1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 10:34 a.m.

We only lasted a few days trying it. I love the 135, but life is too short to drive one car for too long. I haven't driven either of the new models yet, but I'm torn between an ND2 or a Gen III Coyote Mustang. 

I had a '90 track rat Miata, an NC1 as a DD, and also owned a '13 Mustang GT Track pack car for awhile.

I miss having a convertible, I miss having a V8.  I don't like any of the convertible V8 cars (outside of Mercedes but I'm not going to spend THAT much). 

If you were going to buy a '19 Miata GT-S or an '18 Mustang GT.........which one would you choose and why?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/18 10:45 a.m.

I would save up for a 2019 Bullit.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 10:47 a.m.

Honestly, the color/wheel combo doesn't work for me on the new ones. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/13/18 10:51 a.m.

As a DD, does the E82 feel small to you? If so, the Miata is not your answer. If you had no problem with the size of the 135i, then I imagine the Mustang will be feel enormous.

FWIW, I've already got an ND RF Miata on my short list of possible 128i replacements, albeit looking almost a decade into the future.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 10:54 a.m.

Hard choice, they're both good at different things...the Mustang has much higher running costs (especially if you plan to track the car) but it's also a much more practical car and it has the V8 you miss.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/13/18 10:59 a.m.

Insurance and lending may be an issue, but why not do both? What is the going rate for a LS or Coyote conversion NB or NC?

That random thought aside, I am loving having a V8. First time I've had one since high school (not including pickups), and while I've always been a "underpowered car driven fast" guy, right now I'd have to say I'd go with the Mustang.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 11:05 a.m.
02Pilot said:

As a DD, does the E82 feel small to you? If so, the Miata is not your answer. If you had no problem with the size of the 135i, then I imagine the Mustang will be feel enormous.

FWIW, I've already got an ND RF Miata on my short list of possible 128i replacements, albeit looking almost a decade into the future.

The E82 is perfectly sized as a DD. Great visibility, looks good, quick. And I've owned an NA, NC, and S197, so I'm familiar with the size part. 

I think I mostly got it because I "thought" I wanted a "grown up" car after years of driving the lowered the BRZ on Star Specs. 

In reality, I went to extreme on the suspension/wheel setup with the BRZ with the idea I'd take it to the track, then ended up getting divorced 6 months after buying it and I already had the suspension/wheels/exhaust on the car. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 11:07 a.m.
mtn said:

Insurance and lending may be an issue, but why not do both? What is the going rate for a LS or Coyote conversion NB or NC?

That random thought aside, I am loving having a V8. First time I've had one since high school (not including pickups), and while I've always been a "underpowered car driven fast" guy, right now I'd have to say I'd go with the Mustang.

I think lending would be an issue, money is too cheap to tie up cash for that (at least for me, I realize some of us here are operating a different level). 

And I honestly love the modern amenities with nice stereos and comfortable interiors. The nicest NB is still a car with an interior from the 90s. Even the '13 135 won't connect to the phone using Bluetooth for music, that annoys me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
8/13/18 11:26 a.m.

Mow about an older Boss 302. I have seen some in the 28-32K range. 

Image result for boss mustang green

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/13/18 11:57 a.m.

That is a hard choice. I suggest test driving both thoroughly. Living in the Midwest I think big rumbly V8 is the way to go. Driving a momentum car can be rather frustrating at times in the land of flat and barely any curves. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/13/18 12:12 p.m.

Mustang would be the pick for me.  Love the looks,  love the sounds,  prefer that size/style of car over the Miata.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 1:20 p.m.

Precisely, I love everything about both cars. 

It's awesome being able to drop the top and enjoy the weather, but there is also something that moves the soul about hearing a V8 roar to life.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/13/18 1:30 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

They make V8 Mustang convertibles you know...

Related image

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
8/13/18 1:41 p.m.

I'd roll the s550 convertible and be happy about it. I haven't checked to see if you can the performance pack bits on the convertible. If you can't I'm sure it can be fixed later.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/13/18 1:44 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to z31maniac :

They make V8 Mustang convertibles you know...

Related image

Yeah--is there a reason the Mustang Vert isn't being considered?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 1:55 p.m.

