1 2 3 ... 5
nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/18/13 9:42 p.m.

To my SWMBO imposed five year ban on buying any cars. And for the first time since I was 15 I do not own a car. I do have the bike which I greatly enjoy riding and I have a company vehicle to get back and forth to work with but I feel like I am in completely uncharted waters. It is still to be determined if I can make it for the five years or I will be receiving divorce papers.

My mind is going crazy with the possibilities of what the next one will be. There are so many different automotive avenues I have yet to explore. And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure this is the place I should be hanging around. So many bad ideas show up here on a daily basis. I am seriously lacking direction, my mind is like a blank canvas. I have a couple ideas of things I want to do but nothing is jumping out and grabbing me. If I am able to have some self control and make it the five years I will hopefully have something I've never had before...an actual real budget for buying and modifying a car. Instead of just trying (and failing) to pay as I go resulting in the majority of my brilliant ideas never seeing completion.

I really want a rallycross car. This car would not be a compromise autox/rallyx car, it would have one mission in life. The only conditions for this car is that it be RWD. I like odd cars and I'm not too afraid of getting outside of the proven formulas for the sake of having fun. I'm really having a hard time convincing myself to not get a late 70's Firebird. Having spent my early driving years sliding an '80 T/A around the gravel/dirt roads in SE Indiana and SW Ohio it would be a very comfortable platform for me.

I would also like a dedicated autox car. I've never had a car that actually fit into a class. I wold love to build a car to a set of rules and really be able to judge myself as a driver against similar cars prepped to the same level. This would be more than just for fun and at this point the car/class decision is wide open with no real preference other than I am predisposed to RWD although I believe I could learn how to drive FWD or AWD.

I would love to have a nice classic. This could go many different ways. 911, another 2nd gen T/A, classic British roadster, Corvette or a big 2 door early 70's full size convertible. Something just to cruise around in on the weekends and explore the countryside. The problem with a nice classic is I currently don't have any indoor storage and couldn’t stand to have a nice car siting unprotected out in my gravel driveway. Of course five years from now that may change or I could rent a storage place.

I could see an adventure type vehicle, you know like a westfilia or something like that. In five years my son will be 11 and weekend camping/fishing trips would be fun.

I'd like a nineties Japanese halo car, MR2, 3000GT VR4, Supra TT, 300ZX TT or NSX.

Jeep

Build up a G-body

Hell I don't know, the options are limitless. What ideas do you have for your next project?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/13 10:01 p.m.

My next project arrives right before christmas when the family barracuda finally arrives. It hasn't run in 14 years that I know of so the first task will be getting it running and then sorting out all of the issues that it has from sitting that long.

I am selling my 90's halo car to make room. the MR2.

My other want right now is another truck. I keep waiting for my neighbor to put a for sale sign on his 73 bronco.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/18/13 11:19 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Hell I don't know, the options are limitless. What ideas do you have for your next project?

boat tailed speedster.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/19/13 1:12 a.m.

I wouldn't call a MR2 a halo car, the Supra was that for Toyota.

That would be my choice though. Get an early version, before they changed the suspension. That or a Celica Alltrac, something you should add to your list. I would add that and erase the 3000GT and shop for all those cars equally and find the best one at the best price.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/19/13 5:14 a.m.

In reply to kanaric:

I have equal lust for the turbo MR2 as the Supra. Celica all-trac added to list.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/19/13 5:39 a.m.

Five years is a loong time. I sure hope this was a mutually agreed upon decision.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
11/19/13 6:08 a.m.

You can still buy & sell bikes on a whim right?

gofastbobby
gofastbobby New Reader
11/19/13 6:16 a.m.

You actually think she'll let you buy a cool car after your 5 year sentence is completed? That project money will end up as window coverings, furniture or jewelry.

I guess I'm single for good reason.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/19/13 6:39 a.m.

Seven years ago I bought my truck. For five and a half years I didn't buy anything else. Just drove my truck. Once I started buying cars again my life became better and I'm happier.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/13 6:47 a.m.

