Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/28/14 11:51 a.m.

...and I am trying to figure out:

Is it a requirement to be a self-absorbed loud mouth douchebag to own a new fancy Porsche? Or do you become one after buying one?

Type Q
Type Q Dork
7/28/14 12:00 p.m.

I know someone with GT2 who bought it new. He definitely not a loud mouth douche-bag. Every car with an enthusiast following has its share of DB owners. I have met Civic, Prius and Miata owners that fit that description.

wae
wae HalfDork
7/28/14 12:10 p.m.

I think that sort of purchase really only attracts two types: One is the type that is buying the car because of the car and the other type buys the car to try to make everybody else think they bought the car because of the car. Unfortunately that second type is usually loud and annoying enough to drown out the first.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
7/28/14 12:15 p.m.

People with the means to buy very expensive things are too often saddled with all the entitlement their money can buy them.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/28/14 12:26 p.m.

And he was so self-absorbed he didn't hear a word I said. The boss asked me to come out and show him the Abarth because the guy (let's call him DB) was interested. "I see you swapped out the wheels and upgraded the brakes, what else?" Me:"Nope, that's factory. I've added a CAI, Eibach springs and a short shift adapter".

DB not 30 seconds later"(...something something) so what have you done to it?"

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/28/14 12:33 p.m.

invite him out to a local autocross (and smoke him...)

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb New Reader
7/28/14 4:31 p.m.

An autocross buddy who is a PCA member told the following joke:

"Whats the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? The porcupine has the pricks on the outside...." (rimshot)

Rog

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/28/14 7:15 p.m.
Jerry wrote: ...and I am trying to figure out: Is it a requirement to be a self-absorbed loud mouth douchebag to own a new fancy Porsche? Or do you become one after buying one?

Now take that situation and combine it with a FaceBook group for the local Cars & Coffee folks. A good, down to earth, friend helped start the C&C event, so I went a few times and participated in the group to keep tabs on the special cars that show-up, etc. It quickly turned into elitist douche-nozzles that spent their time complaining that pleebs in "lower" cars were always in their way on the roads. Usually they pointed fingers at Prius owners. Even though I've had to dodge my share of Corvettes and other fast cars on the freeways.

Last straw was when I pointed out to one of the well-heeled folks that perhaps when he popped the oil cooler in his Lotus one-eleven that perhaps he should have gotten off the track before he drove through 6, count them, 6 corners and into pit lane. He started in on the personal attacks and everyone else joined his camp since I only have a lowly 944 Turbo instead of the Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren's, etc that he has.

The unfortunate part is that the majority of the folks that show up at the events drive really cool cars and are generally awesome people. I'm more interested in the Miata's, SR20 powered RX-7's, Engine swapped Fiero's, home-builts, etc. that show up instead of the folks that had their banks write a check for their cars. I'm not knocking them, I'd gladly do the same if I were in their place, but I certainly wouldn't have my nose in the air.

pirate
pirate Reader
7/28/14 8:24 p.m.

Why do you guys let that stuff bother you. There are jerks in every hobby be it cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. Just walk away and concentrate on the interesting cars and the people that own them. Jerks thrive on thinking they are superior and talking down to everyone else.I refuse to give them that power and take away the joy of what I am doing. When people quit talking to them or avoid them they will either come around or move on to the next toy and another group they can annoy. Either way it probably doesn't even occur to them or do they care if they annoyed you.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/28/14 9:24 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Our Dayton Cars and Coffee has stayed pretty mellow. Even the Ferrari guys talk to us lowly Miata and Eclipse people, even this bearded guy with my Abarth.....

Opti
Opti Reader
7/28/14 10:45 p.m.

Normally the ones at the track are cool. Guy in a carrera GT a few years ago was cool as E36 M3, walked by the car and said something about it to a friend, the owner heard me and goes where is yours. I told him I had a camaro that had drag suspension, and it wouldnt get around the track well. He told me, "SOOO, just think of it as a bunch of short drag races, followed by curved pit roads" then we both laughed and bullE36 M3ted about subarus for some reason.

Saw a GT3 at Texas Motorsport Ranch with a big sticker on it that said "Dont tell my wife Im at the track." He was pretty cool to.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
7/29/14 5:24 a.m.

DB (after you just explained your mods: "So, what have you done to it?"

OP: "I already told you. Nice talkin' to you though" (turns back on DB and walks away shaking head"

DBs only notice when someone gets the upper hand in some way. Subtlety is best in these situations.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/14 5:35 a.m.

Maybe the guy is a little socially awkward. I'm sure I've been involves in more than few conversations where things have been repeated.

Remember, he asked about your car, he wasn't just showing off his car. Some guys with nice cars are jerks, but I've found the vast majority are pretty cool if you give them a chance.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/29/14 6:58 a.m.

He also stopped in to visit the bicycle shop across from us. He came back afterwards and I could hear him (like he was standing next to me but was on the other end of the shop, I mentioned loud-mouthed right?)telling my boss how he just dropped like $600 on (something) and he never gets out of there without spending (insert large amount here).

Go back to your expensive toy that you just had to take up 2 parking spots with.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/29/14 7:48 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: DBs only notice when someone gets the upper hand in some way. Subtlety is best in these situations.

The answer is Ass Pennies.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/14 7:49 a.m.

Vintage, long nose 911? Nope. Always a great person. Newer models, well...yeah.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/14 8:42 a.m.

Just to even out things in the world, I'll present the flip side.

There's a gentleman in town with a GT2RS. And a GT3. And a GT3 4.0. And a '50s Speedster. And several other six-figure cars. Oh, and a genuine seven-figure car.

He has opened his shop for informal gatherings, brought his cars to events, and always seems happy to be part of the scene.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/29/14 9:19 a.m.

He may be a DB but he is spending cash at local business.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
7/29/14 9:25 a.m.

So, Jerry, what mods have you done to the Abarth anyway?

beans
beans Dork
7/30/14 9:14 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: DBs only notice when someone gets the upper hand in some way. Subtlety is best in these situations.
The answer is Ass Pennies.

Glorious.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
7/31/14 7:38 p.m.

I've always found Porsche owners to only fall into one of two categories - really nice guys or total douche bags. There is no middle ground from what I've seen. Will add that the nicer guys usually are driving the older classics and not the latest model from what I've observed.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
8/1/14 8:20 a.m.

Think "Fipping Las Vegas" Sheesh!

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
8/1/14 11:34 a.m.

Just laugh at them. It's really hard to condescend to someone who is laughing at you.

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/1/14 12:10 p.m.

Not all new-ish 911 owners are DB's... one in my home town brought his brand-new (at the time) '04 GT3 to a 944 group meet (his track car was a 951) right after he completed the break-in mileage... took us all out for a spin in it and let us drive it for a few minutes!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/1/14 12:32 p.m.

A family friend is a real live many many millionaire. He invests in two things, vases, which are not very interesting, and Corvettes, which are. He has several rare and exciting things. At the time I met him, I was maybe 18, and the big block tri power cars (he had like 5) were neat but I was drawn to a small block 63 Daytona Blue coupe.

He walks over "I love that color, look at the window etchings, they all match! This car is perfectly original. Open that door, sit down. Take it for a spin, the keys are in it! The big blocks are quick, you ought to drive one of them around, too!"

It went on. I was too chicken to drive anything, but the guy was amazing. I doubt he would have let me drive the '54 with under 1,000 miles on it, but who knows?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M8aGTuIBr61bY1or8U1qe3N6WV2hlo5ldf3mBWFfAoMEBpxiyFQHnhaClsGIPQen