1 2
Inagawa
Inagawa New Reader
3/25/15 2:58 a.m.

I read the GRM camry project and seen some of the directive responsives.. which made it weird for me because in fact im building a carmy for track sessions myself. Lol

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/15 8:48 a.m.

Hi, my name is Dave and I sometimes search for Camries with manual transmissions on Craigslist

(group all together: Hi Dave)

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/25/15 9:05 a.m.

I might know a guy that's passively hunting a Camry wagon, and that guy might also be hunting for an es300 front clip to share with that Camry wagon....

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
3/25/15 10:25 a.m.

Don't let the neigh sayers stop you. I have been tracking a Chevy Malibu since 2012.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
3/25/15 12:39 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I might know a guy that's passively hunting a Camry wagon, and that guy might also be hunting for an es300 front clip to share with that Camry wagon....

Dual rear wipers do get my blood pumping.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/25/15 1:12 p.m.

Both of my brothers had a 99 Camry V6 with a manual transmission. Some Toyota salesmen said that they never saw one before. It did drive better than an automatic powered one, but it still wasn't sporty. It was black with black 15" aftermarket wheels; it was the best looking Camry of that generation I ever saw.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 1:59 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Don't let the neigh sayers stop you. I have been tracking a Chevy Malibu since 2012.

I'm sorry

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
3/25/15 2:23 p.m.

I keep thinking of a beige Camry with f/r layout and 1uzfe, with box flares

SEADave
SEADave Reader
3/25/15 2:48 p.m.

Nothing wrong with that. I keep an eye out for manual ES300's too. I also like the two-door Camry before they became the Solara or whatever.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/25/15 3:13 p.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: Hi, my name is Dave and I sometimes search for Camries with manual transmissions on Craigslist (group all together: Hi Dave)

Dave.... in 1992... my dad bought a new Lexus ES300.... with a 5 speed! alas... it is loooooong gone

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
3/25/15 3:15 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Don't let the neigh sayers stop you. I have been tracking a Chevy Malibu since 2012.
I'm sorry

Says the man with a Discovery...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 6:09 p.m.
Richard Nixon wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
I'm sorry
Says the man with a Discovery...

I own a Malibu also.. it was given to me by my Grandmother when she gave up driving at 94.. hence is has very low miles and is a creampuff.. it is also the most miserable car I have ever driven.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/25/15 8:34 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I might know a guy that's passively hunting a Camry wagon, and that guy might also be hunting for an es300 front clip to share with that Camry wagon....

I have been looking of r a1992-1996 Camry wagon for 2 months..no luck yet

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/25/15 9:07 p.m.

Camry wagon with es300 front sounds cool but the whole wagon section on that gen of camry is truly hideous, sadly.

I think an es300 with a 5spd would be really neat.

daeman
daeman Reader
3/25/15 10:03 p.m.

Stock looking Camry with a Toyota chaser drive line under it for the win. Imagine the embarasment that you could cause to hektik boy racers yo.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/26/15 12:46 a.m.

I'll stick with my beige Maxima. . Seriously, though, I'm totally fine with Camry's, I wish the GRM project car had turned out better. I just read a Jalopnik article the other day where the author bought a manual ES300 and went rallycrossing with it...alas, it did not survive...I assume it suffered the same oil starvation as the project Camry.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/26/15 1:01 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
I'm sorry

Read the thread about it--it's pretty rad.

Didn't the GRM Camry blow an engine or two?

Inagawa
Inagawa New Reader
3/26/15 5:26 a.m.

I just thought it was funny thats all, there was steps that grm could of taken to reduce oil starvation and improve on overall performance for little money. For one, 4th gen camry's have loads of body roll which slushes around things that shouldnt lol, some simple modifications like stiffer struts and lowering springs, front strut bar and a rear chassis floor bar could of help it be more planted. Also a smaller side wall tire profile/wider wheel and tire combination would help everything overall, next would of been a oil catch can, a engine damper (off brand or stillen) to reserve blow by oil between the valve cover and intake manifold,and the damper to stiffen engine movement, also maybe a qt of extra oil. Lol..... now for the record, all that wouldnt be problem solved modifications, just would of helped a little overall. A oil accumutor, crank scrapper and a baffled oil pan would do the trick but that alone is more money than usually people would want to invest in a camry...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/26/15 6:35 a.m.

In reply to Inagawa: If I recall correctly, they did put stiffer shocks, lowering springs, and slightly bigger wheels with summer tires on it. Those engines just may not be good for racing. People have mentioned that SBC 350 engines don't last in LeMons or Chumpcar racing, either.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/15 6:37 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
I'm sorry

I was going to make a similar wisecrack but then I realized I have not been on track since 2012.

Inagawa
Inagawa New Reader
3/26/15 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

For the record, you may be correct sir, it wouldnt let me read the whole article the first time around.lol

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/15 2:39 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Don't let the neigh sayers stop you.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/26/15 2:49 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine: I can relate. My mother tried to give my niece a Mustang II with a vinyl top, six, and a 3 speed for her 16th birthday, when she "quit" driving. The Mustang had less than 10,000 miles and was five or six years old at the time.

My niece turned it down. I didn't realize she was that sharp till then.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/26/15 2:53 p.m.

I would rather see a Camry, Malibu or any other mundane boring sedan modded and out on track than any M3 or "sports car". There is something about someone building something they are passionate about to do the things that come naturally to other cars that are much more interesting to me.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/26/15 3:48 p.m.

I never thought I'd say it, but on the way to work this morning I saw a Camry that actually looked pretty (gulp) cool!.

Silver, lowered, right size wheels & tires on it - I thought to myself "well I'll be darned, you CAN make a Camry look good."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMitH3i7LiTFZel5HAnyLatB0pyDs5wTI0PJjUiHMdnuIvAlq8LjKHJ0S5w2FIR7