1 2 3
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/18 7:39 a.m.
stroker said:

Y'know, the more I watch of Jeremy Clarkson the more I come to the conclusion he's running a few pints low on humility.

He’s the guy who sees the low humility light then keeps driving for years because he knows better than to trust a light

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/20/18 8:34 a.m.

It's not quite into the affordable realm yet, but I see the Audi R8 and Lambo Gallardo twins as the next great affordable supercars.  While people might run screaming at VW Group reliability, from what I hear they are far more reliable and much much cheaper to run than the modern 'reliable, cheap to own' Ferrari's.

If you step away from Supercars and look at GT's then DB9's aren't priced far from Vantage's.  Either is a great buy.  Next up has to be an XKR.

And to those bemoaning the lack of manual trans, in any of these cars I'd be seeking out a two pedal variant.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/20/18 9:31 a.m.
stroker said:

Anything Japanese fall under the "exotic" category for less than $17K?  I'd think not but I'm hardly knowledgeable about it. 

The Acura NSX and Mk VI Supra, and any running FD RX7s, have probably climbed out of that price range - here would be about the closest Japanese cars to "exotic" status that you could probably find in that price range, in no particular order.

• Toyota MR2 versions - They have the mid engined layout and often the looks the part, although the engines may not be "exotic enough."
  • Datsun 240Z - More of a classic sports car than a true exotic, but prices aren't getting any lower.
  • Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - Not all of the '90s Japanese twin turbo cars have hit unaffordable prices yet.
  • Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - May not be very easy to find in good shape, but would probably be within that price range.
  • Honda S2000 - Another one that's not quite as exotic, but a good bit wilder than a Miata.

Or if your main goals are turning heads and having people wonder what that car is, you import an Autozam AZ-1 or Toyota Sera.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/27/18 9:05 a.m.

So, something relevant to this thread showed up on Daily Turismo today.  For $8000, you can have half a Ferrari Mondial! I presume this is for somebody who wants the experience of sitting in a Ferrari without the maintenance. And without actually being able to drive it anywhere, but you can legitimately tell people it was used as a prop in the first Cannonball Run movie.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wtfQsTaCvBaasAe1Lk3X17GWDjadjMHTIkeEsfSEjJBgZmEXIW83xeBrHK1KRRi6