Yes, there is. I put it in my original post. I'm just not a fan of the Mustang or Camaro with the drop top. The styling doesn't do it for me. 

The only convertibles I like that have a V8 are from Mercedes, and I don't think I can afford one that's new enough to have the interior amenities I want out of a car. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/13/18 2:11 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Yes, there is. I put it in my original post. I'm just not a fan of the Mustang or Camaro with the drop top. The styling doesn't do it for me. 

The only convertibles I like that have a V8 are from Mercedes, and I don't think I can afford one that's new enough to have the interior amenities I want out of a car. 

Not sure what amenities you’re looking for,   but my 03 cl600 has heated and cooled seats,  heated steering wheel,  power tilt and telescope wheel,  smart key,  so keyless entry and push button start,  etc.  the higher trim levels were loaded up even 15 years ago.

An sl55 should be able to be found with similar options.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 2:34 p.m.

I know it seems silly/superfluous, but one thing I miss about the BRZ is the ability to stream music to the car. 

The BRZ automatically recognized my phone, Spotify, and started from where it left off. I know you can do aftermarket things to alleviate it, but I like OEM solutions the best, typically.

I know it's a bit OCD, but I don't like connectors/wires/etc anywhere. With the exception of the garage, my house is kind of the same way. Probably a bit sterile for some. 

As far as your CL600, it's like the NB mentioned earlier, it still has an interior from the 90s. That was one of the things I didn't like about the 987 Cayman, the interior just feels very dated. And I know #1stworldproblems.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/13/18 2:36 p.m.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/18 2:37 p.m.
mtn said:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2017-Jaguar-F-TYPE-R-AWD-t67086#listing=214139669

OOooofffff, that is SEXY. I know last year I started a thread with the $50-60k what would you buy, but I've realized I don't want to spend that much.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/13/18 2:40 p.m.

FWIW, I installed a Bluetooth adapter (I forget the exact item - it's the one most often recommended over on 1addicts) that's basically invisible. Plug into the Aux/USB in the center console (assuming you have this - I think it was standard by then), tuck unit and wires into under-armrest phone pocket. I don't use Spotify, but it picks up anything I've tried streaming through it pretty seamlessly. It's not OE, but it works fine and you see zero evidence of it being there.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/13/18 2:40 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I know it seems silly/superfluous, but one thing I miss about the BRZ is the ability to stream music to the car. 

The BRZ automatically recognized my phone, Spotify, and started from where it left off. I know you can do aftermarket things to alleviate it, but I like OEM solutions the best, typically.

I know it's a bit OCD, but I don't like connectors/wires/etc anywhere. With the exception of the garage, my house is kind of the same way. Probably a bit sterile for some. 

Completely agree with this statement. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/18 2:43 p.m.

The Mustang gets my vote.  A v8 rumble makes me happy all the time.  Light, good handling cars really only make me happy on a racetrack or when doing things that I claim I'm too much of an adult to do on public roads.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad

Do you want to wail on the car? Do you want to "have" to wail on the car? 

The downside of the Mustang is the same as the upside. It's brutally fast, this means that you get to open it up for tiny seconds at a time. Those tiny seconds will melt your eyeballs and warp space time, but unless you want to go to jail, the fun is brief on normal roads. Passing anyone is just a gear shift and a tiny slice of free road away. 

The Miata can be hammered on without disrupting traffic too much. Gear changes, heel toeing, testing corners, you can do all of that at normal-ish speeds. The down side is that sometimes you have to do that to keep up with the minivans around you. And yes, even with the ND. It's not slow, but it's not fast either and you sometimes need to hustle it.

You get used to Miata speed much faster than you get used to Mustang speed because you use it a LOT more. 

Having said all that, I buy cars emotionally and I'm much more emotionally drawn to the current Mustang than the current Miata. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork

In reply to z31maniac :

I’d still be leaning towards a loaded up,  premium package, mustang then.  A friend has a 2017 and it has all the gadgets and a very nice interior.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9fgFDjWmthNsVB61337Eg8r2jbX5e2g1wf3FeGX3jKvdR9ERELjbY31Xuge54687