Five year ban on buying cars...Ahhahahahahahahahahahahah.

Sorry.

Can you do trades. My last two car purchases have involved no cash. Just saying.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/13 7:01 a.m.

We have an agreement. I don't comment / control the # of shoes the gets and she does not comment / control the # of cars I have.

My first comment is how the hell did you agree to 5 years with no cars?

On the other hand it would be cool to get rid of all my projects. Wipe the slate clean and start fresh with an empty driveway and a full toolbox. To me that would be like winning the lottery.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
11/19/13 7:02 a.m.

I'm single too so take this as presented.

The ban is on BUYING and on CARS...correct? This leaves free, traded, bartering, stealing, winning, building and inheriting.

Also leaves trucks, SUVs, tanks, motorcycles, tractors, gokarts, hovercraft, offroaders, lawn mowers, aircraft, barstools, snowmobiles, locomotives, boats, bicycles, mobility carts, dog sleds, rockets, mules, zambonis, balloons and construction equipment.

Any possibility for time off for good behavior?

At what point does a pile of parts become a car. How assembled does it need to be to qualify?

Have you thought about the possibility of embracing other habits to fill the void that you could share with the wife? Collecting snakes might be good! Raising spiders for their silk might be a more acceptable pastime and be pleasing to the wife. Cars don't look so bad when presented with some alternatives!

So we are looking at a release date around Mothers Day 2018...sad man, just sad.

Bruce

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/19/13 7:06 a.m.

^Man, I like this guy!^

How come you haven't been to the $20XX Challenge yet??

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 7:22 a.m.

It's actually being in the possession of anything that has wheels, powered or not, anything that floats powered or not and anything that fly's powered or not.

You see I have this problem....

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
11/19/13 7:25 a.m.

I could sell you my MR2 with no wheels...

Good luck with the ban, hopefully this is a healthy thing and not a controlling thing. I understand if you have a hoarding / budget problem, that's all too easy to end up with.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/19/13 7:26 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: To my SWMBO imposed five year ban on buying any cars....

Buy a nice motorcycle project to ease the itch.

Trust me, it's cheaper than a girlfriend or a new SWMBO.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
11/19/13 8:33 a.m.

"It's actually being in the possession of anything that has wheels, powered or not, anything that floats powered or not and anything that fly's powered or not.

You see I have this problem."

Looks like it meets the criteria!

Bruce

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/13 8:37 a.m.
egnorant wrote: "It's actually being in the possession of anything that has wheels, powered or not, anything that floats powered or not and anything that fly's powered or not. You see I have this problem." Looks like it meets the criteria! Bruce

Damn, I could only hit the plus 1 button once.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/13 8:38 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: It's actually being in the possession of anything that has wheels, powered or not, anything that floats powered or not and anything that fly's powered or not. You see I have this problem....

Yea, that definitely sounds like a problem.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
11/19/13 8:43 a.m.

I often get in trouble for following the rules.

Bruce

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
11/19/13 8:46 a.m.

SWMBO

God I hate that acronym. It's like voluntarily handing her your nuts in a purse.

That is all I have to add.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 8:49 a.m.

You guys are awesome, I'm in tears egnorant

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/13 9:19 a.m.

I would never put my nuts in anyone's purse. They are in a jar on top of the fridge but that's just so I don't lose them. The more some of you talk about your wife's the more I see how lucky I am.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
11/19/13 9:27 a.m.

I think you should call her swm(not)bo, go buy some sweet beater off CL, bring it home, then say "How's THAT?!?!" when you show it to her. Bonus points for having "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
11/19/13 9:28 a.m.
doc_speeder wrote: SWMBO God I hate that acronym. It's like voluntarily handing her your nuts in a purse. That is all I have to add.

I could not agree more.

You married a women who won't let you buy cars? Would you marry a women who didn't want to have sex? What if she tells you you can't have barbecue and beer, what then? Where does it end!?!?!?!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mwsa4Oc5fHPQDu08iM34JUr9SagHkfOncHn5jB7I4bLNvhfsuoAxqKvtaTZ8MQgX