1 2
ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/4/13 2:23 p.m.

I saw this one ( I think) in a Factory Five ad in the last issue.

and it really started me dreaming about the FFR Hot Rods again. has anyone driven one of these in anger? Does it have the same funky pedal position some of the Cobra replicas have? Could it be a good street legal toy / track terror?

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/4/13 5:02 p.m.

How it started...

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/4/13 6:39 p.m.

This is the one I want...

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
4/4/13 6:40 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I saw this one ( I think) in a Factory Five ad in the last issue. and it really started me dreaming about the FFR Hot Rods again. has anyone driven one of these in anger? Does it have the same funky pedal position some of the Cobra replicas have? Could it be a good street legal toy / track terror?

This thing looks AWESOME! I would love to power that thing around and be more obnoxious than those blasted harley riders!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/5/13 7:15 a.m.
RandyS wrote: How it started...

Looks like this?

http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee

slopecarver
slopecarver Reader
4/5/13 7:49 a.m.

your questions answered here: youtube

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
4/5/13 7:53 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
RandyS wrote: How it started...
Looks like this? http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee

That's funny it Looks like a car from grand theft auto that was also called a banshee.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/5/13 8:45 a.m.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/5/13 8:48 a.m.
Looks like this?

It is. The front clip came from www.Simpsondesign.net.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/5/13 8:49 a.m.

I really wish I could find an S13 kit. Mines got a bad frame, but I guess I'll have to buy one off a kid after he gets caught drifting.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/5/13 8:51 a.m.
RandyS wrote:

From hitting a curb. Notice the wall appears to be untouched. There's some serious reinforcement needed in the passenger area.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/5/13 8:54 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
RandyS wrote:
From hitting a curb. Notice the wall appears to be untouched. There's some serious reinforcement needed in the passenger area.

Ouch, what was the outcome? I hope better than I assume. I've never really liked the Atom with the pre failed bent tubes, I've always thought it looks like form desperately trying to pass itself off as function.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
4/5/13 8:55 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: This is the one I want...

Details man details! I’ve always thought a Scooby engine beach buggy would rock. More pics and details quick.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
4/5/13 8:59 a.m.

Bah! 1600 lbs + 400 hp of mid-engine goodness. Just have to see how it handles...

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/5/13 9:25 a.m.
kb58 wrote: Bah! 1600 lbs + 400 hp of mid-engine goodness. Just have to see how it handles...

Out of all, your scratch built is my favorite, now start making kits!

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
4/5/13 9:28 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
RandyS wrote:
Ouch, what was the outcome? I hope better than I assume. I've never really liked the Atom with the pre failed bent tubes, I've always thought it looks like form desperately trying to pass itself off as function.

what I remember is it happened in the UK and the guy lived with both legs broken.

RossD
RossD UberDork
4/5/13 9:28 a.m.

Simpson Design has some really good looking rebody kits for the Miata. I'd be afraid to ask how much since they don't have any pricing on their website.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/5/13 9:45 a.m.
RossD wrote: Simpson Design has some really good looking rebody kits for the Miata. I'd be afraid to ask how much since they don't have any pricing on their website.

I belive the bare bones kits start at about $6k and go to $18k for a turn key? I suspect the pricing is not there as it is highly configurable (M1, M2, convt, coupe, flip front, tailight treatment, yyy). Just call and ask.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/5/13 9:55 a.m.

http://priceofhistoys.com/2009/01/19/the-shark-machette-speedster/

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/5/13 10:01 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Ouch, what was the outcome? I hope better than I assume. I've never really liked the Atom with the pre failed bent tubes, I've always thought it looks like form desperately trying to pass itself off as function.

Some broken arms & legs, or so I was told.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
4/5/13 10:07 a.m.

This one started with a Miata, I think... or at least some Miata parts.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/13 10:13 a.m.

It's good to see a crunched kit car occasionally to remind us that these vehicles do not have the benefit of modern safety engineering. Buyer beware. RE the curved frame, one benefit of traditional Locost design is that the transmission tunnel can help protect the passenger compartment. Atomesques don't have that to help.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/5/13 10:20 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: This one started with a Miata, I think... or at least some Miata parts.

Wonder where the inspiration came from...

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/5/13 10:26 a.m.
kreb wrote: It's good to see a crunched kit car occasionally to remind us that these vehicles do not have the benefit of modern safety engineering. Buyer beware. RE the curved frame, one benefit of traditional Locost design is that the transmission tunnel can help protect the passenger compartment. Atomesques don't have that to help.

Which is one reason I chose a rebody instead of a full kit. I still take advantange of the engineering provided by Mazda

RandyS
RandyS Reader
4/5/13 10:29 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: This one started with a Miata, I think... or at least some Miata parts.

"The windshield, doors, and roof are based off an early nineties Miata"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pfgcNUyLJ8cEwI9TjdKi5dPrMBZ4AGMcL8E8Q11im7wWwDhZQK8BFBi3aJ4Cz24D