jpaturzo
jpaturzo New Reader
3/19/11 8:11 p.m.

Get a free tetanus shot when signing up? Seriously, I need to see if mine is up to date.

Anyone have any advice on when to quit a project? I typically keep going until it stops being fun, but this kind of damage is way out of my skill range to repair.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
3/19/11 8:15 p.m.

yuck! that hurts just to look at.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
3/19/11 9:02 p.m.

wow.

Time to bail I'm afraid. Go get a 944 and enjoy the thrill of Porsche's galvanized steel bodies. mmmmmmmm....no rust.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 9:12 p.m.

That looks like a donor to a better tub....

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/19/11 9:28 p.m.

Oh, that's not that bad... my 1800ES is much worse...

jpaturzo
jpaturzo New Reader
3/19/11 9:38 p.m.

That's the driver side, which are generally the "good side" on 914's. I'm going to fight the passenger side rocker panel off tomorrow. See what the "bad side" holds for me.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
3/19/11 9:48 p.m.

I remember looking at a SAAB Sonnett that needed to be slid onto a sheet of plywood to drag it up on a trailer...

(I don't think there would have been much other than the fiberglass left after the most gentle of journeys)

It may still be there... (but getting lower, and lower ! )

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/19/11 10:04 p.m.

That's not the worst looking 914 I have seen, unfortunately. However, the Driver's side inner is NLA, and no repros, so you have to fab your own... I have seen our head tech have to do that before too!

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
3/19/11 11:34 p.m.

At least the brits were kind enough to generally put the engine in the front of the car and design it to leak oil so the bottom of those cars stood a little better chance to stave off the tin worm.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/20/11 6:46 a.m.

Time for that to move on to someone dumber with more ambition.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/11 9:27 a.m.

944 time! That looks too serious to fix

jpaturzo
jpaturzo New Reader
3/20/11 10:00 a.m.

I'm going to try to do some exploratory surgery on the passenger side today. That should help me make up my mind between trying to sell it in one piece, or taking the sawzall to it. If I take the saw to it, at least I'll feel good about helping other people fix there cars.

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/20/11 11:09 a.m.

About parting it, maybe post some pictures on the Pelican Parts forum telling people to request bits you'd have for sale?

I hope you didn't pay much for the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1NOHuYx7XLG1BtRJeMhW0lR3BxqpOKRUWyfAp10UXYweU36LiJ8vp0BpyQHeQ4rw