z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
May 28, 2013 8:03 a.m.

Yes, get your ride height set first. The car does gain camber the lower you go.

I have a freak of an NA, or bent control arms on both sides. At my current ride height the alignment tech had no problem getting me -3.0 up front (max available was 3.8!)

Keith Tanner MegaDork
May 28, 2013 9:00 a.m.

As long as the perches are in roughly the same spots on the shocks, you should be okay. It's possible to have really messed up cornerweights and a level ride height, but you have to try.

May 28, 2013 9:27 a.m.

You could try one of these. Not exactly cheap but a lot less $ than scales and purported to be "close enough for gubbmint work". I've never tried one but it gets honorable mention in Smith's Tune To Win book:

Deco Wheel load checker @ speedwaymotors.com for $179

alstevens New Reader
May 28, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Message sent Re: I have a wheel load checker

Paul_VR6 HalfDork
May 28, 2013 8:57 p.m.

Anyone use one of the checkers vs the scales? Would be handy to play with things (weight dist) at the track.

jere Reader
May 28, 2013 10:43 p.m.
dean1484 UberDork
May 29, 2013 6:58 a.m.

A friend of ours that raced with us a couple of times is a master of corner weighting Miata's. I have not seen him in a coupe years but when I was crew chief for our team all the drivers were raving about how much better the car was after he was done messing with the corner weights. I can ask a friend for his name and number if you are interested. PM me or email me if you want me to pursue it further.

Woody MegaDork
May 29, 2013 8:11 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

Whomever did that to those wheels need to be punished.

May 29, 2013 8:26 a.m.
Wonkothesane wrote:
jere wrote: There is always corner weighting with sheets of paper and a calculator

Like a pauper!? Pah, sir, I now am part of an elite class that can look down on the non-specialty-tool-using-to-measure-things unwashed masses. I scoff at your suggestion!

Actually, that's pretty cool. Obviously, it wouldn't be very accurate for how weight, but it could be fine for consistency/balance, which is all that really matters.

Dean - I would love to talk to someone that knows what the heck they're doing, if you don't think he would mind!

A magazine website posted a useful guide a while back. It might help to get you started if you are not familiar with the procedure.

GRM: Understanding Corner Weights

N Sperlo UltimaDork
May 29, 2013 8:27 a.m.

I think a sawzall would be the poor man's corner weight substitute.

Matt B SuperDork
May 29, 2013 8:46 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I think a sawzall would be the poor man's corner weight substitute.

Also see: Shotgun.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
May 29, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Flatout motorsports, or apex auto engineering are both miata shops in the area that have corner scales and alignment rigs. I know Lester at apex charges $130 for a corner weight an alignment, and he'll align you perfectly to your spec to the accuracy of the laser rig, if you say -2.5* of camber, thats what you'll get.

Otherwise Lester told me on almost every normal miata with the normal 1/2" rake that the passenger side front will be ~1/4" higher than the drivers side front after corner weighting.

dean1484 UberDork
May 29, 2013 1:16 p.m.

I will ask my friend and see if he ahs the contact info and see what his deal is. I think he does race car suspension tuning for a living but I am not sure. Give me a day or three and if I don't get back to you BUG ME. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

dean1484 UberDork
May 29, 2013 1:18 p.m.

I can vouch for Lester at Apex. Stand up guy who knows his .. . . .

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

18 hours ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

1 day ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 day ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

2 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

3 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

3 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

3 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

4 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

5 days ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

Chris Albin’s Flying VW Golf: What Really Happened?

1 week ago in News

What really happened to send Chris Albin's VW Golf flying?

Drive Cars From the Lane Motor Museum Collection

1 week ago in News

Love older, maybe slightly weirder cars? This event is for you.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
o6wOlF4PbZsitUD0lHlHB0W2tjWJyLq9