1 2 3 ... 30
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/18 10:51 a.m.

Yup, that's right... I've managed to convince our illustrious forum members Bobzilla (I'm not going to type out the whole new name), and John Welsh (member formerly known as JRW something or other) to join me on OneLap this year.

Perhaps you saw my noodling thread, over here
that thing is four months old, and I still don't have a car purchased for OneLap... yet.  I mean, there's the TL... which I currently considered backup.

But hey, despite the whole family being sick this week (one sinus infection, two pink eyes, and probably three colds)... I managed to do the first thing to get ready for OneLap this year:

that's right, I wrenched on my bike.  Taking off a completely functional rear brake caliper... and a bunch of grip tape that was on it's way out.  10oz, and one annoying cable saved.  Now I'm thinking about if I'm going to yank the front derailleur... although I should probably get a new single gear front crank set and different shifter and brake lever if I'm going to do that.  More likely is that the hacksaw is going to come out... muwahaha.  Bike purists might best turn away.

In other news, the 2012 MINI Clubman from 2016's adventure is on the battery charger.  Hopefully tomorrow it gets state inspected, then it needs a bit of fluid changes... and then it'll be someone else's toy.  Also, I got a new battery for the TL.  It too needs a state inspection.  Once the MINI's out, the car search begins in earnest.  Purchase deadline is Presidents Day.

So, if you see a 150kmi 2006-2010 V6 Sonata or Azera that's sub-$3500... let me know.

Also, I might be interested in finding NOS bottles to rent/borrow for the week.  And recommendations on the best/cheapest 50-shot kit to get (and I'll probably need some pointers on proper installation).

This might be an inauspicious start... but I need the motivation to "get a move one"... Tech Day is less than 100 days away.

Late first Post Edit:
Things get interesting with the Sonata's first Track Outing / Trouble On Page 19 Here
(this includes discussion of decision to go to the Backup Acura TL)

I'll add a link to the "Beginning of OneLap Event Coverage" Here

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
1/26/18 11:36 a.m.

Sweet! I’ll be at NCM to spectate and I’ll make sure to say hi. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/26/18 12:17 p.m.

Sorry only Hondas can paddock by us. You'll have to drive on down to the Korean car "section". cheeky

Looking forward to shenanigans. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/18 12:23 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I figured you'd be happy to have another "H" car around to help beatup on the 2018 4cyl (I'm assuming) Camry Econo class entry that recently showed up?

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/26/18 12:57 p.m.

You know why the Hyundai H is slanted? Because they're going faster than the upright Honda H. :P

I'm not going to lie, I am so excited I can barely sleep the last couple weeks. No lie. Only way to make this better would be if it was my Korean pile of junk we were running. Sadly I sold the only one that wouldn't have sucked. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
1/26/18 1:06 p.m.

well, maybe our mileage estimate is low? 250k miles on a rebuilt title 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/26/18 1:17 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/26/18 1:19 p.m.

A car I bought recently has a big, old NOs bottle already in it. The cars not ready for OLoA but the bottle could go. 

It also seems that this is not a complete system. 

I could bring the bottle at Easter or ship it earlier. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 1:30 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If this isn't your car, I don't know what is.

Too slow. The 2.0L Beta in that chassis is pretty much meh at best. Great engine, and a wonderful daily driver but crap for track work. 

This is better

If you wanted an Elantra, you'd need one of  these but even then it's a 2700lb, 140hp (110-115whp) car. There was a gentleman who went nuts many moons ago. Pulled complete interior, AC/Heater box, windo regulators, lightweight wheels/exhaust, intake, 6lb Braille and could only get the car down to 2300lbs with a kirkey. Best power out of it was 132whp N/A (125tq on a wide curve). IT's a dependable engine and chassis, just not fast. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/26/18 1:35 p.m.

Auto boxes aren't an issue on this group of cars? 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 1:36 p.m.

Onthe 5-spd big cars not so much. On the 4-spd small cars yes very much. 

sleepyhead
1/26/18 1:46 p.m.

I wonder how bad the rust is under that Chicago car?  Too far away for me to go look at it.

I think I want to stay away from salvage/rebuilt cars... not sure how my insurance is going to handle one of those... although I'll be sticking it on Liability only... so might not be an issue.  I did a bunch of looking at CO hail damaged cars on Copart/IAAI back in the fall, so you're half-right Seth.  I might need to go digging into those again.

re:Bottle
no need to ship it, Easter delivery will be fine.  I'll try to come up with the installation kit before then.  I need to sit down and calculate up some numbers.  My plan is a conservative 50shot, and to use it in the afternoon 3-lap session, and probably the Low ET drags.  Even so, that could be a whole lot NOS... and I doubt we'll have much opportunity to refill a bottle during the trip.

sleepyhead
1/26/18 2:00 p.m.

you're a pro at Head Gaskets, right Seth?  I'm pretty sure those wheels are worth at least $150 of recoup?

mazdeuce - Seth
1/26/18 2:26 p.m.

Just pack a spare head gasket in the tools bin an  I'm sure we can fix it. Maybe bring two?

Heads up though, no back seats in the Civic, so bring your A game to the start in SB.laugh 

sleepyhead
1/26/18 2:35 p.m.

if the primary car gives up the ghost, I'll be hitching a ride and dropping the CC on the first car that will mount up a set of 17x8 sized 5x114 wheels, and we'll roll on in exhibition.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 2:45 p.m.

Ready for a 3.8 swap....

Also look for the 07-10 Kia Amanti. Same car(ish) as the Azera. Kia premium cars lose value faster than a $2 hooker on half price night. 

sleepyhead
1/26/18 3:11 p.m.

re:Amanti
maybe, but they seemed to have sold a whole bunch more Azera's (at least based on CL listings).

also, man did they really try to make the engine look like it was mounted north/south in the Amanti...

mazdeuce - Seth
1/26/18 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

Your life experience humbles me.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 3:14 p.m.

WHY? I''ve done nothing special. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/26/18 3:16 p.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

You speak about hooker depreciation like a man who has seen things......

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 3:24 p.m.

I just thought everyone knew that. surprise

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 3:26 p.m.

So question for you OL old timers.... if we pull this off with a Hyundai, will that be the first for One Lap? Is there a comprehensive list of previous entrants and vehicles?

mazdeuce - Seth
1/26/18 3:35 p.m.
sleepyhead
1/26/18 3:38 p.m.

this will be the first hyundai/kia car ever entered, based on my past searchessearches, and general searches... I'd say "korean" car... but, then Brock might drop in here and name some obscure car that I'm not familiar with, or didn't know to even search for.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/26/18 4:14 p.m.

Damn..... won't be the first Korean car. That was 2003 with a 1990 Ford Festiva. How about first "overtly Korean car"? Still no Hyundai, Kia or Daewoos. 

1 2 3 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HMz5klaVfyvah4VReKWqq4cCPcn2fY0ppEqpke8S41f0Rcz10vJBfMZx5Q9EKDOp