David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/18/21 11:29 a.m.
feature_image

Just because Road Atlanta must silence race engines on Sunday mornings doesn’t mean that the on-track action needs to stop. The Atlanta Region SCCA will host three Shush! Sessions for street cars this season: March 21, July 25 and November 7.

These events will follow the format of the SCCA’s Track Night in America program and operate during Road Atlanta’s …

Read the rest of the story

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/18/21 1:22 p.m.

No VQ powered vehicles. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/18/21 1:24 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

No VQ powered vehicles. 

Or rotoraries

Error404
Error404 Reader
2/18/21 5:29 p.m.

So when I get it running my Mustang has a license plate and 1 (count 'em, one) door panel so it's not a racecar. Right? Just don't look under the hood. Or through the hatch glass. Or under the car. Or too closely at the dash. Or be around when it cranks.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/21 5:43 p.m.

I guess we're renaming the PDX's?  They've been doing this for years.

Lots of fun and a really good value.

David S. Wallens
2/23/21 3:07 p.m.

We used to autocross in the Road Atlanta paddock--this was a million years ago, so not sure if they still do. But during quiet hours, even the Stock-class cars had to keep engines off. But once we peeled off our magnetics, all was cool and we could at least drive around the paddock. smiley

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
2/24/21 2:16 p.m.

This sounds like a good way to get acquainted with Road Atlanta, barring unfortunate weather.  Anyone know how strict these events are with car status, i.e., how much of a hotrod you can get away with?  Mine is quiet, but has telltale things like roll cage and Kirkey seats and missing carpet . . .

I tend to get bored pretty quickly with the family car-on-track experience, so being able to bring a fun car would be good.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/24/21 2:46 p.m.

I did a Sunday track day there not long ago.  I was in my Cayman S, which is completely stock except for the exhaust.  I put Porsche's Performance Sport Exhaust on the car, which is actually an OEM option.  In the morning drivers' meeting they reinforced that anyone who was in a car that was modified in any way from stock should not run the quiet time session.  I told the steward my situation, he thought for a minute and said "go ahead out but if you're loud we're going to flag you back in."  I ran the whole session without getting flagged.  However, my n=1 suggests that a car with a stripped interior or race buckets is probably going to get a lot of scrutiny.  You have to remember this happens during an SCCA race day, if they could actually use that time for race cars you can bet they would be doing it.

David S. Wallens
2/25/21 11:50 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I think it's one of those "If it looks like a duck" situations. 

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
2/25/21 1:49 p.m.

So I used the SCCA email (Jack) to ask about the limits of car allowance or the need for waivers during Track Night or Shush Sessions, and the idea sentiment seemed to be that so long as the vehicle is licensed and does not look like a failed try-out for NASCAR amateur mullet day, most things should be okay.  As for the Shush requirement, I mentioned that my car was undoubtedly below 92 DBA at high scream level, and it seemed that I would be fine.  Most modern Mustangs/GT350s where I live tend to be well over 100-105 DBA rolling through the Kroger parking lot . . .

At the last track day I attended, I literally could not even hear my car (turbos are excellent mufflers).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s5ht1s2JKcUpT7CeCHrqMJVfnOaTUQIzpRS5Eyav0Fu9Fl7xJyuInoLTXCCYtKet