JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/08 7:42 a.m.

I have highlighte my real questions for those doing the Cliff Notes version of this thread.

I am taking over the Pimpish's headache Ford Aspire in order to build a real hypermiling/ autocrossing/ rallycrossing daily driver.

A: He had broken a part in the original transmission but after no luck finding a good used Aspire transmission he installed the guts of a Festiva trans in the Aspire case. There is now a "grinding/scrubbing" sound in the transmission in gears 1,2,3 that is NOT present in gears 4,5,R. Is it possible that a bearing simply is damaged or improperly seated on the gear 1 shift shaft?

B: I am considering building a 1.6L SOHC or DOHC engine to install in place of the factory 1.3L. I know there will be a small penalty in MPG for installing the 1.6L SOHC engine but the torque increase outweighs the penalty plus the Festiva final drive is "higher". How bad will the DOHC penalty be in the same circumstances? I realize that the inheirant design of the DOHC engine is to rev higher to make more HP and revving higher consumes more fuel. My thinking is that I can still benefit from the best of both worlds by allowing it to rev in lower gears and still have a low final gear rev at speed. Is the thinking that the lower numerical final drive joined with the DOHC "Miata type" engine get similar mileage to the factory 1.3L with the higher numerical final drive?

Overall my itinerary with the car will be:

1: Repair hybrid transmission and reinstall drivetrain in car.

2: Install full length belly pans to reduce under car aero drag. Using plastic (used VW pans) and light sheet alloy.

3: Install adjustable height springs in similar tensions as OE, reduce height about 35mm compared to OE.

4: Install lightweight 15" x 6.5" (Rota Slipstream) wheels and 185/55r15s for a slightly larger OD and lower weight

Any suggestions welcome.

TJ
TJ Reader
11/19/08 12:15 p.m.

I always thought Aspire was one of the worst car names...I mean really, is it a car or does it just aspire to becoming one someday?

How much MPG savings do you think you can get by adding a belly pan? I'm not a hypermiler - I usually try to burn as much fuel as fast as I can, but I like the concept.

Not sure about the MPG penalty of a larger, more powerful engine, but I think it will make the car more fun while using it as an autocrosser/rallycrosser/daily driver and less fun as a hypermiler.

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/08 12:29 p.m.

It will be referred to as the AspireR/T from this time forward. Pronounced As-pire-it.

I don't know how much if any the belly pan and lowering will add to the total picture, I know the 10lb wheels and the tires will help a bit.

My hope is that with the other trans guts and the bigger better breathing engine I can duplicate or improve the factory mileage of 42HWY.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FRbXHDHHrEhd4Y06tGJU80VrV4Oqb5fRJorcMkWxaFnxaDbpVWQaviMY8NR9FDTD