1 2
Dave
Dave Reader
11/5/18 11:16 a.m.

We have one as the kids car. Its ok as a car but certainly not an enthusiast car especially with the autos. Values seem pretty low on them. Ours is pretty beat up. It is skittish on the highway in the snow which I attributed to its need for rear shocks. We did snazzy it up for a beater challenge last year. :)

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
11/5/18 12:00 p.m.

What about the Civic SI from this generation, the one that was built in Swindon and brought over here? 

benrudd521
benrudd521
10/8/20 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I got one recently i'm 13.so is it not a good car to mod and stuff. My freind is giving me a turbo for free

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/8/20 6:04 p.m.
kanaric said:

What about the Civic SI from this generation, the one that was built in Swindon and brought over here? 

Weird revive; but, the Si of this generation gotta lot of hate too. The K20 with only 160hp wasn't that exciting compared to the B16 from the previous gen even though they had the same power numbers. The interior had a funky design and again it went away from the double wishbone on the suspension front. 

They can be had for a steal though and a K24A2 swap will really wake them up. I've been eyeing one for the next champcar build but an 8th gen is just so much more of a car for similar money and points in the champ system. 8th gen sedans actually have a better handling chassis than the coupes. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/20 6:28 p.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

I believe Civics up until '09 were unloved as from what I remember, the '08 had engine issues.

In what regard were there 'engine issues'?  What specific engine?

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/20 6:35 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

the R18 had some block cracking issues.. and it's also cropping up on some of the K20z3 in the 8th gen Si's as well.

neither is common enough to hurt the overall resale of the cars.. but something to be aware of for sure.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/20 6:52 p.m.

So, the R18 is the 1.8 liter that started in 2006 ?? If so, I must have an OK one in my (knock on wood) as our '06 (with that engine) has 166k on it, and appears to still be going strong.  I think.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/20 7:43 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

yes, that's the one..

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/9/20 6:13 a.m.

I've been half-following some of Pirate Garage's "Ebay EM2" build over the last year+...

there's some interesting stuff in there, like a 5x114 conversion, hyrbid steering rack swap, D16y8 Intake Manifold swap, and rebuilding the engine with the block in the car.  It's all pretty good 'till they start putting a turbo on it.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/9/20 9:27 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
8th gen sedans actually have a better handling chassis than the coupes. 

Interesting. Why is that?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/9/20 10:31 a.m.

I have owned Si since the 4th gen. Loved everyone. Wouldn't take a 7th gen or the UK built Si for free. What a pile of junk. 

Own a 8th Gen Si now - LOVE it. Just turned 70k miles on mine. Reminds me of a grown up EF Si or a 01 GSR Sedan I had but with more power. I was all about B17/B16/B18C, but after 10 years away from the platform (my tsx wagon doesn't count with the gimpomatic), having a K20 in the fleet - really opened up the fun factor and reminds me of my youth.... 

Now if I could attract a hot chick instead of bbws...life would be perfect

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/9/20 10:43 a.m.
Snrub said:
DirtyBird222 said:

Wheel base and weight distribution. I think it's largely heresay; however, Honda only made the Mugen Civic Si (in the US) and the Civic Mugen RR in the sedan chassis. Might be a slight indication to what they thought was the better variant. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/9/20 11:15 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
Snrub said:
DirtyBird222 said:

Wheel base and weight distribution. I think it's largely heresay; however, Honda only made the Mugen Civic Si (in the US) and the Civic Mugen RR in the sedan chassis. Might be a slight indication to what they thought was the better variant. 

I agree with Mugen. Sedans are superior to coupes in every way. laugh

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/10/20 7:09 a.m.

I dig mine it was also free which is the correct price for strut Hondas of any flavor. If you lower them too much the steering geometry goes weird(er) and the K20A3 is kinda disappointing if you're used to being cams, springs, and a timing tensioner away from 10,000rpm happy time. 

Various companies are starting to pay attention to this platform. Since we built this awd conversion both S1 and HCP have brought out rear differential mounts. For less ambitious builds the parts are out there already. A TSX engine, LSD SI trans, and a Kpro makes for a very neat little hot hatch. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RaSGpNq9HN2OYFCGypFBZWmT8z3QHaiGSmVfOzLbDFlm0XI4Km5m2enQB6CR26VB