Taiden
Taiden New Reader
5/23/09 9:55 p.m.

Yeah, well I bled the brakes. A lot. Finally got the car registered and on the road with no bubbles in the lines. Whoopie!

When I'm at a stop light my brake pedal slowly moves to the ground. When I'm driving and I brake I have a squishy pedal but it doesn't drop.

I believe this to be a fudged master cylinder. Peanut gallery?

I could buy new Honda OEM master cylinder for my 89 Si for a very low price of $160, but that's 32% of the cost of my car thus far.

That leaves me with reman or rebuilding my own. Rock auto and Autozone both have remans for ~$40... or I could buy an OEM primary and secondary piston for ~$45... but I have no idea how clean the bore is.

Is there a specific reman brand that can be trusted over others?

wwGRMd?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/23/09 10:03 p.m.

Yup, your M/C is bypassing internally.

Buy a reman and get on with it.

Shawn

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
5/24/09 7:39 a.m.

yup.. Need new mc..

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
5/24/09 8:38 a.m.

I just went through that same scenario on my 91 CRX. I like Centric brand for most replacement brake parts. I just paid $99 for one from carpart.com. Everyone local was $30-60 more and special order on top of that(3-6 days out anyway). They do free ground shipping over $50 also.

Good luck, and don't forget to bench bleed the new master!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/09 4:33 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I could buy new Honda OEM master cylinder for my 89 Si for a very low price of $160, but that's 32% of the cost of my car thus far.

No LOGIC! Leave it at the door. If we were logical people here, it would be Grassroots commuting as we would all be driving econoboxes and view our cars as simple appliances.

Taiden
Taiden New Reader
5/24/09 5:06 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Taiden wrote: I could buy new Honda OEM master cylinder for my 89 Si for a very low price of $160, but that's 32% of the cost of my car thus far.
No LOGIC! Leave it at the door. If we were logical people here, it would be Grassroots commuting as we would all be driving econoboxes and view our cars as simple appliances.

So you think I should pony up for the Honda MC? I'm thinking about just going NAPA reman at this point.

mad_machine
5/24/09 5:31 p.m.

no.. but to worry about what percentage of your car's worth you are spending is defeatest.

I am all for saving money, trust me

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/24/09 9:00 p.m.

Now you get to play around with bench-bleeding the MC. Then re-bleeding the entire system.

At least you know that none of the old brake fluid will reside in your system, anywhere.

Taiden
Taiden New Reader
5/24/09 10:13 p.m.

Well I just bought a reman master cylinder from RockAuto. I got a Cardone because I heard through the internet grape vine that they are decent.

Gonna order Hawk HPS and brembo blanks when I decide that I'm not stopping fast enough.

mad_machine
5/24/09 10:48 p.m.

good choices.

FindlaySpeedMan
FindlaySpeedMan New Reader
5/25/09 3:47 a.m.
Mad Machine said: no.. but to worry about what percentage of your car's worth you are spending is defeatest.

What if it's a BABE rally car?

Taiden
Taiden New Reader
5/25/09 8:12 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: good choices.

So far my master cylinder has cost 6.3915% of my build.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q7WCEJPE6kojyNkvZRatBpBDCrd9B2nzuATUtDAFV4bm4wOqqrD8mQNL8YRRcJul