Erich
Erich UberDork
11/17/18 7:10 a.m.

This is not the dreaded "oh shoot the cable snapped" or "oh shoot the latch motor failed" issue.

It's our first winter with an old minivan, and the dang sliding doors are frozen shut every morning with ice. Even the slightest moisture in the air does it.

Anyone here experience this and come up with a fix?

I think it's probably the topmost seal freezing to the door, and someone elsewhere on a terrible Toyota forum suggested using a credit card to break the ice. I may replace that piece of weatherstripping to see if it makes a difference. 

What kind of lubricant is best for soft door seals?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/17/18 7:14 a.m.

Silicone around the door seal once it warms a little and unfreezes.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/17/18 7:14 a.m.

Some sort of silocone door seal lubricant should do it. Also is the painted surface that hits the weather strip on the door or the van? Either way, if you can get is somewhere warm and properly wash and wax that metal surface it will help to keep it free of moisture and freezing. When I drove rusty crap boxes in my youth the door jambs got more wax than the rest of the car. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/17/18 7:56 a.m.

WD40

The WD stands for Water Displacement.  WD40 is not harmful to paint.  If you put some WD 40 on the painted surfaces it should displace the water and therefore displace what freezes.  

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/17/18 7:57 a.m.

If you don't have a silicone lube handy, PAM cooking spray will work in a pinch.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/18 8:42 a.m.

I used Sil Glyde silicone grease when I lived where it snowed.

Erich
Erich UberDork
11/17/18 11:26 a.m.

tried the silicone and it did't work, but maybe I just need to be more heavy-handed with it. I'll also wax the painted surface - good idea.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/17/18 11:26 a.m.

I've heard of Vaseline too for such.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/17/18 3:17 p.m.

I used dielectric grease on the rubber seal of my Land Cruiser sunroof and it went from sticky and temperamental to perfect just that quickly.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/17/18 8:38 p.m.

When I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska back in the 80's, we used Vaseline on the door seals and powder graphite in the locks and on the latch mechanism. Did that trick on the same truck (K5 Blazer) in KY/TN but didn't seem to help when the whole truck was incased in ice. surprise After chipping the ice around the door it would open easily though.

Had friends that used PAM cooking spray, it worked as well as Vaseline but you had to reapply more often. Probably better on the seals though being vegetable based and Vaseline being petroleum based.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/17/18 11:52 p.m.

Vaseline is probably going to rot rubber seals.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/18 6:34 a.m.

Honda has a Shin-Etsu silicone grease for exactly this purpose.  It's expensive, but gets good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z9TZ9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_VVv8BbKDWSD7S

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/18/18 10:52 p.m.

Gummi Fledge is what I like for rubber seals, shin etsu grease is what I use on window tracks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6oYtYSkFkVg7E4GlORrfNeBvawtXr1v54Od4ipfP4AmiwfS5mih6jDG0UeunSo33