1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/15 12:00 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: Because of the block's shortness, I'm calling it the old inline 4 with a turbo. Since Keith did not mention a second turbo, the motor has to be inline.

That's a Buick six valve cover under there, and the plumbing is what the OE Buick turbo setup looked like. (Also Pontiac 301)

One turbo, mounted up top in a drawthrough arrangement.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/15 12:02 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: Because of the block's shortness, I'm calling it the old inline 4 with a turbo. Since Keith did not mention a second turbo, the motor has to be inline.

Well, I've driven a single turbo V engine - but more importantly, I don't know anything beyond what's in the ad. So it could have one turbo per cylinder as far as I know.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/15 12:05 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I think this is a CJ6 or Scrambler; it's longer than a normal Jeep.

It's not a CJ-6. They had the small door openings like a CJ-5. This guy started with a CJ-8 Scrambler. I don't know how to explain the rest.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
11/23/15 12:23 p.m.

Feels like kind of a waste of a Scrambler, but all the ones I've seen here have been rotted through like crazy, so maybe it just got out of hand once the base auto-shop welder got broken out.

Keith Tanner
11/23/15 12:25 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: It would make a lot of sense that this was set up to run a roof-mounted gun - look at the huge hydraulic lines going to the roof. Hmm, big gun on the roof, independent suspension all-around and 4WS...I think what we have here is a DIY Halo Warthog

That's what I want it to be But there are vents on the front of that box with the huge lines, so they might be AC lines.

Keith Tanner
11/23/15 12:27 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: wonder what axle

IFS.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/15 12:39 p.m.

Independent front and rear were the first things I noticed.

NickD
NickD Reader
11/23/15 2:39 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
NickD wrote: You could get the old 225ci oddfire Buick V6 with a draw-through carbureted turbo setup from '78-'82
Who made it? Buick switched to even fire in '77.

Whoops, I forgot that the early turbo carb V6s were the 231 evenfire. Still, where a 225 oddfire goes, a 231 evenfire will also go.

Doesn't look too dissimilar though. Upper radiator hose placement looks the same, and the carburetor bonnet (just reclocked in the Jeep application)

Knurled
11/23/15 4:48 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

No worries. I didn't know if someone else kept making the odd-fire 225 under license, or maybe if Jeep kept making it since maybe they kept rights to the engine when they sold it back to Buick after they bought it from them...

And I heard that Rover made their own V6 version of the Buick V8 after they were producing it for a while, because why not?

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/15 6:56 p.m.
pres589 wrote: HUMVEE prototyping project?

That would be my guess. The early 80s everyone was looking for modern Jeep replacements. The gauges and knobs were possibly to monitor various functions being tested.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
11/23/15 8:46 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:
pres589 wrote: HUMVEE prototyping project?
That would be my guess. The early 80s everyone was looking for modern Jeep replacements. The gauges and knobs were possibly to monitor various functions being tested.

That, or a failed humvee competitor.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
11/24/15 7:37 a.m.

The driveline and suspension look really light duty. The frame looks serious though. Who ever built this had an awesome scrap pile when they started. I'm guessing this won't include an operating manual.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/24/15 8:02 a.m.

Our tax dollars at work. It sure looks like some sort of development mule, doesn't it? Canadian Hummer.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 8:07 a.m.

I was involved with this project when I worked at DARPA. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Let's just say that finding people in spider holes required some special kit...

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/24/15 8:15 a.m.

anybody here bid on it yet?

Minimum bid $2K

6.5 hours left as of now

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
11/24/15 8:17 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

So this is a top secret highly classified project that is now for sale on the internet?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/15 8:49 a.m.

one of you better win the auction so we can learn what all those knobs do. with video.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/15 9:51 a.m.

Looks like bidding is closed, does that mean it's going to be scrapped? Would've been a nice offroad rig if nothing else...

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
11/24/15 10:14 a.m.

This was my favorite part of the description: "Many sensors for various unknown things all can be read electronically from glove box"

Wish it had been in the states...I would have bid for the hell of it.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/24/15 10:20 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Looks like bidding is closed, does that mean it's going to be scrapped? Would've been a nice offroad rig if nothing else...

Closing Date: 24-November-2015 @ 3:35 p.m. EASTERN TIME

Keith Tanner
11/24/15 11:33 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: I'm guessing this won't include an operating manual.

There are a lot of automotive forensics in someone's future.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
11/24/15 1:24 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Well, I've driven a single turbo V engine - but more importantly, I don't know anything beyond what's in the ad. So it could have one turbo per cylinder as far as I know.

I'm still looking for a crossover pipe in that hot mess.

Knurled
11/24/15 4:52 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
I'm still looking for a crossover pipe in that hot mess.

I take it that you are unfamiliar with 60s-70s era GM products.

Practically all low-end GMs crossed the driver's side exhaust under the engine to the passenger side, and then the passenger side had the exiting pipe.

The pipe on the left is the outlet. The pipe on the right is the inlet to the turbo. The crossover from the left side is under the oil pan.

Let's see if this hotlinks.

That's what the OE Buick Turbo drawthrough setup looked like minus the pipes.

The interesting thing is, this historical remnant of wanting to force exhaust through the intake manifold for carb heat (thermostatically block off the crossover, all left exhaust goes through the intake manifold - simple!) made it so easy for Buick to turbocharge with a single turbo, they kept it right up to the intercooled EFI era. left side blows up into the back of the right side, right side blows into the turbo, and the turbo sits sideways in front of the engine.

I can't find any pics of the crossover online, and all of my personal Buick experience is on cold-air EFI cars, but the principle is the same:  photo GEDC0266.jpg

So, to recap, the engine in this Jeep is apparently nothing special, just a production carbureted turbo Buick engine probably yanked out of a LeSabre or something.

Knurled
11/24/15 6:03 p.m.

An aside - I tuned a GN today that was running a sextet of 60lb injectors to 85% duty cycle, plus a whole lot of methanol, smooth and clean and detonation free. These little things are really starting to grow on me.

I'm not sure if I'm into the whole G-body thing, a nice one is expensive, but the GN engine puts the exhaust on the right side just like a rotary, and a lot of the GN-specific parts are the ones I'd either replace or we stock anyway, so I wouldn't even have to start with a GN engine... and at that point, a Series II 3800 makes the '109 block look like a SBC versus an LS1, and Series IIs grow on trees.

Dangit.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/27/15 12:05 p.m.

This thing is so insane, I had to write about it. I gave you guys a shout out.

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/strange-mystery-jeep-anything-stock-check-weirdness/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZSDphmqenFJVo9SslsNy0wdTzq44lZAwllCpnKvVBUaqR9aea0YqybJhCQgg6GWE