

I think an article on this car would be the perfect way to start putting Miatas in Classic Motorsports. The car's been on the edge of acceptable for that crowd for some time, and showing the restoration of a significant racer seems a very appropriate introduction. And yes, I know about the one in the current issue, but that's different

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/26/10 8:45 p.m.

I'm getting a lot of "first-win" votes from racers I knew at the time and armchair automobile historians I know away from the boards. As much as I like the Actual Size livery, I'm starting to see their point. Besides, I have another non-historical Miata that I want to build into a Spec Miata, perhaps in parallel. Perhaps I'll use the Actual Size motif on that one and have it carry the torch.

Looks like I'm going to need some Yokohama A008-R tires...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/10 8:49 p.m.

I'd love it if they reintroduced that tire with a modern compound, just for the cool factor.

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/26/10 9:44 p.m.

Here's a photo of where I am now...

The car is fully stripped. The bolt-in cage is unbolted and merely resting there. All of the parts are scattered throughout my garage. The correct numbers-matching engine and trans are in another Miata, my red 1991 driver. Mazda puts VIN plates on those parts.

Who wants to guess the weight of a complete Miata wiring harness, nose to tail?

These 14" Michelin rally tires, leftover from a season of rallycross and the Treeline stage rally, are the last tires the car ran on. The wheels I'll use because they still have the paint pen marking "SSC 6" that my crew put there so we could identify our wheels and tires at the tire tent at the runoffs.

Dan

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/26/10 9:51 p.m.

Very cool (and significant) project .

actualsize wrote: The wheels I'll use because they still have the paint pen marking "SSC 6" that my crew put there so we could identify our wheels and tires at the tire tent at the runoffs.

I love the little details, like that!^^^

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/26/10 10:12 p.m.

I smell a lawsuit potentially on Mini's hands !

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/28/10 12:33 a.m.

A couple of you were on the trail of some Yokohama A008-R tires. Any luck?

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/10 11:56 a.m.
think an article on this car would be the perfect way to start putting Miatas in Classic Motorsports. The car's been on the edge of acceptable for that crowd for some time, and showing the restoration of a significant racer seems a very appropriate introduction. And yes, I know about the one in the current issue, but that's different

I was following a thread on some vintage forum and there was a strong sense of anxiety regarding Miata's upcoming "vintage" status. It was almost as if they were concerned about an influx of people of low moral character (Being defined as people who hadn't suffered through countless hours tuning SU carbs, battling Lucas gremlins or prematurely failing driveline components).

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/31/10 11:33 p.m.

The car is starting to go back together. I've got the tank, fuel lines, wiring harness and dash back in. I've hit my first roadblock, and it's something that every Spec Miata builder tosses into the trash: I need carpet and backing!

Considering all it's been through, the body is remarkably straight underneath.

It's not as hard as you'd think to get the massive U-shaped wire harness fed through the dash and back in place, especially if you have someone to help.

The restoration of this car is so authentic that my original crew chief, Ken Tooker, stopped by to help out.

Pedals, steering column, dash ... this is starting to look like a car again.

I'm stalled on the interior until I can come up with some carpet. In the meantime, I'm de-scaling the cage (it was never what you'd call painted - might have to paint it this time though) and getting ready to re-install it. Cages had to be bolted-in per '91-era showroom stock rules; welded-in cages were not allowed!

P.S.: Anyone find some A008R yokohama tires?

I also need: original spring an shock assemblies, the carpet, rubber brake hoses, a RH door (white), a rear bumper cover (also white), an old-school Yokohama windshield die-cut (I found a pair for the front fenders), blue Mazda die-cuts (I have one, need two more)

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/31/10 11:53 p.m.

Crew Chief Ken managed to dig up the original stencils we used to used to trace and cut-out the "6" and the "SSC" stickers. Crillee Italic Bold, was the font, I think. We always cut numbers out of black shelf paper before each race because we didn't have a permanent car number outside our home regions (San Diego and Cal Club). I was in the habit of doing so because my previous race car, a Civic Si (and a CRX before that) was my daily driver and I peeled the numbers off at the end of each race weekend. This wasn't necessary with the Miata because it was never licensed for street use, but we did it anyway.

Do they even make black shelf paper anymore?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/31/10 11:56 p.m.
actualsize wrote: Crew Chief Ken managed to dig up the original stencils we used to used to trace and cut-out the "6" and the "SSC" stickers. Crillee Italic Bold, was the font, I think. We always cut numbers out of black shelf paper before each race because we didn't have a permanent car number outside our home regions (San Diego and Cal Club). I was in the habit of doing so because my previous race car, a Civic Si (and a CRX before that) was my daily driver and I peeled the numbers off at the end of each race weekend. This wasn't necessary with the Miata because it was never licensed for street use, but we did it anyway. Do they even make black shelf paper anymore?

Like this? We college kids use it as wall paper. http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers/black-contact-paper-105250.aspx

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/31/10 11:57 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
actualsize wrote:
16vCorey wrote: I've got a set of old BFG's in (I think) 185-60-14. I was actually just selling the wheels they are on. If you look closely you can see the "T/A R1" in the bottom of the pic.
If they are 185/60R14, then I might be able to use them. Don't need the wheels, though.
I'm pretty sure they are, but I'll make sure after work today.

Did you have a chance to confirm the size? I may drop the Yokohama/red top idea if I can't find tires. I'd like the option of going either way, anyway.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/10 11:58 p.m.

Just for fun, would it be worth contacting Yokohama?

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
1/31/10 11:58 p.m.
mtn wrote:
actualsize wrote: Crew Chief Ken ... etc. Do they even make black shelf paper anymore?
Like this? We college kids use it as wall paper. http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/37-188-contact-papers/black-contact-paper-105250.aspx

That's the stuff! 75 feet seems excessive! I'm not covering my dorm room and loft this time! Thanks!

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
2/1/10 12:01 a.m.
Keith wrote: Just for fun, would it be worth contacting Yokohama?

Already did. BFG, too. They got nothin'. Legal won't let them keep old stuff around.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/1/10 7:22 a.m.

I've got some stock shocks and springs I think. The shocks are blown though. Email me and I'll root through my pile o' crap in the basement to dig them out.

Edit..email address...phil at teammathermotorsport dot com

mw
mw Reader
2/1/10 8:27 a.m.

I can look into the cost of shipping my A008's to you. What is your zip code?

you can email it to me if you prefer

michaelbrucewolf at hotmail

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YGdia3vsvQFUgtSkaOLpdrbtATV4oHbL5AdfQue8WtPZ9X8fvoHGbMyDBBb4SEsF