DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/20/12 11:31 a.m.

What's the easy way to clean one? 92 Nissan Sentra, with an oil leak I'm trying to track down.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/20/12 11:34 a.m.

I usually just spray them with a pressure washer, then a load of simple green, then pressure wash again. Don't spray the distributor, etc directly. Seems to work well.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
4/20/12 11:46 a.m.

Cheap and Easy, works for me.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/12 11:51 a.m.

If it's drivable, it goes to the car wash and gets sprayed down with tire cleaner and then blasted.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/12 12:13 p.m.

Yep, engine foam in a can, on a warm motor, let it soak. Follow with various brushes to get the heavy, crusty crap broken up, pressure wash/garden hose spray.

Rinse, repeat.

Be careful of pressure washing, you can damage delicate parts of the engine bay (radiators and the like) Don't use the very high pressure spray, unless spraying the block directly.

Wear safety goggles as getting cleaner or junk in your eye at high speed can't be good long term. Plus I can imagine it would be irritating as hell. Heavy duty gloves and clothes you don't mind trashing aren't a bad idea as you will get wet and dirty.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
4/20/12 12:26 p.m.

Spray with "foamy gunk engine brite" drive to self seave car wash and blast it. Drive home allow to cool and dry. When dry spray suspected area with Tinaction or other foot spray powder or jock itch spray. Run engine watch for dark spot to come through white.

e_pie
e_pie Reader
4/20/12 12:38 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I usually just spray them with a pressure washer, then a load of simple green, then pressure wash again. Don't spray the distributor, etc directly. Seems to work well.

That's basically what I do.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/20/12 12:38 p.m.

All of the above is fine advice. If you REALLY want it clean though, NOTHING beats a siphon feed pressure washer (the kind you hook up to an air hose and then siphon whatever with) spraying high pressure mineral spirits.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/20/12 3:36 p.m.

Do be careful wit hthe pressure washers. The jet can force water into electrical connectors. You don't want that.

alex
alex UltraDork
4/20/12 4:40 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: All of the above is fine advice. If you REALLY want it clean though, NOTHING beats a siphon feed pressure washer (the kind you hook up to an air hose and then siphon whatever with) spraying high pressure mineral spirits.

This is effing BRILLIANT!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZpC6cxYFVAMfGXswMJwy5LDYBU0HBBHDCSu7dSu5XesK4dyiE4RrBYd3fc6PBHg