Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Dork
5/23/16 9:05 p.m.

Apparently they are super rare. Supposedly one owner car, only problem i see is that it has 128k miles on it. Any thoughts? Maybe someone here owned it?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
5/23/16 9:39 p.m.

Look man, we are autophiles here. If you're going to say things as sexy and kinky as "rx8" and "blue" you gotta include pics bro.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/16 9:43 p.m.

I wouldn't call them super rare, but they aren't exactly dropping out of trees. Get a compression test done by the dealership before you buy it, and be advised that the Recaros are built for really slender people. I'm 5'10" and 200 pounds and they pinched the hell out of my shoulders.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/23/16 9:44 p.m.

I actually just drove by one out here in Indiana yesterday. Don't see many R3s in general. I didn't think the blue was particularly rare, but I've never really looked into it either.

I would say that 128k miles is probably really pushing it for a Renesis engine without a rebuild. I would budget for one, if it hasn't had a replacement engine earlier in life.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Dork
5/23/16 9:45 p.m.

Don't want one of u guys, or grassroots to go and buy it from under me :-p So no worries other than the compression test then?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/16 10:18 p.m.

Compression test first, budget for new coils, wires and plugs and all new fluids.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
5/23/16 11:17 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I wouldn't call them super rare, but they aren't exactly dropping out of trees. Get a compression test done by the dealership before you buy it, and be advised that the Recaros are built for really slender people. I'm 5'10" and 200 pounds and they pinched the hell out of my shoulders.

I'm 5'11", 200 lbs, and my shoulders fit in my R3 fine. My fat thighs and back do not, however. Moral of the story, don't be a moderately fat guy and expect to fit.

Definitely buy it, though. They are awesome.

Johnny Hachi: was the one you drove by on a trailer behind a suburban by any chance?

Brett_Murphy
5/23/16 11:28 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Moral of the story, don't be a moderately fat guy and expect to fit.

Hey! Who are you calling fat?

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
5/23/16 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

If my wife is to be believed, it's me. I'm the fat guy!

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Dork
5/24/16 5:34 a.m.

So the suspension doesn't wear out on these prematurely either? Bilsteins arent cheap. I am the worst when buying a car. Now to sell the neon today...

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
5/24/16 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

6` 3`` and 235lbs here and I fit them just fine. I find them to be quite comfy for shorter drives, even when I was heavier. After a few hours they do start to get a little tight in the love handle area though.

Brett_Murphy
5/24/16 8:24 a.m.

Do two events in the RX-8 and then join Mazdaspeed and order replacement parts for dealer cost. The Bilsteins still won't be cheap, but they will be less expensive than many other places.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/24/16 9:01 a.m.

I found a black R3 with only 68k miles for sale locally for only $12.9k the other week, but it sold before I could even inquire about it :( Like literally a couple hours.

So, if it is competitively priced you might want to jump on it...

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Dork
5/24/16 9:22 a.m.

It's almost 11k. Seat is torn, needs tires. On top of a compression test. I'm getting rather weary of this one.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/16 9:23 a.m.

That doesn't sound like a particularly good deal to me.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Dork
5/24/16 10:01 a.m.

Since I'm not worried, here is the link. I'm thinking pass now. Not gunna spend that much if it needs a lot of work. https://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/5590887344.html

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/16 4:39 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: That doesn't sound like a particularly good deal to me.

R3s seem to still be going for $20k+ in normal 5-year-old trade-in trim. $11k in sad shape is not out of line.

The R3s are all '09-up and so have the updated engine with three oil injection ports per rotor instead of two. I'd still want to premix some 2-stroke oil in there, in addition to the paucity of oil that the factory tuning deigns to allow the engine. It still ain't enough, although it's better than in 2003.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/24/16 4:58 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Compression test first, budget for new coils, wires and plugs and all new fluids.

This all day, Im 5'6' 175 and while it fits the lower half fantastic my shoulders were so stuffed in i could not stay in the seats for any longer then 5min, only reason I did not get an R3 when I did is 19" rims on top of the tight top seats.

DO IT!!!!!!

Brett_Murphy
5/25/16 9:56 a.m.

I think it's a good deal.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/16 11:42 a.m.

R3 is nice, but you could get a sport with low miles for $10-12k swap the shocks and it's pretty close to the same thing other than the aesthetics.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Dork
5/25/16 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Harvey:

That's what I was thinking. Not to mention at 128k miles it should need new shocks anyway

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kx4xkFuffgYAgmIsnASYUXojTtlMu6hG3S2Ga8bkUnnqprWl4YqTfYnaEWGgo3Kj