1 2 3
Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
6/13/12 7:15 a.m.
AverageH wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
AverageH wrote: In reply to iadr: That's funny, I would never consider a stick axle for any car I would drive on the street. I just rented a v6 mustang last weekend and I was appalled! It drove like a truck; a big nasty truck.
Whatever. I live with a Mustang GT on a daily basis and it's just fine, as was my Fiat 124 Spider and first gen RX7. But then again I'm not some stuck up princess that can feel a pea beneath 10 mattresses, with an axe to grind about how my RWD car is suspended. It's no worse on the street than my BMW 7 series with the IRS or my stepson's 3 series. I'm getting really tired of princesses masquerading as car enthusiasts.
Sorry Chris V but I'm not convinced. A true enthusiast can admit to the downfalls of certain suspension designs.

A TRUE enthsuaist doesn't go around being an insutling douchenozzle about every car that isn't their ultimate favorite. My GT is not your damn V6 rental. A lot of us here drive fun stick axle cars and can take exception to the blanket statement about them being crap on the street. So get off your high horse and stuff it. I can both understand the limitations and realize that they aren't a deal breaker NOR are they even bad enough to complain about.

As I said, I live with this car and drive it back to back with an E38 7 series BMW on bumpy Baltimore roads and have a lot of fun in it and it does just FINE on the street (rides about identical to the E38 and has no problem wih corners). Your "I can't live with one on the streeet" is elitist BS of the highest and stinkiest order. And I'm proud to say I'm not a closed minded princess, 'cause it means I can enjoy and have fun with a WHOLE lot more cars on the street and track than you ever will. And no, your Spitfire is not a great example of a stick axle car. Try a first gen RX7 out sometime. Certainly not trucklike at all. But neither is my GT.

BTW, I was driving the BMWs at the time I purchased the Mustang, and I didnt' buy it DESPITE the stick axle and handling like a truck, I bought it becaeu it DIDN'T handle like a truck. It rode great and had crisp turn in. I've been driving and autocrossing for 30+ years, and owned over a hundred cars, from Pintos to Porsches. I have experience and a point of comparison. I'm not merely apologizing for the car because I own it and thus have to say it's great. I've owned crap. This car is far from being crap.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
6/13/12 7:32 a.m.

Anyone that has seen a stock Spit autocross knows the rear suspension is pretty el stinko.
And I've got a little experience with Mustangs. I've owned 4, I put 1000 miles on an early '05 rental, and I just did an extensive test drive in a '13 V-6 just a couple weeks ago.
The difference in the design and setup of a rear suspension has a LOT more to do with the result than whether it's a stick axle or IRS. There were plenty of things I didn't like about that '05 rental, but one thing that sticks out in my mind was how well it drove, which wouldn't have been the case if the rear suspension sucked or it drove like a truck.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/13/12 7:56 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Anyone that has seen a stock Spit autocross knows the rear suspension is pretty el stinko.

Leave Spitfires out of this!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/13/12 7:57 a.m.

The stock Spitfire swing axle was AWFUL. Just like the original Beetle or to a lesser extent the old Mercedes swing axles.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/13/12 8:00 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The stock Spitfire swing axle was AWFUL. Just like the original Beetle or to a lesser extent the old Mercedes swing axles.

The early ones are much worse then the the late ones. Once they put the swing spring setup in it improved it massively. I am having to stick with the stock setup in mine though.

