logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/17/17 10:33 p.m.

Asking for a friend.....devil

Just how bad of a nightmare are 80s era Toyota vans to work on?

Like these-

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
10/17/17 11:05 p.m.

With the driver's seat removed and the access panel open you have access to almost 30% of the engine! laugh

They are even worse to drive than they are to servicecheeky

I have good friends who had one for ever and I was their only handy friend. I got to know it pretty well., But that was like a decade ago.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/17/17 11:27 p.m.

1uzfe swap in the back. Magical times. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/18/17 5:47 a.m.

I have nothing of value to add to this thread except to say how badly I want one of those.  I've always wanted to have a cars and coffee type cruiser I can bring the entire family to the show in and this would be up near the top of my list.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/18/17 6:24 a.m.

It's been a while since I've worked on one, but it seemed like anything I did involved climbing around the interior, then crawling underneath, then back into the interior, then using rust holes as access ports, then opening the hood, then crawling underneath, the rolling around the interior, then......

and after all that, you have a slow, ugly van. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/18/17 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

And you made fun of me for the green dune buggy donk thing!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/18/17 7:45 a.m.

I'm sitting here trying to remember if they are worse than a Previa, but thankfully it's been so long since I have seen one, I don't remember.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/18/17 9:05 a.m.

I always thought one of those painted up like a Star Trek shuttlecraft would be cool.  I eventually saw one in Houston like that.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/18/17 9:17 a.m.

Nothing to add on ease of maintenance, but I really want a 4WD version of this.  Fortunately for my sanity, most of the survivors seem to be in the Pacific Northwest, thousands of miles from me.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/18/17 10:12 a.m.

In reply to eastsidemav :

I recently saw a posting for a JDM (RHD) 4WD, diesel, 5 spd version.  Unfortunately, I can't find the link. I think it was on a FB group about obscure cars.  Asking price was about $8500.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/17 4:01 p.m.

I have been toying around with replacing my GMC that is "going to live on a farm in the country" due to rust issues with something quirky, but I came to my senses today.  I figure its best to stick with something that has cheap and easy to find parts.  

The ad that started the question

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/17 4:57 p.m.

the ad states the best reason for owning one.. to make into a camper

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/18/17 5:01 p.m.

I found the ad I saw.  Actually a '92 Previa, so not entirely the same, but still cool.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/18/17 7:25 p.m.

I learned to drive manual on one of these, I believe it was an '88. It was SO cool. I swear you could probably fit 10 people in that thing. It had huge rear sun roof and even a cooler. 

My dad sold it when it needed a new head gasket, if I remember right it was a lot of money to fix since no one wants to work on it. But I really think he sold it so his teenage son wouldn't be able to drive around with 9 friends, smoke rolling out the windows. 

I would buy one and just budget extra money to have someone else do the work so you don't have to.

I've been looking at these and Previas lately as a good camping van. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/18/17 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

That van is very, very cool. Wow. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
byRhBgted2Ej15Um1xJZ56WINYSBMt5LPVFqFkU3acF4bfEoOrFjduVWA9qeIfvY