1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/17/18 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Six in a row is the way to go. Chevy’s six was it’s main engine from the 20’s through the 60’s and even into the 70’s so for historic reasons it has acceptance 

Then there is the whole reliability thing.  All the million mile engines Cat 3406 and Cummins big cam are in line sixes as well as many European workhorses.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/17/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

And the engine bay room that an inline engine historically gives you. 

einy
einy HalfDork
1/17/18 11:16 a.m.

Read this morning that the I-6 D-MAX is going to be built in a GM facility in Flint, MI.  So, I'm wondering if this one is a "D-MAX" in name only, and not another GM / Isuzu joint venture design ??  Then again, the V8 D-MAX is being built in a retire GM Truck / Bus factory in Moraine, OH ....

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/17/18 11:19 a.m.
einy said:

Read this morning that the I-6 D-MAX is going to be built in a GM facility in Flint, MI.  So, I'm wondering if this one is a "D-MAX" in name only, and not another GM / Isuzu joint venture design ??  Then again, the V8 D-MAX is being built in a retire GM Truck / Bus factory in Moraine, OH ....

Per TTAC/AutoNews, "the engine’s development took place at the General Motors diesel center of excellence in Turin."

Link:  http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/01/gms-3-0-liter-inline-six-diesel-bound-flint-factory/

Happy to hear for Flint!  They need all the good news they can get.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/17/18 11:23 a.m.

All I can say is I believe it’s a too little too late for me personally. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/17/18 11:31 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

All I can say is I believe it’s a too little too late for me personally. 

For Flint?  

...or for GM trucks in general?  

Because timing wise they seem to be in a dead heat race with Ford to get their latest diesel engine to market in the 1/2 ton trucks.  

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/17/18 11:38 a.m.

Hello, first ever post...... 

Welcome!! 

three seat split bench in front.

This has never applied to me in the truck sense, but ironically the main reason i only ever owned one 1g Intrepid (which i think are cool for many reasons that noone in here would care about) was because i got spoiled on the bucket-delete that mine had, and i never found another one. Mine was an ex-rental. I didn't need the seating but i preferred the design of the bench vs bucket/console by a large margin. 

The one time the split bench caused me headaches was when i created the world's only manual-trans Dodge Dynasty and had to deal with some minor shifter to bench issues. cheeky 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/17/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to D2W :

Agreed, the FJ and the 911 are our forever cars. Everything else is negotiable. 

As to the inline 6. I wonder how tall it is? a 3.0 six would also be a 2.0 four which would be a nice size diesel for a lot of their smaller SUV's. Of course they already have the 2.8 in the Colorado so who knows what's going on. It'll be interesting. 

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
1/17/18 3:39 p.m.

I just like the fact it's an inline 6 turbo diesel not wrapped in a Dodge. I'd like to scoop one up for the right price to have my fleet of 3 be all inline 6 and include a modern vehicle.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/17/18 8:12 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

A diesel needs to be tall to give the diesel time to burn.  That means the bore size will be relatively small 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/17/18 9:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:

A diesel needs to be tall to give the diesel time to burn.  That means the bore size will be relatively small 

So............. the V6 in the Ram is not quite the optimal package for all things considered???? Cuz i would dearly love to slam a LB7 with a ZF six spd in my  '91 1/2ton ext cab silverado ..... wink

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/18/18 6:25 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

A V6 in order to be “in balance”. ( by that I mean firing order balance) needs to be a 60 degree V      Not a 90 degree.  Even still it will have a second order harmonic called a rocking couple shake.  

Same with a in line six but because of it’s length is barely discernible. 

The only really balanced engines are either 60 degree V12’s  or 90 degree V16’s 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/18/18 6:34 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Right, but I distinctly remember driving around a horrible green VW with a four cylinder diesel and the hood on that was lower than the tops of the tires on a new truck. I was mostly wondering if this was going to be part of a new family of modular engines, or if manufacturers are moving away from that.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/18/18 3:45 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I loaded a 4600 pound car on a u haul trailer and drove it from San Diego to Minneapolis. Oh and I had a little over 2000 pounds of car parts in the truck bed too!    

Speed limits out west are pretty fast, 75-80 posted and a lot of trucks going well over that.  Whistled right down the highway in that short box regular cab 1/2 ton.  Ride was nice, it did take me 38 hours loaded as compared to 33&1/2  going out there empty.  Most of that difference was due to a accident that closed the road in New Mexico for 5 hours. 

So new 1/2 ton pickups will do what the old 3/4 ton and even 1 tons would do.  

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/18/18 3:50 p.m.

Family of engines?  Do you mean like a V8, V6 4 cylinder that maybe share a combustion chamber shape and a few other parts?  

I doubt it.  While I suspect there will be variants even Fords eco-boost do not  share a lot of parts

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
1/18/18 3:52 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You were significantly over-loaded with that much in the bed while towing.  Most modern half-tons are good for somewhere around 1800 - 2000 lbs in the bed with only a few that will take more.  Add a few hundred pounds of trailer tongue weight and you're going to be over either the payload limit, rear axle limit, GVWR or more than one of those.  

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/19/18 6:36 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

I wasn’t 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/19/18 7:20 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That sort of thing, yes. Mercedes was saying that a significant part of the reason they're moving to I6's from V6's is that they can more easily share engineering and production facilities with their I4 engines. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/18 4:39 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

A V6 in order to be “in balance”. ( by that I mean firing order balance) needs to be a 60 degree V      Not a 90 degree.  Even still it will have a second order harmonic called a rocking couple shake. 

Technically, a V6 needs to be 120 degree to be in firing order balance.

90 degree V6s work just fine with split crankpins.  60 degree V6 cranks look nightmarishly bad, they aren't split pin so much as they look like old 4-main inline six cranks twisted around a lot and compressed to V6 length.

...Huh.  Google Image Search for "V6 crankshaft" gets me a page off of our company's website for one of the forged cranks we sell.   Which is a split pin for a 90 degree, not a double journal type (does it have a better name?) for the 60 degree, which looks kinda like this:

Note that there are two separate journals and a counterweight between each main...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/18 5:30 p.m.

The terms 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton have lost a lot of there meaning over the years. Yes, they do identify the model, but the ratings are no longer accurate to the name.  While "1/2" tons are doing thing 3/4's of yesteryear could only dream of, 1 tons of today are doing the work of true medium duties of the past!

I like the idea of a small diesel in a 1/2 ton. More choices are always a good thing.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/20/18 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Can you see that crankshaft coming out of a million mile engine?   Longevity is created by simplistic solutions in complete harmony with fundamental laws of nature.  

I see an engineering compromise designed by cost accountants and marketing people. 

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/20/18 9:17 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

The terms 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton have lost a lot of there meaning over the years. Yes, they do identify the model, but the ratings are no longer accurate to the name.  While "1/2" tons are doing thing 3/4's of yesteryear could only dream of, 1 tons of today are doing the work of true medium duties of the past!

I like the idea of a small diesel in a 1/2 ton. More choices are always a good thing.

Not only engines but suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires of today’s pickups are more and more in tune with medium duty trucks of the past. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/20/18 9:37 p.m.

Truck designations are just the class they are in. Class 1 = 1/2 ton, Class 2 = 3/4, Class 3 = 1 ton, etc, up to Class 8 big rigs. 

I am interested in seeing the new Silverado Diesel. Somewhat considering one of the diesel pickups as a daily, that would let me get rid of two vehicles for one. Maybe someday.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o7blPz0q08xfZgg4YzxEV6MMsK8ggtBwc0UBOGcDLxIiZMq1GaInL5LERo6NKAYO