Either way it beats an MG.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/12 8:20 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
AverageH wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
AverageH wrote: In reply to iadr: That's funny, I would never consider a stick axle for any car I would drive on the street. I just rented a v6 mustang last weekend and I was appalled! It drove like a truck; a big nasty truck.
Whatever. I live with a Mustang GT on a daily basis and it's just fine, as was my Fiat 124 Spider and first gen RX7. But then again I'm not some stuck up princess that can feel a pea beneath 10 mattresses, with an axe to grind about how my RWD car is suspended. It's no worse on the street than my BMW 7 series with the IRS or my stepson's 3 series. I'm getting really tired of princesses masquerading as car enthusiasts.
Sorry Chris V but I'm not convinced. A true enthusiast can admit to the downfalls of certain suspension designs.
A TRUE enthsuaist doesn't go around being an insutling douchenozzle about every car that isn't their ultimate favorite. My GT is not your damn V6 rental. A lot of us here drive fun stick axle cars and can take exception to the blanket statement about them being crap on the street. So get off your high horse and stuff it. I can both understand the limitations and realize that they aren't a deal breaker NOR are they even bad enough to complain about.

Um, yeah.... okay then. Seems like you're the one being a bit of an orifice right now. Perhaps someone's tea party didn't go as well as they planned? In other words, "Lighten up, Francis!" I believe you started calling people princesses and generally taking their OPINION personally.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/13/12 8:50 a.m.

It's kinda funny... looking back, all my DDs for the past ~10 years have been RWD stick axle rigs: 2wd pickups, RWD Celicas, RWD Corollas, Mustangs, and Broncos (okay, so these are 4x4, but they're RWD in 2wd, which is 99% of the time I'm driving them)

I'm not even sure what I'd do with having some camber out back, lol.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/13/12 9:02 a.m.

My fast cars are all live axle vehicles, not sure what that says.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
6/13/12 11:45 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
AverageH wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
A TRUE enthsuaist doesn't go around being an insutling douchenozzle about every car that isn't their ultimate favorite. My GT is not your damn V6 rental. A lot of us here drive fun stick axle cars and can take exception to the blanket statement about them being crap on the street. So get off your high horse and stuff it. I can both understand the limitations and realize that they aren't a deal breaker NOR are they even bad enough to complain about. As I said, I live with this car and drive it back to back with an E38 7 series BMW on bumpy Baltimore roads and have a lot of fun in it and it does just FINE on the street (rides about identical to the E38 and has no problem wih corners). Your "I can't live with one on the streeet" is elitist BS of the highest and stinkiest order. And I'm proud to say I'm not a closed minded princess, 'cause it means I can enjoy and have fun with a WHOLE lot more cars on the street and track than you ever will. And no, your Spitfire is not a great example of a stick axle car. Try a first gen RX7 out sometime. Certainly not trucklike at all. But neither is my GT. BTW, I was driving the BMWs at the time I purchased the Mustang, and I didnt' buy it DESPITE the stick axle and handling like a truck, I bought it becaeu it DIDN'T handle like a truck. It rode great and had crisp turn in. I've been driving and autocrossing for 30+ years, and owned over a hundred cars, from Pintos to Porsches. I have experience and a point of comparison. I'm not merely apologizing for the car because I own it and thus have to say it's great. I've owned crap. This car is far from being crap.

Whoa! I'm sorry I offended you so much! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings Chris. I just stated my opinions. I know what I like and what I don't. A Spitfire is not a stick axle car so I don't know where you got that; I was only stating that I am far from being an elitist with poorly designed suspension since I happen to own a great example of it. Let me drive a good example of a stick axle car and maybe I'll be converted, but so far I haven't. Why are you taking it all so personally? Let it go dude.... Hamid

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/12 12:54 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
iadr wrote: You will chew off your tires, and have unpredicatable handling, no matter how many hours were spent on supercomputers. IRS Sucks sucks sucks.
Seriously?

Probably not...

I am definitely an anti-IRS person, but they have their qualities. They are just not qualities that I'm concerned with.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/13/12 1:18 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: The stock Spitfire swing axle was AWFUL. Just like the original Beetle or to a lesser extent the old Mercedes swing axles.
The early ones are much worse then the the late ones. Once they put the swing spring setup in it improved it massively. I am having to stick with the stock setup in mine though. Either way it beats an MG.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RNkxkFSv19gMRENqdW1glHcOQyLgjM6K0ivn8E821GcJsSuDB68mLCcPJLZPazsO