1 2 3 ... 14
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:01 p.m.

While we were on vacation, a girl "fell asleep at the wheel" took out a pole, drove through neighbors yard and mine and into my foundation. I will post pictures shortly.

Any advice on number of estimates I should get (Liberty Mutual adjuster already came and is waiting on estimates.

Plus, looking at foundation and damage, what's this gonna take to fix? Already talking about living in trailers parked in the yard for awhile.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm lost and a car is involved after all!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:04 p.m.

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html][/URL]g

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:06 p.m.

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpeg.html][/URL]

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/13/16 8:06 p.m.

I'd just go with your insurance company. I see this as very similar to an auto v. auto accident. Having gone through two other people at fault auto claims in 2 years, I'd recommend filing with your insurance, paying any deductible and letting them get all the money from the other insurance company. They will get your deductible back for you and you only have to deal with your company, which will be a whole lot better than dealing with the motherberkeleyers at the other insurance agency.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/13/16 8:07 p.m.

And that will buff out.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/16 8:07 p.m.

I've had good luck with Liberty Mutual for car stuff.

Two years ago, my friend's house suffered huge water damage from a storm. Insurance covered everything and put them up in a nice hotel for four months. At one point, I mentioned that it would have been cheaper for the insurance company to get them a short term rental in a house or condo. Might be something to consider mentioning if your damage goes all the way to the foundation.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/13/16 8:12 p.m.

That wall needs to be redone. I worked for a builder and the Dozer guy knocked a wall in on a house and they fixed it okay - never was a problem.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:15 p.m.

2nd floor bedroom sheetrock. .

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpeg.html][/URL]

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:18 p.m.

Damage is all the way through obviously. But the damage is to the front and even more extensively on the right side. Regardless, the corner is going to need replacing.

I don't even know how that can be done and keep the house in one piece

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/13/16 8:18 p.m.

Ouch man. Is that a poured foundation wall? Big job to replace if so. Sorry about your luck! They can do in place repairs to some pretty incredible damage so I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer on property isn't needed but take it if you think you need it.

Sorry about your luck.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/13/16 8:19 p.m.

They can lift the house off the foundation without doing any more damage to the house. It's pretty amazing to see.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/16 8:21 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: 2nd floor bedroom sheetrock. . [URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpeg.html][/URL]

Yeah, that wall is berkleyed. Ain't no plumber's crack there...

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/13/16 8:21 p.m.

+1 on what Dr. Hess wrote.

Your homeowners carrier will subrogate against liberty mutual. Also (this varies by state and policy) they will likely pay based on replacement cost where as liberty mutual will pay the actual cash value (depreciated) cost of the damage.

Based on what I can see they are likely going to want an engineer to review and draw up repair specifications for the foundation damage. Other than that it's framing, siding, a window, insulation, drywall etc.

Depending on the room which was affected you'd likely stay in the home unless it's been declared unsafe by the county building department. A general rule of thumb is if the house has water, electric and is less than 50% affected the carriers Ive dealt don't move you out. Special circumstances notwithstanding.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:22 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: And that will buff out.

My friend sent me a coupon for FlexSeal

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:24 p.m.

Yes it's a poured foundation. Not a single solitary crack in the entire perimeter... Until now.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

Liberty Mutual is the homeowner carrier. I haven't even been home yet (still in NH on vacation) so I don't know who the driver is insured by.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/13/16 8:40 p.m.

It's not often I see a berkeleying HOUSE get totalled in a car accident.

But I'd skip flex seal and go straight to fiberglass body filler with a skim coat of bondo. Good enough for frame rust repair!

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
7/13/16 8:47 p.m.

What about that LaserBond "as seen on TV" stuff? It uses, like, frikin laser beams and E36 M3 so it has to be good!

In seriousness, glad you and yours are OK. That interior picture looks like a child's room... scary thought.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/13/16 9:02 p.m.

That's quite a lot of damage. On the concrete side it's gonna be a lot of work. Depending they may need to Jack up the entire house to fix it.....you might get away with doing poured block but I would probably make the insurance company do a poured wall.

Also...from those pics it looks like all the framing above needs to be replaced

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
7/13/16 9:09 p.m.

this E36 M3 happens more than most folks think

good luck

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/13/16 9:11 p.m.

Wow, she clobbered the E36 M3 out of your house.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 9:29 p.m.

I'm trying to ID the make and model of the car by the parts left behind (my wife thinks I should be able to tell from the pictures!)

I'm thinking there might be a badge or a hubcap lodged somewhere. I'll find out tomorrow when I get home.

fireball123
fireball123 Reader
7/13/16 9:33 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: [URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html][/URL]g

I thought that piece of plastic was a supercharger and was going to ask you what type of car hit your house but than I took a closer look and realized it wasn't a supercharger

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/13/16 9:41 p.m.

The crack in the sheetrock is the upper floor in the FRONT of the house. The car hit the ground-level on the SIDE. How berkeleying fast was she going anyway?

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/13/16 9:42 p.m.

I've fixed three houses that have been hit during my previous career. Happens a lot.

Is that a full basement wall or a crawl space?

1 2 3 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
peHOXJ2tWVMhZWFbyUHUzLvU1BDtJOQepXGGXTNWCj1inZ1EXGl7augmXUxZ7mk8