1 2 3 4
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 6:48 a.m.

Altimax Arctic, non-studded (#2).

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/18 9:14 a.m.

I agree with Evan; the Generals are going to be the best for the dirt to hard packed clay conditions.  They're pretty awful in full blown mud, but you can't have everything out of one tire.

dps214
dps214 New Reader
8/14/18 9:29 a.m.

Generals for harder surfaces, original winterforce (first photo) for looser stuff or colder weather (more void area and pretty sure the compound is softer). Though we had pretty good luck with the winterforces on harder surfaces, they just wear quickly. What tire is the last photo?

kiwimtnclmbr
kiwimtnclmbr New Reader
8/14/18 3:04 p.m.

Alright hive, I've got a tangential question. What is your take on an all-season hard compound tire with better mud+snow channels, grooves, etc? I'm thinking specifically of the Nokian WR G3/G4 series and the Toyo Celsius.

I've got two Weathermaster S/T's for the front of my FWD already which are fine for the soft stuff but get chewed and sloppy on hardpack or heavens-forbid tarmac during summer temps. I'm looking at the WDCR events at Summit Point coming up. I'd like to hedge my bets for those conditions with a second set of rubber. I know people used to be happy with RT43 perfomance if staying with stock class tire options - will the Nokia(n) or Toyo be better, the same or worse? Or do I just run summer rubber if it's that hot/hard like a currently cheap Sport Comp 2 ($57.50 per)?

Nokian WR G3 (90H) @ $60 a corner:

Toyo Celsius (86H) @ $59 a corner:

$120 is about $20 over my max budget for tires for the rest of year. FYI a hasty meta-review of tests and comparisons between the two shows the Nokians  drive better but the Toyo's last better. So moar traction or moar rubber left at the end of the day?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/18 3:43 p.m.

In reply to kiwimtnclmbr :

I'm very pro of WRG3 due to it's stiff sidewall and steering response, and want to try the vredesteain quatrac 5, which carries an even higher speed rating and stiffer sidewall. 

As much as the soft compound chunking and wearing quickly with snow tires is, soft T rated sidewalls are even worse in terms of making you slow.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 7:59 p.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to dps214 :

I'm definitely a fan of summer tires at I96. Last time I was there I placed 2nd in SA (behind Jon Trudeau when he had the WRX) in my 2.5rs on Direzza DZ102s. The same event someone won MR in my Miata on corded Sumitomo 175/13s. 

What, this guy?

I heard tell he destroyed PF the following year in a new car, on BFG Sport Comp 2s.

We shan't speak of his attempt at SA in 2018 on the same field of battle.  Interestingly, at each one of these events, vital fluid was spilled.  The Miata ripped its oil drain plug off while going through the crossover on its second to last run, the S40 blew a fuel line off halfway down US23 on the way home (uh, so I hear) and the SA contender was last witnessed showering transmission fluid through some newly-rent orifice inside the bellhousing.  (But for that first run, man it was glorious)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 8:06 p.m.
kiwimtnclmbr said:

Alright hive, I've got a tangential question. What is your take on an all-season hard compound tire

Junk.  Compound is everything, no matter the surface.  This is why truck tires suck.  Winter tires tend to have gooey compounds at summer temperatures.  Good rally tires have kinda gummy compounds too.  (Hankooks did NOT, which is why they sucked)

You can go too far of course.  Indy Sports seem to shear lugs right off on grippy hard courses.

Tread pattern seems to be key, until you notice every car coming in with their tread voids packed with dirt and vegetation.  It's not the tread pattern that is giving any grip, it is the rubber compound.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6qGcRQVJ2pNUmYAbCSjaqKExHdf7FHKM8iU8dQT93qM6Q4SylkbQwl0tn06v5Pyf