1 2 3
kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
7/29/11 6:02 a.m.

I got the permanent plates for my Miata yesterday. The letter portion: "CHC". Really? Are you kidding me? As I see it, my only options are 1. Give the car irrevocably to my wife and say its been a good 10 days of ownership. 2. Get a vanity plate and wear the shame of being a Miata driving male with a vanity plate or 3. overcompensate with an LSx swap, GRM style warbird graphics and a flame belching exhaust. Any other suggestions welcome.

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
7/29/11 6:08 a.m.

How about a partial 2 and a partial 3?
2.5 - Get a vanity plate, but just a random pattern of letters and numbers that have no meaning whatsoever. (close your eyes and smash the keyboard)
3.5 - LS swap

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/29/11 6:15 a.m.

What is the significance of CHC?

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/11 6:16 a.m.
kazoospec wrote: I got the permanent plates for my Miata yesterday. The letter portion: "CHC". Really? Are you kidding me? As I see it, my only options are 1. Give the car irrevocably to my wife and say its been a good 10 days of ownership. 2. Get a vanity plate and wear the shame of being a Miata driving male with a vanity plate or 3. overcompensate with an LSx swap, GRM style warbird graphics and a flame belching exhaust. Any other suggestions welcome.

Perhaps you are being overly sensitive -- it took me a while to figure out why CHC was something worrisome.

Drive it, Enjoy it. Be confident with who you are.

3brokenhondas
3brokenhondas New Reader
7/29/11 6:21 a.m.

Um 3. Don't for some nitrous and box flaits

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
7/29/11 6:28 a.m.

I'm not truly worried, in fact its kind of funny. (In an ironic, "I just spilled paint on the new carpet, I'll laugh about this some day" kind of way.) jrw - CHC - sounded out = chic. Miata = "chic car" by reputation. If I wasn't confident in who I am, I wouldn't have bought the car. I've dished out a lot of grief to Miata owners over the years on this very issue, so perhaps this is Karma? While ZOO is probably right, and not one in 100 would pick up on it, the Miata owners I've hassled in the past will see it immediately.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/29/11 6:33 a.m.

If the plate is "stolen" do you still get the same number?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/11 6:43 a.m.

honestly, I didn't get it either until you spelled it out

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
7/29/11 6:43 a.m.

JRW - we now have an option 4 . . .

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
7/29/11 7:03 a.m.

Get a vanity plate that says manluv, that'll prove its not a chick car.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/29/11 7:22 a.m.

I didn't get it either until you spelled it out.

Then again, I had my plate for years before I realized that its letters PENIS had some significance and I needed to figure out a way to overcompensate for them.

Margie

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/29/11 7:27 a.m.
3brokenhondas wrote: Um 3. Don't for some nitrous and box flaits

Wow. You probably would benefit from proofreading your typing before hitting that Enter key.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/29/11 7:54 a.m.

Yeah, you are being way too sensitive. Drive the damned car, no one will no what you're worried about. Now if it said NAMBLA that would be different matter altogether!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/29/11 8:10 a.m.

Corndogs Hotdogs Chilidogs

Chicken Hearted Coward

Car Has Character

See, there's lots of other silly things you can insist CHC stands for.

Come, Have Candy

Cheeseburger Hamburger Corndog

Chicks Hot Car

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
7/29/11 8:12 a.m.

A Miata's reputation is as a chick car, not a chic car. Chic is "stylish or smart," chick is slang for young woman. So you just have a stylish and smart car, not a girl car! ;-)

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
7/29/11 8:37 a.m.

Can Handle Curves.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
7/29/11 8:39 a.m.
dculberson wrote: A Miata's reputation is as a *chick* car, not a chic car. Chic is "stylish or smart," chick is slang for young woman. So you just have a stylish and smart car, not a girl car! ;-)

Spelling owns me today, but I like what you did there.

Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
7/29/11 9:14 a.m.

My Xterra has a series of three numbers, a space then MUF... completely random standard assignment plates from the state of FL...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
7/29/11 9:20 a.m.

Yeah, I didn't get it at all until you spelled it out. I thought "CHC" was your SO's initials or something.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
7/29/11 11:20 a.m.

When registering my first Miata, the plate that came off the stack read "MAD 4 69". That certainly made me reluctant to let male friends ride along.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
7/29/11 11:25 a.m.
nderwater wrote: When registering my first Miata, the plate that came off the stack read "MAD 4 69". That certainly made me reluctant to let male friends ride along.

I had that image (that you had posted on the CAR forum) saved on a HD that crashed a couple of years ago. I think that I was more upset about losing that image than anything else on the drive.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
7/29/11 11:35 a.m.

my x-girlfriends dad had gay666 on his Fifth Avenue. They didn't have a great handle on English so it took all of their children to convince them it was not normal. I would have run them...

nderwater
nderwater Dork
7/29/11 11:43 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: I had that image (that you had posted on the CAR forum) saved on a HD that crashed a couple of years ago. I think that I was more upset about losing that image than anything else on the drive.

LOL!

Mad 4 69

Photobucket

3brokenhondas
3brokenhondas New Reader
7/29/11 12:03 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
3brokenhondas wrote: Um 3. Don't for some nitrous and box flaits
Wow. You probably would benefit from proofreading your typing before hitting that Enter key.

Glitchy touchscreen phone. My apologies

corytate
corytate Reader
7/29/11 2:05 p.m.

mad 4 69 is very funny

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xl2aROLd5AZM6wFOZ8ZvgtluHcsdOx9uGrHelILEJiLWkPE4UrHP53wrE3pLwivP