DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
1/3/12 8:23 p.m.

Or considering this is a LSx swapped Toyota, it may be into out-of-body experience.

Link

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
1/3/12 8:28 p.m.

Did they really have to bash the Cressida so much? They were pretty cool cars, in a grandfatherly sort of way.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
1/3/12 8:46 p.m.

What I like about it is that it's pretty much invisible. Everyone's looking around for the Camaro, and there's a Cressida sitting there.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
1/3/12 8:55 p.m.

I don't think they bashed it enough. Some cars have aged well. I wouldn't put the Cressida on that list.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/3/12 8:55 p.m.

Too noisy. That thing needs an army of mufflers. True sleeper status when it calmly walks away from sports cars without any racket.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/3/12 8:56 p.m.

Needs moar 2jz.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
1/4/12 12:06 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Needs moar 2jz.

Needs moar bosozoku.

Never thought I'd see the day I considered LS swaps played out*, but here we are.

I'd rather have this engine in a cressida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wllnOktS4 I don't even care that the LS would be faster. E: Seriously, something like this with a 1UZ and I'd drive it every day.

*Not true.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/4/12 8:45 a.m.

Greatest sleeper of all time? No. I'd say this one's closer to those honors.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/10/23/car-spotlight-gt-gt-1160hp-super-sleeper-nova.aspx

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/4/12 8:49 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote: I don't think they bashed it enough. Some cars have aged well. I wouldn't put the Cressida on that list.

Truth.

I have spent far too much time in cressidas to appreciate them. It is one of those familiarity breeds contempt things.....contempt for vast quantities of velour among other things.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/4/12 9:11 a.m.
Grizz wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Needs moar 2jz.
Needs moar bosozoku. Never thought I'd see the day I considered LS swaps played out*, but here we are. I'd rather have this engine in a cressida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wllnOktS4 I don't even care that the LS would be faster. E: Seriously, something like this with a 1UZ and I'd drive it every day. *Not true.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT

Duke
Duke SuperDork
1/4/12 10:20 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Greatest sleeper of all time? No. I'd say this one's closer to those honors. http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/10/23/car-spotlight-gt-gt-1160hp-super-sleeper-nova.aspx

I knew a guy with a beat-looking 4-door '69 or '70 Cutlass that looked about like that, peeling vinyl top and all. He wasn't making over 1000 hp, though - just a well-built 455 under the hood making plenty of good old natural power.

The lumpy cam made it idle like it was only hitting on 7, and he had rigged a foot pump from an old Opel windshield washer to squirt oil into the muffler on one side of the duals so it smoked a bit on command. Looked like the wrath of Bob until he launched it, but then it went like stink.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/4/12 11:09 a.m.

Wha??? Auto? Do not want

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/4/12 11:24 a.m.

I LOVE THIS. If you don't like this, I'm thinking you simply don't like cars.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
1/4/12 11:50 a.m.

40 years ago there used to be street racing on Carling Avenue in Ottawa. They raced light to light for money,or pink slips. One guy showed up one Saturday night in a pretty beat looking Studebaker Lark, powered by a built up 427 Chevy BB. THAT was a sleeper.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/4/12 12:26 p.m.

while i LOVE that nova, anybody who didn't see that one coming isn't a car guy in the first place.

when i think of a real honest Q-Ship it can't just be old or beatup or both. it's gotta be like an '85 Celebrity or something. a car your brain doesn't want to believe even could be fast.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/4/12 12:53 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: while i LOVE that nova, anybody who didn't see that one coming isn't a car guy in the first place. when i think of a real honest Q-Ship it can't just be old or beatup or both. it's gotta be like an '85 Celebrity or something. a car your brain doesn't want to believe even could be fast.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/4/12 12:53 p.m.

This isn't a bad sleeper

And I like the cressida regardless of what is overpowering it. If you want a coupe with similar proportions I just saw one of these guys pop up locally.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/4/12 12:55 p.m.

precisely.

now add a late(r) model L67 drivetrain with all your favorite mods, and run the quarter 5 or 6 seconds faster than anyone at the starting line expected.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/4/12 12:59 p.m.

nitroninja!

RossD
RossD SuperDork
1/4/12 1:02 p.m.

A Mazda 929 would be a good sleeper. Same with a Infiniti J20 or M30

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/4/12 2:31 p.m.
RossD wrote: A Mazda 929 would be a good sleeper. Same with a Infiniti J20 or M30

929 wouldn't take much..... MPV manual trans swap, a snail or two, let the hilarity begin!

Bonus points for a DOHC JE-ZE powered variant.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/4/12 2:32 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: And I like the cressida regardless of what is overpowering it. If you want a coupe with similar proportions I just saw one of these guys pop up locally.

What is this? Looks like an M30, but stretched... or is that just the picture?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/5/12 12:54 p.m.

Just a standard M30 as far as I know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
coB3osEjBuOPsyR6L0M3s8sCU2Z32hQHJmvkNkc5ldetTAMr6WFiw9oSrNuYamr5