Jan. 3, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Or considering this is a LSx swapped Toyota, it may be into out-of-body experience.

Link

1988RedT2 SuperDork
Jan. 3, 2012 8:28 p.m.

Did they really have to bash the Cressida so much? They were pretty cool cars, in a grandfatherly sort of way.

Jan. 3, 2012 8:46 p.m.

What I like about it is that it's pretty much invisible. Everyone's looking around for the Camaro, and there's a Cressida sitting there.

Zomby woof SuperDork
Jan. 3, 2012 8:55 p.m.

I don't think they bashed it enough. Some cars have aged well. I wouldn't put the Cressida on that list.

MrJoshua SuperDork
Jan. 3, 2012 8:55 p.m.

Too noisy. That thing needs an army of mufflers. True sleeper status when it calmly walks away from sports cars without any racket.

92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
Jan. 3, 2012 8:56 p.m.

Needs moar 2jz.

Grizz HalfDork
Jan. 4, 2012 12:06 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Needs moar 2jz.

Needs moar bosozoku.

Never thought I'd see the day I considered LS swaps played out*, but here we are.

I'd rather have this engine in a cressida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wllnOktS4 I don't even care that the LS would be faster. E: Seriously, something like this with a 1UZ and I'd drive it every day.

*Not true.

unevolved Dork
Jan. 4, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Greatest sleeper of all time? No. I'd say this one's closer to those honors.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/10/23/car-spotlight-gt-gt-1160hp-super-sleeper-nova.aspx

Jan. 4, 2012 8:49 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote: I don't think they bashed it enough. Some cars have aged well. I wouldn't put the Cressida on that list.

Truth.

I have spent far too much time in cressidas to appreciate them. It is one of those familiarity breeds contempt things.....contempt for vast quantities of velour among other things.

Jan. 4, 2012 9:11 a.m.
Grizz wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Needs moar 2jz.

Needs moar bosozoku.

Never thought I'd see the day I considered LS swaps played out*, but here we are.

I'd rather have this engine in a cressida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wllnOktS4 I don't even care that the LS would be faster. E: Seriously, something like this with a 1UZ and I'd drive it every day.

*Not true.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTT

Duke SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 10:20 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Greatest sleeper of all time? No. I'd say this one's closer to those honors. http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/10/23/car-spotlight-gt-gt-1160hp-super-sleeper-nova.aspx

I knew a guy with a beat-looking 4-door '69 or '70 Cutlass that looked about like that, peeling vinyl top and all. He wasn't making over 1000 hp, though - just a well-built 455 under the hood making plenty of good old natural power.

The lumpy cam made it idle like it was only hitting on 7, and he had rigged a foot pump from an old Opel windshield washer to squirt oil into the muffler on one side of the duals so it smoked a bit on command. Looked like the wrath of Bob until he launched it, but then it went like stink.

4cylndrfury SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Wha??? Auto? Do not want

gamby SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 11:24 a.m.

I LOVE THIS. If you don't like this, I'm thinking you simply don't like cars.

DeadSkunk Dork
Jan. 4, 2012 11:50 a.m.

40 years ago there used to be street racing on Carling Avenue in Ottawa. They raced light to light for money,or pink slips. One guy showed up one Saturday night in a pretty beat looking Studebaker Lark, powered by a built up 427 Chevy BB. THAT was a sleeper.

belteshazzar SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 12:26 p.m.

while i LOVE that nova, anybody who didn't see that one coming isn't a car guy in the first place.

when i think of a real honest Q-Ship it can't just be old or beatup or both. it's gotta be like an '85 Celebrity or something. a car your brain doesn't want to believe even could be fast.

Jan. 4, 2012 12:53 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: while i LOVE that nova, anybody who didn't see that one coming isn't a car guy in the first place. when i think of a real honest Q-Ship it can't just be old or beatup or both. it's gotta be like an '85 Celebrity or something. a car your brain doesn't want to believe even could be fast.

Nitroracer SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 12:53 p.m.

This isn't a bad sleeper

And I like the cressida regardless of what is overpowering it. If you want a coupe with similar proportions I just saw one of these guys pop up locally.

belteshazzar SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 12:55 p.m.

precisely.

now add a late(r) model L67 drivetrain with all your favorite mods, and run the quarter 5 or 6 seconds faster than anyone at the starting line expected.

belteshazzar SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 12:59 p.m.

nitroninja!

RossD SuperDork
Jan. 4, 2012 1:02 p.m.

A Mazda 929 would be a good sleeper. Same with a Infiniti J20 or M30

Jan. 4, 2012 2:31 p.m.
RossD wrote: A Mazda 929 would be a good sleeper. Same with a Infiniti J20 or M30

929 wouldn't take much..... MPV manual trans swap, a snail or two, let the hilarity begin!

Bonus points for a DOHC JE-ZE powered variant.

Jan. 4, 2012 2:32 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: And I like the cressida regardless of what is overpowering it. If you want a coupe with similar proportions I just saw one of these guys pop up locally.

What is this? Looks like an M30, but stretched... or is that just the picture?

Nitroracer SuperDork
Jan. 5, 2012 12:54 p.m.

Just a standard M30 as far as I know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

21 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

21 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

1 day ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

2 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

3 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

3 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
2aEsDylQr4JMDn0YVbnGDjNuZQeBB1nX