Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/17/19 9:40 a.m.

Paid Article Presented by SimXperience

Nobody pictures a 10-year-old kid on his PlayStation when they talk sim racing, instead picturing the huge simulators that professional athletes put in their man caves. The reality is that sim racing represents a broad spectrum of hardware and software, and a simulator of your own might be more attainable than you’d think. To learn …

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 Reader
5/17/19 11:21 p.m.

I've joked about buying a setup like this before, but that's a LOT of money. I could be racing my real cars for probably close to a decade or so for the same ~$25k.

However, I live in Wyoming. The one and only month I haven't seen snow here is August... so far. Our summer is short, our nearest tracks are all out of state, and the roads in general are, "alright" you might say. Sim rig that costs a fortune, but replicates 98% of the experience, that you can use year round? Doesn't sound so bad when you look at it that way.

Schmitzna
Schmitzna
5/18/19 12:04 p.m.

I time trialed a C6 Corvette for ten years.  When I gave it up and sold everything, just the proceeds from the wheels, tires, trailer and stuff was more than enough to fund a nice triple-screen sim rig with GS-5 Seat, AccuForce Wheel, ButtKickers for chassis feedback, and hydraulic pedals.  Sim Racing is much less expensive than campaigning the Corvette.  It is so affordable that I wish I built the sim rig while I was racing just so I wasn't wasting track time learning the circuit.  And all the telemetry just isn't for SimVibe -- you can use the Motec data analysis tools for iRacing and Assetto Corsa and look at way more variables than I could with the Aim Solo with OBD connection.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
5/20/19 8:21 a.m.

These seem like a no brainer for people who campaign a series. The experience and practice could pay for itself in a season easily. And its a buy once cry once situation. You can buy a turn key race car but tires, brakes, fuel, etc will cost more than a decent sim rig.

Just doing HPDE I still really want one just to get my fix in between track weekends. If I ever reach a point that I cant hit the track for some reason, I'm definitely investing in one of these. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2U1ue54M4xfM7iaZDh1wlQui3g8fsL5CikVQSNleuiQr0nQo4UGCXGnrznoq3NC9