1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 30
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/18 12:35 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

IIRC, that lower portion was part of the actual fender liner. The whole liner is about $40 locally.

EDIT: I have a friend checking it out for me from my former employer.

EDIT 2: I can pick it up in the morning and we can install it Thursday.

The brake duct part is... although it looks like it's two parts... which works out for me... the upper part is the "important part", and I've got lots of plywood laying around wanting to be used laugh

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/27/18 1:15 p.m.

you love your woodworking!

sleepyhead
4/27/18 1:39 p.m.

plywood... the original composite

sleepyhead
4/27/18 2:43 p.m.

it's probably best to call this a "teaser pic"... don't think I'm going to get a one until it's on the ground & outside

sleepyhead
4/27/18 2:46 p.m.

btw, what's the recommended method for the spacers?

a) pull the wheels off each time you'd torque them, torque the spacers, then put on the wheels and torque them

I'm guessing that threadlock isn't recommended for the spacer lugs?  or is it ok, as long as you torque them by hand?

edit: this kind specifically

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/28/18 4:07 a.m.

I use 2” spacers on the truck with the current wheels. I torqued thenm down installed wheels. About 50 miles I pulled wheels and rechecked. If none were different I only recheck the wheels after. Theoretically once those are torqued down they should be good until removed. Theoretically. 

sleepyhead
4/28/18 5:12 p.m.

IIRC, that lower portion was part of the actual fender liner. The whole liner is about $40 locally.

EDIT: I have a friend checking it out for me from my former employer.

EDIT 2: I can pick it up in the morning and we can install it Thursday.

So, just out of curiosity...

What are black leather rear TL seats worthy of cutting down to a single rear passenger side seat going for?

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
4/28/18 5:55 p.m.

Pffffft.....

I still see three seat belts, three speakers,  and you still have CARPET,  in the TRUNK?

But I can see keeping the baby seat anchors for tiedowns.

sleepyhead
4/28/18 6:39 p.m.
hhaase said:

Pffffft.....

I still see three seat belts, three speakers,  and you still have CARPET,  in the TRUNK?

But I can see keeping the baby seat anchors for tiedowns.

I do have carpet in the trunk.. but it's only on the sides

speakers are now out.  I'm thinking about yanking the center seatbelt reel... but that would me cutting it from the anchor... which is a line to cross.  we'll see.

trim is probably going to go back in, though... by the time we leave Bob's house, anyways.  although, I might make some strategic cuts so I can access the shocks in the future without disassembly.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/29/18 6:10 a.m.

What are your thoughts on unbolting that heavy dual muffler assembly and putting in a single 2.5” with muffler to one side? My friend coming down for the ac is a pretty decent welder and it wouldn’t take much to put on an axle back maybe? Ideal would be to find another flange but yours could be cut and welded so stock could go back on. 

Just a thought. 

sleepyhead
4/29/18 6:33 a.m.

What are your thoughts on unbolting that heavy dual muffler assembly and putting in a single 2.5” with muffler to one side? My friend coming down for the ac is a pretty decent welder and it wouldn’t take much to put on an axle back maybe? Ideal would be to find another flange but yours could be cut and welded so stock could go back on. 

Just a thought. 

I'm aware that it's a thing, that saves a bunch of weight... and mazdeuce was complaining that the TL was too quiet last year.

edit: I'd still like to keep the interior under 77dB if possible (my 82dB miata was not a fun place to be for OneLap in 2011)

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/29/18 7:27 a.m.

I don't know that I was complaining, but a quiet car that you're not familiar with can be more difficult to drive. I have to drive the Accord by feel more than by noise as I can't hear the engine with a helmet on in most cases. Even worse is when I'm on track near other cars I can hear them and not my car. That shouldn't be an issue for One Lap as you're pretty much all alone out there. The flip side is that having driven a loud car last year, the single best addition we made for this year was a slip in silencer for transits. Noise fatigue is real. 

sleepyhead
4/29/18 7:35 a.m.

one of life's little joys is going into a Dunkin'Donuts and asking for 9 donuts, and watching the staff's brains melt

sleepyhead
4/29/18 2:18 p.m.

Well, thanks to the awesome help of bluej and irish44... the TL now has long rear studs and cool orange shocks on all four corners!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/29/18 3:36 p.m.

Kick Ass! 

Super thanks to Bluej and Irish!! 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
4/30/18 8:12 a.m.

I would also agree that loud exhausts are not fun for that amount of miles, small annoyances on an hour trip become large annoyances on a 3500 mile trip.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/30/18 1:04 p.m.

Also, I should probably go on record here: I think the TL is the better of the two cars for what we're trying to do here. LSD, manual trans and honda modability make it a no-brainer. With that said I am sad that we couldn't break the mold a little with a Korean car. I would have loved to see this Sonata with some 17x9's and 255/40's with rolled fenders and coilovers. Maybe some day I'll do it.... or with a Kia or something else odd and unknown. Hell, my old Forte would have been perfect. Light, big tires, OK power and dead reliable. Why did I sell it again?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/30/18 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Bob the REAL oil guy. :

If you get all the way around to South Bend and aren't building a 2019 car in your head I'll be shocked. One Lap has a very high rate of repeat offenders. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/30/18 1:19 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Kick Ass! 

Super thanks to Bluej and Irish!! 

+1. times like this make you appreciate the help this place provides!

sleepyhead
4/30/18 1:26 p.m.

Yes, big time!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/30/18 1:38 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If you get all the way around to South Bend and aren't building a 2019 car in your head I'll be shocked. One Lap has a very high rate of repeat offenders. 

Luckily, I won't be able to for 2019. 2 weeks of vaca for Hong Kong kills that idea. I've already had bad thoughts and cars.com searches and I haven't even started yet. 

sleepyhead
4/30/18 2:35 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Luckily, I won't be able to for 2019. 2 weeks of vaca for Hong Kong kills that idea. I've already had bad thoughts and cars.com searches and I haven't even started yet. 

I dunno, the C10 would probably be a hoot at OneLap... would probably get a bunch of pics taken of it too

Bob the REAL oil guy.
4/30/18 2:40 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I dunno, the C10 would probably be a hoot at OneLap... would probably get a bunch of pics taken of it too

Let's just say it's in the long term plan wink She needs a LOT of work first though. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/18 2:50 p.m.

glad to help out :) I've been there when you're crunching, and know how stressful it can be.

always nice to meet local fellow GRM'ers, too!

sleepyhead
4/30/18 3:22 p.m.

So, I'm, how do we feel about 3/4" of tire poke?

(I'll note, that the rears are actually tucked *in* about 3/4")

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xVoSHCgb0PVGAG7UZJ4egeD0Zv53kBzIGOJPBpDYp934pMlzhxF5HSJuc1DaPp7A