sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/18 6:40 p.m.

ok, for those keeping score:

1 - Lawn "Mowed"
1 - Sink Drain Leak found... possibly repaired
1 - Beard Trimmer E36 M3ing out

le sigh

I think the splitter's out for this year... might have to go the "TL cooling mod" instead

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/1/18 8:50 p.m.

looking forward to following along this year guys.  Best of luck and be safe.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/1/18 9:39 p.m.

Just got word that Robert Thorn popped the motor in his GTR last night and is trying to find another one to stab in to make the start. One Lap does have it drama. 

sleepyhead
5/1/18 10:06 p.m.

The kids are in bed, so I moved the car into the garage to check the torque on the spacers... and halfway through untorqueing the wheels, realized I had no way to actually check that, since sleepywife is already asleep too.

so, I popped the rear panels back in... although I think I broke a clip in the process.

Decided to move the car back out onto the driveway, and now I hear some kind of rhythmic pulley squeak at idle.  Grrr.

So, I futzed around the garage doing tool gathering and organizing type packing after starting a load of laundry.

Alright, I'll deal with the pulley noise tomorrow.  The struggle is real, I feel for Robert, hopefully bound for Indy in 30 hours

sleepyhead
5/2/18 9:06 a.m.

so, doing some reading, looks like likely culprits for pulley whine noise is either power steering, or the idler/tensioner.  So, I need to test and see if the tone changes while turning the wheels... and if not, probably go get a tensioner assembly and try to swap it in sometime today blush

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
5/2/18 9:32 a.m.

check power steering level as well. 

sleepyhead
5/2/18 9:52 a.m.

Power steering fluid is at "upper level".  Sound doesn't change with wheel input.  Isn't there initially... shows up as engine warms up.  It's kind of a ringing/chirping.

If it's an idler/tensioner bearing.. that's a "fix before leaving VA" thing... or a "it should last 9 hours thing"? I assume though, failure and seizing of the bearing == blown motor?

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/2/18 9:55 a.m.

it'll just toss the serp belt. you can try spraying a little wd40 on the bearing of the pulley to see if it changes pitch. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/2/18 9:55 a.m.

Is it a whine or a groan? You have kids, you know the difference. 

In my experience if it's power steering it will get worse when you hold it all the way locked to one side. If it's the tensioner it's a much higher pitched whine. Brian drove the Civic with a tensioner whine for way longer than I would have expected and we only changed it a couple weeks ago. My guess is that you should be good to SB, but if it goes then it will throw the belt and you'll be sort of stuck. Make sure you have the proper wrench to move the tensioner, you can't always get a socket on Honda stuff and you need the right size box end wrench. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/2/18 10:03 a.m.

I have plenty of tools if needed. might save you packing yours. 

sleepyhead
5/2/18 10:05 a.m.

It's high pitched...  whine... rhythmic though, hence "chirp".  Sprayed the upper pulley... which I think is the idler... and noise disappeared. Which is good... those are only $20.   I might pick up one, and some fuses and just spray it every gas stop tomorrow... and change it with everything else.

sleepyhead
5/2/18 10:16 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

I have plenty of tools if needed. might save you packing yours. 

I needed to gather mine up anyways... they were a bit scattered from Sunday's thrash.  If I didn't do it now... the kids would move them... and I wouldn't find them until 2021

mazdeuce - Seth
5/2/18 10:18 a.m.

Use a better lube than WD40 if you have it. WD40 is very short lasting and washes out anything good that might be in there. Good that it's the pulley, easy fix.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/2/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

its great for finding the location. I usually use white lithium spray on those things for a longer solution. but I think I am out.

sleepyhead
5/2/18 11:25 a.m.

I've got some... but the wd40 was literally within arm's reach

sleepyhead
5/2/18 12:26 p.m.

This post is for JG wink

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/2/18 1:16 p.m.

If you've got some white lithium and a roll of 200mph tape I don't see how you can't possibly have success on this trip!

mazdeuce - Seth
5/2/18 1:21 p.m.

Oh E36 M3, that reminds me, I need to pack more zip ties. 

sleepyhead
5/2/18 5:15 p.m.

alright, spacer torque is checked, and the pulley is lithium grease lubed.

new pulley is acquired

about to pack clothes, shower.  then I've got a preschool training thing.  then I'm going to pack up tools.  then it's bed (hopefully), fitful sleep (probably), and then hopefully Indy after 10 hours and 600miles.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/2/18 5:16 p.m.

YAY!

sleepyhead
5/2/18 8:21 p.m.

here it is, the PlanB TL (tTLy ARC Racing  {that is 'Totally All Remaing Cars Racing'})... ready enough for the first transit...

sleepyhead
5/2/18 10:36 p.m.

I'm loathe to call what I just did "packing"... but whatever the proper term is for "throwing a whole bunch of E36 M3 into various orifices of the car", it's almost all done.  Clothes, helmet, and 'personal bag' to go in in the morning.

FYI, Bob, I fully intend to leave a big friggin plastic box of "supplies" at your place for the week.

hopefully I've remembered everything

offhand thought:  y'all make sure to pack a GRM shirt... that's what we'll wear in the team photo.  also, bring Driver's License, and NASA card.

sleepyhead
5/3/18 3:59 a.m.

welp, the clock says it's time to go

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/3/18 5:24 a.m.

Go, Dog, Go!

sleepyhead
5/3/18 6:21 a.m.

2 hours in, and I'm up to Frostburg for the first gas/food/etc break.  Time to pull off the fleece.

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOSfpSgE8FNGhisFA6pPSFGIZT49mgAi6n3jShOt9vUIGqCBsanfgUmcWCcK9Tqx